GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I got rocked by an m4

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lottery? Twin turbo R8, no question.
Used F-series M4s are relatively cheap now, you can get a setup like Jake's friend originally had for not much. Hybrid turbos, clutch packs, fuel system. Honestly surprised they're targeting 8s, RWD BMW usually can't launch well enough to really take advantage of that much power on a dig.

It cuts 1.6 60ft on 18s, so on the new set up maybe 1.5.

LC anti lag, boost by gear, it gets down very drama free for such a heavy and stock car.

I will agree you don’t see many BMW at the 1/4 mile, but this is a very well sorted car with a lot of passes under its belt.

Not apples to apples, but the same shop he deals with has Supras going deep in the 8s.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
CD9226F7-5511-461F-925F-12F515B36C62.jpeg

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Went to pick up dog food. On the way back in my rear view I see a slammed silver BMW. It's approaching fast. I drop gears. I'm in third at 5k rpm and waiting for him. He pulls up beside and we go. 7k, shift into fourth, full throttle and homie is already three cars ahead. I'm looking at my cluster to make sure I don't have an epc light or some shit, nope. Car is moving fast. Looking ahead BMW is now bus lengths away.... So that ends. I end up catching up once we let off. Give the dude a thumbs up, he does the same. I ask him how much power he is pushing, he says 800. Oh OK. That makes sense.
Bro, it's the dog food. That shit's heavy.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Stock M4s you can take down, heavily modded like this one and even some lightly modded ones with tunes can still be more than a handful. Not an L you should feel bad for taking.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
SCB, OP Lol. Wow i knew they were expensive, but not THAT expensive nor THAT fast!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah modded M4 are no joke. This is a buddy from works car, ran 9.6 last year with hybrid turbos on it around 750whp.

Switched to a big single and working on tuning it now, should be 1,000+ whp & the goal is to go high 8s.

View attachment 254973View attachment 254974

They look/ run great but the M4’s near me all sound like Honda’s. It’s extremely unfortunate.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
They look/ run great but the M4’s near me all sound like Honda’s. It’s extremely unfortunate.
Biased opinions incoming...

The early M4's do indeed sound awful. Also the power delivery is way too "spikey" and it's hard to get power to the ground without crazy wheelspin. Part of the sound issue is that the exhaust valve is open during cold starts (or any start for that matter, even if the engine is warm). The other issue is the non-equal-length stock exhaust system. The motor itself sounds fine, like virtually any other blown BMW I6.

Later M4's (like '17+) have a better stock tune that delivers the power more linearly. My M2 Comp with detuned S55 sounds COMPLETELY different (in a good way) than my buddy's '15 M4, and puts the power down better too (maybe having 20 less HP helps too? I dunno.) Does it sound great? No. Is it awful? IMHO no it's not bad. I need to code out the open exhaust valve at start-up and cure that part of the problem. I'm not going to throw big bucks at an equal-length exhaust system to further improve the sound. Not worth it to me. Besides every time I stand on the go-pedal I don't give a crap what the motor sounds like.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Biased opinions incoming...

The early M4's do indeed sound awful. Also the power delivery is way too "spikey" and it's hard to get power to the ground without crazy wheelspin. Part of the sound issue is that the exhaust valve is open during cold starts (or any start for that matter, even if the engine is warm). The other issue is the non-equal-length stock exhaust system. The motor itself sounds fine, like virtually any other blown BMW I6.

Later M4's (like '17+) have a better stock tune that delivers the power more linearly. My M2 Comp with detuned S55 sounds COMPLETELY different (in a good way) than my buddy's '15 M4, and puts the power down better too (maybe having 20 less HP helps too? I dunno.) Does it sound great? No. Is it awful? IMHO no it's not bad. I need to code out the open exhaust valve at start-up and cure that part of the problem. I'm not going to throw big bucks at an equal-length exhaust system to further improve the sound. Not worth it to me. Besides every time I stand on the go-pedal I don't give a crap what the motor sounds like.
and not a single picture or sound clip?? reported

Dadbus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 R DSG, 997.1 GT3
Nice! My first thought was why did you sell it (it's my 1st choice for my R replacement). Then I saw this....you basically went to the pinnacle from my perspective anyway...

View attachment 256559
Haha I can’t say it’s the pinnacle, but it’s honestly the best manual car I’ve ever driven. It’s loud, super mechanical and raw feeling, and most importantly, my kids love it.

The 7.1 GT3 was that unobtainable car I lusted after when I was a broke student. Turned 40 and said f it, let’s do it, it’s now or never. Could give 2 f’s if I bought at height of market. I’m just happy I get to experience GT3 ownership. The glorious sounds this car makes with a Sharkwerks bypass…..

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Haha I can’t say it’s the pinnacle, but it’s honestly the best manual car I’ve ever driven. It’s loud, super mechanical and raw feeling, and most importantly, my kids love it.

The 7.1 GT3 was that unobtainable car I lusted after when I was a broke student. Turned 40 and said f it, let’s do it, it’s now or never. Could give 2 f’s if I bought at height of market. I’m just happy I get to experience GT3 ownership. The glorious sounds this car makes with a Sharkwerks bypass…..
If not the pinnacle, it’s the targeted goal for many enthusiasts. The answer, for me, is always a 911. Well done, Sir.

I put $100 on a raffle for a ’16 GT3, and hope to pick it up in Sept unless I win the lotto first! Otherwise it’ll be a few more years unless I come into unexpected money.