GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had an update from my dealer this morning they are having problems trying to update car from yesterday ongoing today they will update me this afternoon 🤦

glasrt500

I’m getting fed up waiting on the update to be installed on my car. It has had various software issues but because the dealer cannot replicate them when they have had my car in, they refuse to install the 1896 update and just keep telling me to install OTA updates when my car notifies me. It is my understanding that as my car has the 1668 software, it won’t update to 1896 OTA and will need a further visit to the dealer for them to install the update. Another trip to the dealer at some point for me 🙄

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m getting fed up waiting on the update to be installed on my car. It has had various software issues but because the dealer cannot replicate them when they have had my car in, they refuse to install the 1896 update and just keep telling me to install OTA updates when my car notifies me. It is my understanding that as my car has the 1668 software, it won’t update to 1896 OTA and will need a further visit to the dealer for them to install the update. Another trip to the dealer at some point for me 🙄
I booked my car in for the software update from 1664 to 1896 no questions asked I didn't have to list any faults (although there are plenty).

glasrt500

I booked my car in for the software update from 1664 to 1896 no questions asked I didn't have to list any faults (although there are plenty).
I have had my car at two different dealers and in both cases, they refuse to install the update if they cannot replicate the issues I’ve been having (front assist unavailable and high beam assist unavailable), unfortunately the bugs are very intermittent. I suspect its more about the time saving for them rather than not being able to install the updates until they are told to by VW

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had my car at two different dealers and in both cases, they refuse to install the update if they cannot replicate the issues I’ve been having (front assist unavailable and high beam assist unavailable), unfortunately the bugs are very intermittent. I suspect its more about the time saving for them rather than not being able to install the updates until they are told to by VW
It may be a blessing at the moment as the update process seems to be about as reliable as the cars as I've just been informed there is a fault lodged between my car and the update process and they await further instruction from VW. They hope to have a solution tomorrow but aren't confident, to their credit I was warned they were having big problems trying to perform this update with other cars and was asked if I was sure I wanted to go ahead.
It seems that VW's process for fixing multiple faults in the car is itself riddled with multiple faults. 🤦

JohnF

Having had 3 dealer visits for SW visit each one has run into 2nd day. Different question now please visiting France soon, attempted to input town street nameand number comes back and says Navigate straight to town. For me the journey to the town is usually straightforward it’s the last two miles is the issue. Anyone else experienced this

Doctor71

I theory all the Golf 8 with 1896 software have the maps on behind the wheel, try it and told me! Haha I have the next 24/5 date in the workshop for do the upgrade from 1666 to 1896, im expectating
Def don’t have the maps behind the steering wheel - checked everything.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Def don’t have the maps behind the steering wheel - checked everything.

Have the map on the infotainment screen. On the bottom left of it is small circle with several parallel lines within it. Tap it. A window will appear. At the bottom you can turn on ‘add map to cluster’ (or similar wording). Scroll through the various dash displays tapping the ‘View’ button on the steering wheel until the map appears.

You can’t have the map on both screens but you can have the map on the dash and something else on the infotainment screen.

cycler

This shows the activation of map display on the cluster

You map in the infotainment section looks so much better than what we have here in the US. Even our google map when connecting to the Android doesnt look as good. Here is what our crap looks like whether its behind the steering wheel or the infotainment system

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 218

Doctor71

Have the map on the infotainment screen. On the bottom left of it is small circle with several parallel lines within it. Tap it. A window will appear. At the bottom you can turn on ‘add map to cluster’ (or similar wording). Scroll through the various dash displays tapping the ‘View’ button on the steering wheel until the map appears.

You can’t have the map on both screens but you can have the map on the dash and something else on the infotainment screen.
OMG it works, thankyou so much.
Re my other faults, a change in arm rest hasn’t fixed my rattle and the DSG is still sluggish when pulling away - delay of a few seconds before my car pulls away even though the revs go - it’s extremely dangerous.

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
Re my other faults, a change in arm rest hasn’t fixed my rattle and the DSG is still sluggish when pulling away - delay of a few seconds before my car pulls away even though the revs go - it’s extremely dangerous.
Yass!! It works in booth screens at time? Or only in one?

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Is your rattle definitely the arm rest as I have a buzzing noise that gets worse with warm temperatures and rough roads and the cause of it is the pop out cup holder if I retract it and pinch it against the centre console outer while holding the retracted cup holder it stops (a job for the dealers to fix for another day). Also my arm rest creaked so I pulled off the under cover plastic underneath the arm rest and applied lots more white lithium grease which has stopped it creaking. As for the software update mine is currently on day 3 at the dealers as they to have ran into problems trying to update from 1664 to 1896 currently waiting on a solution from VW....

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the TPI mentions that the hardware part number of the Gateway control unit has to be 5WA907530C. If the part number ends with a different letter then the software update can't be applied. The good news is they are working on a solution for these control units.
Dear Massimo...I visited the Local dealership in my hometown...(Greece) and they said that the 1896 is not applicable....again...the latest service campaign (91CU), fixes some minor stuff...it doesn t advances my software from 1668 to 1896....This f#$#ing control unit has doomed my car to remain obsolete....Any news or progress on the matter would be greatly appreciated....you already are highly respected in this forum!!! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• viber_image_2022-05-19_12-01-23-406.jpg
    viber_image_2022-05-19_12-01-23-406.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 216
  • viber_image_2022-05-19_12-01-43-072.jpg
    viber_image_2022-05-19_12-01-43-072.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 210

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Well the update process hasn't gone smoothly I'm on day 3 and awaiting a hire car from VW UK as my car is now off the road again. This week be the 3rd time in 12 months of ownership my Golf is stuck at the dealers for an extended period of time, last summer totalled 9 weeks at the dealers let's see how long this visit lasts.......
"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen" 😂