GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need new tires but the choices are overwhelming. Suggestions?

TRexRoar

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn PP
I'm in desperate need of new tires and this is my first time buying them for this car (2015 GTI Autobahn with PP).

I don't know if I should be getting all season tires or just summer tires. I live in San Diego so it's warm all year around and we get very little rain, so maybe summer tires for the whole year would be fine? My car is a daily driver only and I'm most concerned about handling, noise and comfort. I'm hoping to spend less than $200 per tire so all in with mounting and alignment I'm under $1000. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
IF you go AS, Michelin PS4 hands down, but if warm all year long you might as well go high performance summers

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I would also suggest Michelin pilot sport 4 all season. But if you don't get any snow, only light rain where you live, I would suggest the high performance summer Michelin pilot sport 4 it's more money but I honestly feel it's worth it or get the Firestones Indy 500, it's been getting great reviews for it's price point. $150-200 depending on your size.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I was happy with my Indy 500s when I lived out there, plenty of grip in the canyons

No need to go all seasons unless you drive to big bear or something regularly

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I don't know if I should be getting all season tires or just summer tires. I live in San Diego so it's warm all year around and we get very little rain, so maybe summer tires for the whole year would be fine? My car is a daily driver only and I'm most concerned about handling, noise and comfort. I'm hoping to spend less than $200 per tire so all in with mounting and alignment I'm under $1000. Any suggestions?
I can't see any reason at all why you would need an all season tire in San Diego. I'm in Charlotte NC and with the exception of about 3 days a year an ultra high performance summer tire is perfect.

If the criteria you listed are in order of importance an excellent choice is the Michelin PS4S. Extremely high performance, very low noise and very good ride quality for type of tire.

If you belong to Costco there is $150 instant savings running on four tires. $840 with install plus tax. With alignment you should be right in your budget.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Falken FK510. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would be waste of money for your use unless you really want the Michelin name.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Unless you plan on driving to the snow, or places it gets below 40 at night, I'd run summers all year in SoCal.

I run general GMax RS summers in Long Beach year round. 360tw I believe. Great price and normally a rebate is going on for them through tirerack.com.

Local shops still seem to stock AS over summers though here which is strange, if you really need an AS, I'd say general GMax AS is a good tire for the price, but PS4s get a lot of great reviews.

Whatever you get, make sure you pick up road hazard, tends to pay for itself out here in my experience.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Not sure how necessary all season’s are in San Diego, but if you’re looking for one that’s great on a daily driver, Continental DWS06 Plus’ are a great option. However, as many have said, Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s are fantastic and are seem to do better in the dry than the Conti’s.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I loved my OE Bridgestone S-001 Max Performance Summers.
Replaced them with Falken FK-510s, which I hated- great to stop in a straight line in the wet when new, otherwise, definitely not a max performance summer.
Just put on Pilot Sport 4 S- love them.

Don't mess around with all seasons. Get a proper performing summer tire. Every mod that you do to your GTI is impacted by grip.
I never understood guys rocking suspensions, big brakes, bigger turbos and all seasons.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Michelin Pilot 4S. Why? Because they win most comparison tests and excel at all the things the OP is "most concerned about". Only downside is they are pricey.

Yeah, no one in San Diego needs all season tires - unless one plans to drive to snow country.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Tires are always the issue, between marketing, driving style, price, and almost useless (in many cases) UT ratings. The fact that my GTI has only about 8,500 miles on the Pirelli P& OEM tires and this is the second time shopping tells you what I think about them. I recently took off my new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90 snow tires, and was reminded inside of a half mile just how friggin noises they are. They are an obnoxious tire at all speeds. Frankly, I wish they wore much sooner. I do not want to be in the tire buying business.

I don't drive crazy, but sometimes a little agressive. The P7s were fine for cornering, a little on the rough side for ride, but the noise is the killer. I've heard the Michelin P4S are a little weird in the wet, and very pricey. Note sure how their lower UT rating holds up in the real world as far as longevity. I've heard many good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, but none from this low profile size or GTI owners. On a normal sedan, I'd likely get the General and call it a day.

Looking at the extreme performance summers, a category I've never bought before, it gets subjective. Everyone loves the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Not too much difference in ratings from the Pirelli P Zeros.

My wish list in order of priority:

As low noise as possible
Handle the same or better
Good wet braking and hydroplane resistance
Decent longevity

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
SteveRedGTI, if low noise is your primary concern, then performance oriented offerings may not scratch where you are itching. Maybe a good touring tire?

As I am sure you know, tire selection is a balancing act based on one's own personal preferences and vehicle usage. Low noise tires may have good longevity but may lack grip. Sticky tires usually do well in both wet and dry, but wear out fast. Touring tires should last long, but will scream in protest on a canyon road.

P.S. From my view, Michelin PS4S tires are basically a high performance tire that you can take to a HPDE track event in a pinch. They are "loud", sticky, amazing in wet or dry, and wear out after ~30k miles. This or any other max performance class tire is probably not the tire for someone with your priorities. Good luck in your search.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
How long have you owned the car and how many miles have you put on it? It sounds like you don’t put a ton of miles on it. I would say summers considering where you live. But summers don’t last as long as UHP AS and if you’re coming from OEM tires, UHP AS are going to feel like summer tires by comparison.

really, it’s a matter of whether you prefer longevity over all-out performance. If there’s an element of wanting to get 3+ years out of them, you are likely better off with UHP AS.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
On my second set of MSAS4's... wouldn't do anything else. Honestly, for your weather, you could look at summer rubber but about the only thing that would be a plus for the AS's is wear rating is higher and when (if?) it rains, you'll be better off.