GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA OEM + is38 insight

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Anyone running a HPA OEM + from ECS? I’m looking to go is38 and have been gathering information and came across this option. Just looking for some insight and or personal experience with this turbo. I have a intercooler and downpipe on deck waiting to install and while it was apart I thought now would be the best time to upgrade the turbo. Can anyone pitch in with some help. Good or bad I would like to hear it.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Member CarlosCanizares (SP?) is running this turbo and could probably provide some useful insight.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On the ECS website it's saying $2399 for that turbo. You can get an EQT Vortex for $1799 or a TPC20 for $1599 and both of those are capable of producing as much or more power.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
On the ECS website it's saying $2399 for that turbo. You can get an EQT Vortex for $1799 or a TPC20 for $1599 and both of those are capable of producing as much or more power.
The $2399 is for the HPA Hybrid turbo, which is still more expensive than the other hybrid options out there. The IS38+ is $1399USD or $1890CAN.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

I think you’re looking at the IS38 Hybrid turbo. HPA also offers an “OEM+ IS38” that is $1399.00.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Yes the OEM+ is what I’m referring to

I have that turbo and it feels just like stock minus the worry that it'll blow up one day.

I plan to keep my car for as long as I can (with a dream of getting featured in Petrolicious :cool:), my goals were never to make the most amount of HP. I wanted a good number whilst keeping the same spool-time/driveability (compared to a BT), but with better reliability for the long run. I don't track or go to the strip, so it fit my bill perfectly!

Jamie Orr's RallyWagen experiences ultimately sold me on it + HPA as a brand in general and the fact you can keep your stock tune, if you wanted to. I have a JB1 currently, but this will change in a month or so - my managing partner approved my HPA Stage 2 plans.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I can't give any insight as I don't have it, but ECS did just post a youtube video about it, might help you decide.

IMO, if you are set on IS38 then this is probably a good option for the added reliability, but I agree with the thought that for the price you are paying it's worthwhile to spend a little more and get something better.

Also, I don't think you'll be taking advantage of much by doing the install at the same time as the downpipe/intercooler. Aside from the downpipe to turbo connection, which is just one simple v-band connector nothing else is shared. If I were you I would do the downpipe and intercooler first, enjoy stage 2 for ~6 months or so while you save for the right turbo.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
If he just wants an OEM IS38 remember FCP Euro has that lifetime warranty.

Thats nice for piece of mind and all, but who da F wants to go through the hassle of pulling a busted turbo just to replace it with another that has one of the same weak spots (bearing)? Upgraded one for same/similar price is win/win. Good option in my book for a simple upgrade to IS38. Or the L one that rhymes with ittco 😁.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thats nice for piece of mind and all, but who da F wants to go through the hassle of pulling a busted turbo just to replace it with another that has one of the same weak spots (bearing)? Upgraded one for same/similar price is win/win. Good option in my book for a simple upgrade to IS38. Or the L one that rhymes with ittco 😁.

I agree with you. I just wanted the OP to be aware of options. Personally if I wanted an OEM version I would go with the Littco.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I agree with this. And that's if you're lucky enough that the blown turbo didn't take the engine out with it.