GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I Think the GTI/R Days are Numbered

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It will take at least a few years, but upon reading that VW is transitioning to crossovers and SUV's it stands to reason they will go away.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe in the US they'll go away. But they are still very well selling in the rest of the world. When I was in Germany a few years ago there were golfs and gti's everywhere. It seemed like 75% of the cars on the road were golfs. Even Canada is getting the mk8 golfs that aren't confirmed yet for the US market.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Even the EU is adopting the SUV thing much more so than even a few years ago. I worked in Frankfurt in the 00's and loved noticing just how rare any SUV was. Now they're all over the place. The Cute Utes have changed the game, with a similar foot print to our car, but the higher driving position.
I do think that the R may very well go hybrid for the Mk8 and not offer a manual. In some ways, that could be cool, more fixed rear power than Haldex, better low end torque and a further differential from the GTI. However I suspect the Mk8 will be the last manual GTI too.
I would strongly consider the new Bus if they make it GTI quick with a 250+ mile range. I won't drive an automatic, but I will drive a single speed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I saw since that VW wants to go total electric. I might buy an electric car if they have enough local charging stations, but you all know how it is, no shopping center or doctor's office or any other commercial endeavor will put them in until there are a LOT of electrics, and that probably won't happen in my lifetime. They built a new mall in my county, and I saw only two parking spots with chargers.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I assume you're not able to charge at home? For me that's one huge benefit of an EV. My wife hates to fill her car up and I usually do it. This saves a trip out to a gas station and just requires plugging the car in overnight.

Local charging would really never be used and even interstate charging would probably be skipped and we'd just use our ICE car for road trips.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can charge at home. I'm hoping the battery I saw that can fully recharge in 20 minutes or less comes to fruition. I figure you'll a really big charger to do that though. They can be thousands to install, and if you don't have a modern home, and even if you do, you might need to decide if you want to charge your car or run your air conditioning. If you live in California you might not be able to do either in the summer since they can't keep up with the demand now.

I just saw where there is a company trying to perfect a radiactive panel that uses the heat from the surface of the ground to make electricity, albeit at 25% of what a solar cell panel can produce.