GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
I'm 58, so I've got the same perspective as you Sandman.
I've been a big nature and science fan, so I've followed all of this since I was little.
I remember so many of these shows, stories etc.
Having lived through any number of catastrophic changes that didn't come, I'm quite comfortable in the belief that this one isn't coming either.
I'm older than that, but still subject to learning. I've watched the environmental movements go from recycling to catalytic converters to various clean water regulations, then onto to dire warnings about overall climate change to melting glaciers, now onto to demand for radical changes and tens of trillions of dollars. If they backup up a bit, to the smog emissions regulations that actually worked, various protections to water quality that partly worked, and the incredible gains in vehicle efficiency, they should pause and give credit. No question that the many coal plants around the country caused great environmental and physical harm, I've seen the ravages of acid rain go down to practically nothing, forests recovered, air quality was vastly improved. The entire climate change movement was hijacked by people with motives ranging from economic to just plain power. Savvy entrepreneurs that share little of the activist's concerns took advantage of tax credits and government dollars to sell everything from EVs to solar panels to monstrous wind turbines. Most of it with little concern for whatever environmental impacts they caused by their own actions. Activists work fast and furious now to make demands that have seemingly little bearing on the actual end results, scientific or otherwise. The rush to judgment has made a mockery of the peer-review process, and created a sub-industry of pseudo-scientists in the process.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm older than that, but still subject to learning. I've watched the environmental movements go from recycling to catalytic converters to various clean water regulations, then onto to dire warnings about overall climate change to melting glaciers, now onto to demand for radical changes and tens of trillions of dollars. If they backup up a bit, to the smog emissions regulations that actually worked, various protections to water quality that partly worked, and the incredible gains in vehicle efficiency, they should pause and give credit. No question that the many coal plants around the country caused great environmental and physical harm, I've seen the ravages of acid rain go down to practically nothing, forests recovered, air quality was vastly improved. The entire climate change movement was hijacked by people with motives ranging from economic to just plain power. Savvy entrepreneurs that share little of the activist's concerns took advantage of tax credits and government dollars to sell everything from EVs to solar panels to monstrous wind turbines. Most of it with little concern for whatever environmental impacts they caused by their own actions. Activists work fast and furious now to make demands that have seemingly little bearing on the actual end results, scientific or otherwise. The rush to judgment has made a mockery of the peer-review process, and created a sub-industry of pseudo-scientists in the process.
I'm in 100% agreement.
I'm a quite the nature guy myself, always been a big fan of keeping the air and water clean. Which is by the way, not necessarily the same thing as reducing greenhouse emissions, though alarmists are quite happy to blur the distinction.
I'm a big Carl Sagan fan as well, (read all of his books, watched the original Cosmos with my dad) so I was on board when he warned of the possibility of a greenhouse effect.
I've watched in relative horror as Sagan's warning of a possibility got hijacked as a "crisis."
Well, it went from Global Warming, to Climate Change, to Climate Crisis. (I call that marketing.)
And it's happening "Now!" according to the advocates.
But these same advocates claim to also have the solution.
Just vote for them, give them money and power, and they'll lower the temperature of a planet.
But, "You've got to act fast!" as advertisers often say.
"Vote for us now, we'll save you all!"

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
A big step for them now is the ban of after market tunes. Just watch, this is first step. They will in time control what and how often you drive. Free will will go away to save it all.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Not sure how old you are but I am 56. In the 70’s the teaching was that an ice age was coming. How we would all be under ice. I remember the 77 winter. We had moved to Alabama and our sleds from Wisconsin came in handy after an ice storm. These are the same people who said paper bags were bad as they killed all the trees. Plastic bags are what we needed. So for 40 years we use plastic bags. Now plastic bags are bad and we need to use paper or cloth bags. We need to manage the world we live in, wisely use resources, take care of all living creatures. We are in charge so we need to handle it right. But be alert to idiots who think they know all. In 40 years we all might be in ice. Or water, or ice, maybe water. Maybe a desert.

ftfy