GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I don't think I love my DWS06+'s - reflections and questions - UPDATE:

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Background: 7.5R, stage 1 tune but stock parts including DCC suspension, 19inch Pretorias. Tons of comparos on here and elsewhere regarding the DWS/DWS+ vs PSAS3/4s, etc. Went with DWS06 plus (235/35R19), seemed like a great option for me on paper. I was looking for a comfortable DD/street tire in the 19inch size first off, and looking at all-seasons as wanted something that could handle a lot of rain, the occasional snow well and significant temp changes intraday. Something without a big penalty at 40F. I wasn't expecting amazing track tire performance but something that would perform fairly good.

After 600 miles, I find them little different to stock ContiSportContact 5p in some areas, better in others, worse in some.

As far as comfort is concerned, plenty of road nose, thought would be a bit better. Acceptable after first few hundred miles. Primary Front/back grip is quite good and is a high point, as good as I could expect from an all-season honestly, maybe a smidgen slimy in the higher end of my temp range (expected for AS vs summer compounds). Puddles and heavy rain - truly excellent, no problems there. No snow yet.

What I don't love is the dry lateral feel, particularly at low speeds and anywhere even approaching the limit (eg turning and accelerating onto a fastish off-camber freeway on-ramps, exiting corner flat to slight off-camber spirited driving). To describe it, feels like a it looses traction laterally quite easy followed by regrip, a stuttering feeling, mostly front but I think rears too under acceleration. Understeer almost seems worse than stock tires. No audible squeal signal either. No TC lights. Looking at the tires I think I am dealing with some sidewall deflection/sidewall rolling. Don't see any feathering but am watching closely. Quite possibly could be an "excessive tread height" feeling. Almost feels better letting the body roll more in comfort mode on DCC.

Anyway, I don't have a huge breath of experience with lots of tires on this car, but just wondering if anyone had similar experiences as most of the takes on the DWS06 are very positive. Thinking If I wanted to improve these dynamics I could spring for camber plates and possibly front tower brace? Not necessarily to compensate for the tire since that seems backwards, but just improve the vehicle dynamics in general.

EDIT/Update:
So I have put another ~1500 miles on DWS06+ in mostly 30-50 Deg mixed weather. I must say, I truly appreciate the advice given here about tire pressure. Thank you! Getting these bang on 39PSI all round made a HUGE difference as far as the dry turn-in is concerned. They were 35-36PSI from the shop (IIRC installed on a hot day?) I am truly amazed at how much difference 3 lbs made. I've not noticed any change with front-back grip lacking on launches etc, at least with a stage 1 tune. Turn-in is just fine now. I think they are now probably pretty excellent as an all-season tire. Ive gone from perhaps slightly disappointed to 9/10 impressed. After driving though a few serious storms too I can say If you are looking for a rain tire, this is *your* tire.

Just wanted to edit my comments incase anyone else reads this - these tires loveeee a few more pounds!

Last edited:

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
My set just arrived yesterday 😅 Chose these over the Michelin PSAS4 because I read the Contis we're a bit better in snow. I know they won't feel anything like the PS4S' I have on now. I plan on mounting them sometime next month and I'll have to make sure to look for the issues you're experiencing on my morning commutes.

My car came stock with the Potenza RE97as though so I'm sure these will still be a few steps above those at least.

haste

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'21 GTI SE, '15 FiST
I've had quite a bit of experience with the Conti DWS line, including the old generation before the 06. I feel the same way with turn in, lateral grip. The tires themselves have VERY weak sidewalls. You may want to try increasing your tire pressure a few psi and see if that helps.

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
My set just arrived yesterday 😅 Chose these over the Michelin PSAS4 because I read the Contis we're a bit better in snow. I know they won't feel anything like the PS4S' I have on now. I plan on mounting them sometime next month and I'll have to make sure to look for the issues you're experiencing on my morning commutes.

My car came stock with the Potenza RE97as though so I'm sure these will still be a few steps above those at least.
Tons of people like them, and you being a bit up the coast you might be in a better temp range too. Sorry to rain on your parade, but at least you will be well prepared for rain! ;) I might be a bit early in the break in. I'll add thoughts as I go.

edit: typo

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I've had quite a bit of experience with the Conti DWS line, including the old generation before the 06. I feel the same way with turn in, lateral grip. The tires themselves have VERY weak sidewalls. You may want to try increasing your tire pressure a few psi and see if that helps.
That's a great idea. Thanks. Kind of pissed I didn't think of that already TBH.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
There's a reason why people say "Just get the Michelin's", they're really really good.. Expensive, but in my experience I've never been upset with the money I spend on them as they are better than about anything else I've tried.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I'm always amazed people use all seasons on these cars. The best all season will still act like an all season and be boring with lack of feel. All that money for a modified performance car. Get real tires.
Yep.. While it isn't cheap.. I have a set of Neuspeed's with Michelin PS4S's, and a cheap set of Sparco's with some Sumitomo snow tires.

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I'm always amazed people use all seasons on these cars. The best all season will still act like an all season and be boring with lack of feel. All that money for a modified performance car. Get real tires.

Yep.. While it isn't cheap.. I have a set of Neuspeed's with Michelin PS4S's, and a cheap set of Sparco's with some Sumitomo snow tires.

Fair enough. Reading about these and PS-4AS and they sound like the second coming, to some... Honestly they are probably perfect for what I do 99% of the time, but hey, its easy to notice the 1%. But a dry grip rating of 9.2 on TR sounded good, but I guess its all relative.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Fair enough. Reading about these and PS-4AS and they sound like the second coming, to some... Honestly they are probably perfect for what I do 99% of the time, but hey, its easy to notice the 1%. But a dry grip rating of 9.2 on TR sounded good, but I guess its all relative.

For sure! Seems Michelin's all season's are going to be the best as far as holding up to performance driving... So long as you're going into it with eyes wide open about how they will be if you start to push them hard frequently.. This time of year I often get mornings down to 30 degrees (but dry) and I've driving with my PS4S's, and they have been completely fine. If you do get to the point that you've pushing the All Season's more often, make the investment for snows and summers, it's well worth it, and the snows will be better in the wet and snow anyways.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I had DWS06's on my ZHP coupe, and had a set on my first Golf R. My experiences generally mirror what others are saying - comfy ride due to soft sidewalls, decent grip, overall a decent all-season option. If I were pushing either car very much, my opinion probably would change - didn't seem like a great performance tire in my minimal experience in that regard.

I run PS4AS's now on my current R and I like them a lot. They seem to do everything well, plus give me that all-season capability I need now that I live at altitude and deal with some sleet and light snow a few times every winter.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Your point about turn-in is well documented. Everyone always says, you want a comfort-oriented UHP AS, go DWS06. You want performance-oriented, go AS3/3+/AS4.

I had AS4’s on my Alltrack and DWS06 on my gf’s TDI. I strongly prefer the DWS06, to the point I sold the wheels my AS4’s were on (along with the tires) and I’m going 17’s w/ 235/45 DWS06 on the Alltrack.

sounds like you should’ve gone PSAS4

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
DWS06+ are different from the DWS06, and are supposed to have a stiffer sidewall. There are other differences too, but they are not the same tire as the regular DWS06

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Your point about turn-in is well documented. Everyone always says, you want a comfort-oriented UHP AS, go DWS06. You want performance-oriented, go AS3/3+/AS4.

I had AS4’s on my Alltrack and DWS06 on my gf’s TDI. I strongly prefer the DWS06, to the point I sold the wheels my AS4’s were on (along with the tires) and I’m going 17’s w/ 235/45 DWS06 on the Alltrack.

sounds like you should’ve gone PSAS4

The DWS06+ seems to inspire much less confidence than the many DWS06s I've had prior. Increasing pressure on the DWS06+ def causes more harshness too. I do think the lateral grip is lacking in the DWS06+. I probably won't be buying another set.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The DWS06+ seems to inspire much less confidence than the many DWS06s I've had prior. Increasing pressure on the DWS06+ def causes more harshness too. I do think the lateral grip is lacking in the DWS06+. I probably won't be buying another set.
Bummer. So instead of improving on the DWS06, they neutered them. Glad they still sell the DWS06 at my local dealer... think I might be them before they’re no longer an option. Even though I’m not putting em on till after winter