GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yes, that's the way I feel right now.
I've been trying to rationalize the idea that I'd take the GTI out on GTI days.
But looking at it realistically, I don't think that would happen often enough to warrant the expense and room.
It would be better for me to have the money from a sale or trade of the GTI, than to have the GTI.

It makes the experience more special, IMO. Definitely worth the extra cost of owning an extra vehicle to me. Plus when I get her all nice and clean and shiny it stays that way cause if it rains she is staying in the garage.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I actually went to autotempest the other day and searched for every car under $40k. I only got through a few pages. It didn't take me long to realize there's nothing else out there I want. I can't afford the porsches I like and I like my hatches, so I guess I'm driving a GTI/R my entire life.
That's been essentially my conclusion, only recently rocked a bit by the MK8 not exactly winning me over.
Growing on me, but I had to have a MK7, the MK8 isn't exactly calling me.
That, coupled with some of the limitations of some of the things that I would like to do - but won't do with my GTI because I don't want to treat it that way.
Now along comes this Santa Cruz looking all good, and not actually being a truck...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The Santa Fe does intrigue me, but that lack of buttons for the infotainment system is a hard no.
Yes, but that's something the MK8 also shares.
And the screens on the Santa Cruz look more straight forward than those on the MK8.
I've got a harder time forgiving non physical controls on a car that's supposed to be more performance focused.

bentin

Autocross Champion
When my last car was totaled, I was in a Chevy Colorado for a few months while that got sorted. I bike a lot, so having a truck is nice, but I'd never want or need a full sized truck. The Colorado was pretty decent, and something like the Santa Cruz or the Honda Ridgeline is pretty appealing. The Jeep Gladiator appeals to me for their value retention and the ability to pull the roof off, but they're so big I would struggle to get it in my garage.

Ultimately, I think I want mild off road ability, the chance to get to deeper camp sites and explore more of Big Bend would be nice and it would make a much better ski vehicle than the GTI which is limited by it's ground clearance. I would love a new Bronco two door, but I'm also hoping that they knock down the used prices on two door Wranglers a little bit. I'm fine with street parking a Wrangler or Bronco and both are easy to toss my bike rack on the hitch. Plus both come with all three pedals, something most small trucks don't offer.

But then the Emira calls, who needs two practical cars when you could have one totally impractical one? Camping, schmamping...

torga

Autocross Champion
But then the Emira calls, who needs two practical cars when you could have one totally impractical one? Camping, schmamping...
A buddy of mine actually put a deposit on one, but he's not sure if he wants the Mercedes turbo 4cyl with DCT, or the Toyota supercharged V6 with manual trans. He's already got a 4Runner, so he's got the practicality front covered.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I'd do the Toyota motor and manual, but I do suspect the AMG lump is going to be the quicker car.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I'd do the Toyota motor and manual, but I do suspect the AMG lump is going to be the quicker car.
His reasoning for being conflicted is he believes the AMG-equipped model might end up being the rarer, more sought-after car down the line.
But seeing as how this will be Lotus's last ICE car... getting the manual, supercharged V6 just feels right.

bentin

Autocross Champion
His reasoning for being conflicted is he believes the AMG-equipped model might end up being the rarer, more sought-after car down the line.
But seeing as how this will be Lotus's last ICE car... getting the manual, supercharged V6 just feels right.
Yeah, but the DSG and huge power from a 2.0L should be pretty fun. If they'd offered the AMG with a manual, the way Aston Martin does, I'd have been intrigued, plus it's a Lotus, it should have a four banger.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah, but the DSG and huge power from a 2.0L should be pretty fun. If they'd offered the AMG with a manual, the way Aston Martin does, I'd have been intrigued, plus it's a Lotus, it should have a four banger.
Lotuses should only have 4 bangers if the roof doesn't even come up to my hips and it's barely longer than my bed. The Emira is a chunky car, much closer to the Evora than the Elise. But then again, there is nothing wimpy about that AMG 4cyl.

torga

Autocross Champion
I am somewhat considering the Ford Maverick when they come out. I like the size and the price of those.
As long as they're quality vehicles, I personally think Ford came out with the most devastating trucks in recent memory. The Maverick has SUCH a low MSRP and so many people have been begging for a quality, affordable small truck. And don't even get me started on the Lightning (love the cheeky callback name). That truck was designed specifically to please the crowd that scoffs at EVs, and was especially designed to shut Elon Musk's mouth right up. It's got everything!! I think these things are gonna sell like hotcakes.

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
As long as they're quality vehicles, I personally think Ford came out with the most devastating trucks in recent memory. The Maverick has SUCH a low MSRP and so many people have been begging for a quality, affordable small truck. And don't even get me started on the Lightning (love the cheeky callback name). That truck was designed specifically to please the crowd that scoffs at EVs, and was especially designed to shut Elon Musk's mouth right up. It's got everything!! I think these things are gonna sell like hotcakes.

I'll have to drive it and see what I think. The price seems pretty good. I don't need a fully loaded one either. My uncle had a couple of Honda Ridgeline's and I liked those. The new ones are really expensive and I justify the price of them. I am torn between driving my car until it dies or get something else. Time will tell.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
I've been in a similar boat lately. Considering getting back into motocross, but don't want to drag a trailer with the lowered GTI (most track's driveways are dirt/sand/rough) because I just see it being a disaster. I've been considering the Santa Cruz, Taco, Maverick, or even a Ford Transit Connect. It would be my daily though, so the van (while cool and could be purpose built in the cargo area) would be a bit odd haha.

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been in a similar boat lately. Considering getting back into motocross, but don't want to drag a trailer with the lowered GTI (most track's driveways are dirt/sand/rough) because I just see it being a disaster. I've been considering the Santa Cruz, Taco, Maverick, or even a Ford Transit Connect. It would be my daily though, so the van (while cool and could be purpose built in the cargo area) would be a bit odd haha.

The Transit's are pretty neat. My uncle was looking for one as work vehicle. So there was one local and I drove it and really liked it. I could see it as a daily no problem. They are small and drive much like a car.