GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Twin boys eh - that must be awesome - like a mini militia.
Yeah, it's been great.
It's kind of amazing that they were in booster seats in the back of my MK6 GTI, a car I drove them to school and summer camp in.
Now here they are driving their own vehicles.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, it's been great.
It's kind of amazing that they were in booster seats in the back of my MK6 GTI, a car I drove them to school and summer camp in.
Now here they are driving their own vehicles.
Funny, I just moved my six year old from the center to the side and switched him from the harness to a regular seat belt. You'd have thought he'd won the lottery. In just three days, he's already made me consider deploying the child window lock!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Funny, I just moved my six year old from the center to the side and switched him from the harness to a regular seat belt. You'd have thought he'd won the lottery. In just three days, he's already made me consider deploying the child window lock!
Ha! It's a great journey, isn't it?
You've got many years of it left too.
Six, seven, eight, nine... Loved those years! Probably the most fun.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
I will not be having children despite my desire to, because I genuinely believe the world as we know it will end in the next 20-30 years.

Automation combined with climate destabilization will lead to massive job loss/economic upheaval. We're already seeing the effects that societal destabilization has in the Middle East and European countries who don't want the refugees (right-wingers rallying around ye-ole nationalist rhetoric, leading to a resurgence of fascism). As the climate really starts to oust populations from sea-level areas, wars will ensue. In fact, my friend is in the Navy and has a Masters in GIS. His job is called "Environmental Security" - it's his job to analyze and model areas where sea-level rise will lead to population displacement, and assess the most likely place people will go to, in order to anticipate possible conflict areas far in advance.

I aint tryina put kids through that.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I will not be having children despite my desire to, because I genuinely believe the world as we know it will end in the next 20-30 years.

Automation combined with climate destabilization will lead to massive job loss/economic upheaval. We're already seeing the effects that societal destabilization has in the Middle East and European countries who don't want the refugees (right-wingers rallying around ye-ole nationalist rhetoric, leading to a resurgence of fascism). As the climate really starts to oust populations from sea-level areas, wars will ensue. In fact, my friend is in the Navy and has a Masters in GIS. His job is called "Environmental Security" - it's his job to analyze and model areas where sea-level rise will lead to population displacement, and assess the most likely place people will go to, in order to anticipate possible conflict areas far in advance.

Wow you are a glass half empty kind of guy. Kids are great, do your job right & they grow up to be great people. I understand somewhat about not wanting to bring a child into this farked up world. My wife & I adopted. Best thing we have ever done. He is a grown man now & a good one who is trying to help make his world a better place. We are so proud of him. Just my .02......

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
If i had to get a truck and not want full size it would be the maverick. Not super keen on the looks but the hybrid and price puts it way over the competition. Most of the trucks have very similar mileage and price for most of the decent optioned one so you might as well go a get a nice midsize or full-size

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, our parents had to be sure we'd all die in a nuclear holocaust. Or a civil rights uprising. Or a famine. Or whatever. It's always something, we're animals. But kids are great, hadn't planned on having one, but it's been the perfect thing and wildly changed who I am.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Definitely fun. My son is turning 6 and he may be naughty at times but he is just so fun to be with.
I found it to be an age when they love doing anything you want to do.
They're your little friends, always up for even the most mundane trips.
Everything is fun for them.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I don't know about the societal changes, I don't have much faith that those things will not get further out of control.
As for sea level?
I promise you, it'll be exactly where it is now, 20 to 30 years from now.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
My next car will be an electric pickup or suv. I have a mini I use while in NYC for street parking and my Golf is the winter/ long trip car.

Once they figure out how to get a range of 500+ miles a charge I will go electric on the truck.

The Golf R will become a track car and probably my last big turbo ICE project.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

Not sure how old you are but I am 56. In the 70’s the teaching was that an ice age was coming. How we would all be under ice. I remember the 77 winter. We had moved to Alabama and our sleds from Wisconsin came in handy after an ice storm. These are the same people who said paper bags were bad as they killed all the trees. Plastic bags are what we needed. So for 40 years we use plastic bags. Now plastic bags are bad and we need to use paper or cloth bags. We need to manage the world we live in, wisely use resources, take care of all living creatures. God put us in charge so we need to handle it right. But be alert to idiots who think they know all. In 40 years we all might be in ice. Or water, or ice, maybe water. Maybe a desert.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not sure how old you are but I am 56. In the 70’s the teaching was that an ice age was coming. How we would all be under ice. I remember the 77 winter. We had moved to Alabama and our sleds from Wisconsin came in handy after an ice storm. These are the same people who said paper bags were bad as they killed all the trees. Plastic bags are what we needed. So for 40 years we use plastic bags. Now plastic bags are bad and we need to use paper or cloth bags. We need to manage the world we live in, wisely use resources, take care of all living creatures. God put us in charge so we need to handle it right. But be alert to idiots who think they know all. In 40 years we all might be in ice. Or water, or ice, maybe water. Maybe a desert.

I'm 58, so I've got the same perspective as you Sandman.
I've been a big nature and science fan, so I've followed all of this since I was little.
I remember so many of these shows, stories etc.
Having lived through any number of catastrophic changes that didn't come, I'm quite comfortable in the belief that this one isn't coming either.