GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In search of perfect coilovers - Eibach Multi-Pro R1's

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I've been doing suspension mods on all VW's for many years. Mostly for street tuning, have done autocross now and then, but since move to south a few years back running HPDE's at local tracks suddenly became a lot more accessible. Living in New England is great, but track availability kinda sucks. So the track bug is now a full infection, I've been running HPDE's with my 08 GTI since I got it (its well broken in!), and do a DE about once a month.

I'm anal retentive with suspension - I don't like harsh ride, and poorly tuned and lowered cars aren't where I'm at. Have ridden in a fair number of slammed Mk5's, the cars nice factory tuning is thrown out the window.

In past cars I've run Bilsteins, Koni, KW, Eibach, Neuspeed, H&R etc. Most of it pretty good stuff, and I am familiar with their offerings through many installations on past customer cars.

But at the track, a different set of requirements starts to kick in. Better control at high speed, more at expense of street ride. Is there the perfect suspension that can do both?

At the track on my Mk5 I started out with a ST coilover suspension - essentially a KW V1 from what they claim. This is a nice setup, great bang for buck. The fixed damping setting is spot on for the supplied springs. Ride isn't harsh, and quite good overall. For some reason I got it in my head that I had to have adjustable damping, so removed them and sold. Somewhat of a mistake. I've installed and sold many KW V2 kits on Audi's in past, you can't go wrong with KW.

Next got a Spax RSX kit out of curiosity and ease of damper settings. Easy to adjust dampers, street ride not bad. But again came with progressive springs, not really a track setup. Good street kit, but I felt it wasn't any better than stock overall at the track. Removed, sold.

Been running stock for last 4 DE's again, with just Autotech rear sway bar, S3 front bushings, Wavetrac LSD and R comp tires. The car flies with this setup, and is completely street friendly since its essentially stock susp again. I could just press the Stop button here and keep hitting the track. But no. I still wanted to find something that would allow a little better control and better use of the R comps.

Looked at AST 4100, and Cross, great setups by the reviews, but $2700? That would pay for too many hotels and HPDE's on otherwise good stock setup.

I was spelunking though the Eibach website one day for some reason, and saw in their street coilover menu listings for Multi-pro R1 and R2. Read up, looks like nice setups. Looked at the application guide, nothing for Mk5. Then out of curiosity one day I was looking down through what Tirerack offered for Mk5, and they listed the Eibach R1 and R2 setups. R1 was on sale, R2 overkill for my needs. Hmmm. I called Eibach USA and talked to their tech guy on phone, had him fully describe what these were and how they were developed. The Multi-Pro's really aren't marketed so I didn't know anything about them. Turns out they are hand built and tuned by Eibach here in States, are based on monotube gas shocks and linear springs. Ease of damper adjustment too - rears are adjusted at bottom, so no removing shocks. This sounded like the correct setup to actually get better handling, and at $1600 through Tirerack a much better deal than AST or Cross, and these are made in USA, which I value.

The R1 coilovers are shipped with Eibach linear race springs with 275's in front, and 300's in rear. These sound a little soft compared to other setups, but I think this will keep ride civil and not have the initial lean in that I hate with progressive springs. Those rates should dial out understeer as well. I am under no illusions that this setup won't still be a bit rough with slight road imperfections, Eibach claims they ride great on street, we shall see.

They just arrived, when I took them out of the box, the quality of the parts is unbelievable, the packaging was first rate, and quality of parts - you have to hold them in your hand to appreciate hand built coilovers. I'm sure the AST's and Cross are similar.

Some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bostonaudi/EibachMultiProR1?feat=directlink

Eibach link:
http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/cms/products_products_coil___over_suspension_systems_multi_pro_r1

I'll be installing them sometime soon, within next couple of weeks, and running them at Road Atlanta weekend of April 24-25, will post feedback on street civility and track handling.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Wow thats a very interesting find. Linear springs and damping adjustments on the lower portion for the rear is very nice. Is it rebound damping? Or a combination of compression and rebound damping?

Also make sure you post some pictures of these things once you install them on your car. Obviously you will be running a non-slammed stance considering you value proper suspension geometry, so I'm curious to see how high these coilovers go.

Thats also interesting with the spring rates. For front wheel drive configurations, I figured it was typical to have a higher spring rate in the front, or at the most matched front and rear. Seems like you are running more spring rate in the rear. I could see how higher spring rates in the rear would help with the obvious understeer characteristics of front wheel drive. Just interesting to see higher spring rates in the rear.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Wow thats a very interesting find. Linear springs and damping adjustments on the lower portion for the rear is very nice. Is it rebound damping? Or a combination of compression and rebound damping?

Also make sure you post some pictures of these things once you install them on your car. Obviously you will be running a non-slammed stance considering you value proper suspension geometry, so I'm curious to see how high these coilovers go.

Thats also interesting with the spring rates. For front wheel drive configurations, I figured it was typical to have a higher spring rate in the front, or at the most matched front and rear. Seems like you are running more spring rate in the rear. I could see how higher spring rates in the rear would help with the obvious understeer characteristics of front wheel drive. Just interesting to see higher spring rates in the rear.

Yeah, rates for other coilovers like AST come with 350/250 or 450/350 f/r, which is opposite. Eibach said they did a lot of track and street testing with their Mk5 and found this to be best. I won't second guess until I have them on and test. A nice thing about going with these Eibach's is they have plenty of other spring choices available. For a track setup its helpful to have this support, otherwise you're stuck with what you bought. I also plan on taking full advantage of coilovers this time and having car corner balanced once its all settled.

Damping on R1's is combination of compression and rebound, which I have some reservations about, but will have to see. Its possible I could end up in situation where neither is ideal, but Eibach said these monotubes work great as delivered. If they got the ratio right it shouldn't be an issue. The high end R2's have separate adjustments.

The spec for lowering says they start just under stock. My plan is to initially set them about 1/2" lower (13.5" fender to wheel center on rear and 14" front). I measure 14" r and 14.5" f now stock.

I am a bit surprised Eibach doesn't make these two kits more well known, I don't know how long they've been out on the market. I only found them by accident.

MJM Autohaus

GolfMkV Sponsor
Hit us up if you're still "ISO" of Eibach products.

As a Warehouse Distributor for Eibach, we can get you taken care of with any of their coilovers.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Watching this thread. I'm looking forward to your results. I autox primarily for now, but I want to eventually get involved in tracking my GTI.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
Boston, are you still on a stock rear sway bar? If so then having then rear rates higher would be a good idea. My setup only has the handling traits it does because of the bar helping to increase the roll resistance and not just the spring rates.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Hit us up if you're still "ISO" of Eibach products.

As a Warehouse Distributor for Eibach, we can get you taken care of with any of their coilovers.

cool, thx. What do you guys know about the multi-pro coilovers? Any experience with them yet?

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Boston, are you still on a stock rear sway bar? If so then having then rear rates higher would be a good idea. My setup only has the handling traits it does because of the bar helping to increase the roll resistance and not just the spring rates.

I am using an Autotech rear bar, set on middle setting. I expect I might be able to take it off and put stock back on. Or I'll have to leave rear shock settings fairly mild.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Yeah, rates for other coilovers like AST come with 350/250 or 450/350 f/r, which is opposite. Eibach said they did a lot of track and street testing with their Mk5 and found this to be best. I won't second guess until I have them on and test. A nice thing about going with these Eibach's is they have plenty of other spring choices available. For a track setup its helpful to have this support, otherwise you're stuck with what you bought. I also plan on taking full advantage of coilovers this time and having car corner balanced once its all settled.

Damping on R1's is combination of compression and rebound, which I have some reservations about, but will have to see. Its possible I could end up in situation where neither is ideal, but Eibach said these monotubes work great as delivered. If they got the ratio right it shouldn't be an issue. The high end R2's have separate adjustments.

The spec for lowering says they start just under stock. My plan is to initially set them about 1/2" lower (13.5" fender to wheel center on rear and 14" front). I measure 14" r and 14.5" f now stock.

I am a bit surprised Eibach doesn't make these two kits more well known, I don't know how long they've been out on the market. I only found them by accident.

Gotchya. Yea i'm not a fan of non-independent compression and rebound damping. I would perfer to tune the stiffness of my car using spring rates and compression damping, and then tune oversteer using independent rebound damping.

Despite that, for $1600 these coils are a real steal. Especially considering they offer your choice of linear spring rates.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Got the coilovers installed over the weekend. Installation was straightforward. The kit is great, the rears use both upper and lower factory rubber pads so no rattling or weird noises from rear. The other kits I've installed seem to ditch one of them. My initial guess at ride height was a bit off, so rear is a bit dumped compared to fronts. Stock I was at 14.5" fr, 14" rear, now I'm 14" front, 12.5" rear (middle of wheel to fender), oops. I blew my back out over the weekend so will have to wait to adjust.

Took short drive yesterday, this is the smoothest setup I have ever driven, no bumpiness or jarring reaction to bumps, just smooth grip. This was surprising given I went from factory springs to short linear springs with much higher rate than stock. I have a feeling the gas monotube shocks are the big factor (heard similar feedback with the AST kit). Once I get the ride height settled and corner balance done, going to play with the shock valving a bit. I'm on full soft front and rear right now and ride is incredibly civil, and I think less bouncy than stock even.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Got the coilovers installed over the weekend. Installation was straightforward. The kit is great, the rears use both upper and lower factory rubber pads so no rattling or weird noises from rear. The other kits I've installed seem to ditch one of them. My initial guess at ride height was a bit off, so rear is a bit dumped compared to fronts. Stock I was at 14.5" fr, 14" rear, now I'm 14" front, 12.5" rear (middle of wheel to fender), oops. I blew my back out over the weekend so will have to wait to adjust.

Took short drive yesterday, this is the smoothest setup I have ever driven, no bumpiness or jarring reaction to bumps, just smooth grip. This was surprising given I went from factory springs to short linear springs with much higher rate than stock. I have a feeling the gas monotube shocks are the big factor (heard similar feedback with the AST kit). Once I get the ride height settled and corner balance done, going to play with the shock valving a bit. I'm on full soft front and rear right now and ride is incredibly civil, and I think less bouncy than stock even.

Nice :thumbsup: Make sure to post up some pics when you get the chance. Of the car I mean, not just the coils.

JamDawg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI 4 DOOR
SUB, Thanks for this write up. I have been looking at them for a while and no feed back could be found.

Zach L

VR junkie
sub'd