GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Product Description:
The TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace dramatically reduces master cylinder/firewall deflection and greatly improves brake pedal response. Installation is relatively simple and should take about 25 mins. CNC machined from 6061 T6 billet aluminum. After installation, you will feel a firmer brake pedal with less overall travel compared to stock. The benefit is magnified the harder and faster you push the pedal. Enjoy your newfound braking power.

Unboxing & Initial Impressions:
-This is one of the nicest product boxes I have ever seen, color product logos on the outside and egg crate foam lining the inside of the box.
-The overall weight of the TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace is extremely light (-see Spinozaman’s photo-)
-The machining is clean and very smooth
-The leveling foot and hardware are high quality

Installation:
As per the -TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Install Instructions-, this is a straightforward installation and should take no longer than 30 minutes to complete.

Remove Intake, Battery Cover & Disconnect Battery Terminals:

Remove Battery Hold Down Bracket:

Remove Battery & Battery Tray Completely:

Trim Plastic Battery Tray As Per TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Install Instructions:

Trim Foam Under Battery Tray As Per TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Install Instructions:

Test Fit TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Into Battery Tray:

Trim Plastic Battery Tray Further If Needed:

Tighten Leveling Foot By Hand Against Master Cylinder:
After the leveling foot it tightened by hand to make contact with the master cylinder, give the leveling foot an additional 1/8-1/4 turn of preload to ensure they are firmly mated. Lastly, secure the jam nut against the Master Cylinder Brace.

Reinstall Battery Hold Down Bracket & Battery, Reconnect Battery Terminals & Cover:

TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace Overall Results and Recommendations:
I wasn’t able to test the master cylinder/firewall deflection but I believe it as per the TyrolSport video posted above and especially after feeling the difference that the Master Cylinder Brace made. Installation is extremely simple if you have access to basic cutting tools and a wrench set. Once the battery tray was trimmed, the Master Cylinder Brace fit like a glove when re-installing the battery tray bolts and the leveling foot lined up with the master cylinder perfectly.

After installation, I tested the pedal in several ways. While driving at low speeds and barely using the brakes I felt a shorter period of the spongy dead zone when initially depressing the brake pedal and waiting for the brakes to take effect (first 10-15% of pedal travel). While driving normally around town and using the brakes moderately, the brake pedal felt firmer with less overall travel, basically helping you stop faster with a little less input than before (15-50% of pedal travel). While driving fast and testing full brake capability it was like an on / off switch with full braking response on command (100% of pedal travel).

You will absolutely recognize a firmer brake pedal with less overall travel compared to stock. As TyrolSport said, the benefit is magnified the harder and faster you push the pedal. Adding this TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace to my StopTech ST-40 328mm rotor brake kit, StopTech stainless steel lines, StopTech Street Performance pads, the pedal modulation felt much better and overall it feels very balanced as you utilize the full range of the brake pedal. I am really looking forward to taking this out for an HPDE event this Spring.

On a side note, it truly amazes me that companies like TyrolSport can produce the smallest vehicle solutions which make the largest impact. First they look to perfect several aspects of a vehicle in house by determining root causes and ultimately how they can improve it. From there they spend countless hours and dollars to engineer and refine their prototypes. TyrolSport then tests their prototypes on the street and track before launching a perfected version of their solution to the enthusiast market. Its companies like this that I will be the first one in line for their latest products (rear trunk brace next up!) and add pure value to the marketplace. Ever since I sat down with Mike and Greg to hear about the development of their front subframe deadset collar kit, I knew that TyrolSport would strive to continue producing only the highest quality products. After the R&D, prototypes, salary hours and stress to achieve perfection, I feel their products are absolutely worth the price and the guarantee of tangible performance gains.

Last edited:

col-buddy-greenleaf

Ready to race!
Nice review, as always. I have one of these on my shelf waiting for install.

Tyrolsport is a top notch company. I've had their brake bushings, side mount Intercooler for my Mk4. All great products.

ken518

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review, thanks for writing this up. I've been following the development of the master cylinder brace for the last few months and was eagerly waiting for the initial reviews. Looks like I've found my next upgrade.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Once again, your review will cause me to part with some hard earned cash.

Nice write up. :)

Lol, we're all going broke together

Rear trunk brace like a unibrace xb?

Yes, their FB page has photos, carbon fiber parts and evidently uses the existing trunk hook locations.

Nice review, as always. I have one of these on my shelf waiting for install.

Tyrolsport is a top notch company. I've had their brake bushings, side mount Intercooler for my Mk4. All great products.

Same here, front and rear deadset bushings, SSBB kit and Master Brace

Great review, thanks for writing this up. I've been following the development of the master cylinder brace for the last few months and was eagerly waiting for the initial reviews. Looks like I've found my next upgrade.

You're welcome, it's legit and very easy to install.

This has been on my wish list for a while. The stock brakes are not good enough for the stock car, let alone a modded one. Pedal feel is especially important to me.

Same here, the OEM brake system is very squishy, the Stoptech kit feels much better but this just perfected the brake pedal.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
wow just saw the rear brace, using existing trunk hook locations sounds even more exciting...but looks pretty pricey

MPGjagov

any NVH at all from this? i'm assuming no, but want to be sure. i have issues with any vibrations in my pedals/shifter. it's one of my many, many issues...

also, you snug the jam not up against the side of the bracket, yes?

thanks for the review. will be ordering one of these.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
any NVH at all from this? i'm assuming no, but want to be sure. i have issues with any vibrations in my pedals/shifter. it's one of my many, many issues...

also, you snug the jam not up against the side of the bracket, yes?

thanks for the review. will be ordering one of these.

No NVH at all, any vibrations you may have are probably caused by your intake rubbing against your master cylinder resevoir. snug the stopper against the cylinder and give it another 1/4 turn with a wrench.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have this installed?

I've been going insane the last couple of months thinking I had a subframe or other suspension clunk. I even installed the Tyrol Subframe bushings because of it...

I finally figured it out it was this master cylinder brace. Since it is pressed against the MC when the body flexes going up driveways or on small bumps it shifts and clunks on the MC. Anyone else have this issue? Sounds terrible. I did add more pressure to the brace and it does not do it as much now but it still is there.