GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Eric of Ayr

First ever post. I'm UK based and took my Golf 8 2020 Style in to investigate an airbag warning light recently. While it was there the dealers decided to do a 91CU software update. It failed to update and has been in the garage ever since, coming up to 2 weeks. They told me that they'd tried to update 6 cars of which 2 including mine broke. Apparently the issue was escalated to ODIS(?) and then escalated further to the factory. I've been told there may not be any movements "for weeks". If you have a golf 8 that has been recommended for a 91CU update I'd recommend holding off until VW actually appear to test their software properly otherwise it's likely you'll be playing vehicular russian roulette.
you are not alone my car is also now in dealers second major update it has had the last one was about 12 months ago which solved some problems spurious travel assist warnings it took almost a week to do
i have been told that it will be in until next Tuesday that’s another 7 days

Eric of Ayr

I'm approaching my three week anniversary of my local dealers trying and failing to do software update 91CU. They told me it had been reported to the factory nearly two weeks ago but since then they've heard nothing. I've noticed lots of people mentioning similar experiences and wonder if anyone has tried to work out what if anything the problem cars all have in common. My car is a 2020 1.5 TSi 150bhp style and it has previously needed to have it's steering wheel replaced once. Has anyone else who can't get their 91CU software installed got very different specs to this?
Sounds exactly like my car stuck in Vw service dept at least until Tuesday (6 days)

Eric of Ayr

91CU
has anyone got a list of changes this update applies mine was on 1668(I think) and has been in garage all this week
has anyone got more info?

Eric of Ayr

I'm approaching my three week anniversary of my local dealers trying and failing to do software update 91CU. They told me it had been reported to the factory nearly two weeks ago but since then they've heard nothing. I've noticed lots of people mentioning similar experiences and wonder if anyone has tried to work out what if anything the problem cars all have in common. My car is a 2020 1.5 TSi 150bhp style and it has previously needed to have it's steering wheel replaced once. Has anyone else who can't get their 91CU software installed got very different specs to this?
Yes I have the same spec car built in 2020 and my car is in service dept

Petercoll

Just had my UK Golf software updated. My issues were ACC slowing me down as it thought I was undertaking (when I was actually overtaking), incorrect speed display (110, 90 etc) and lights reverting to driving on the right.
I booked it in myself, and referenced TPI 2063230/3 and the fact that this included software version 1890.
They seem to have applied 1890 ok.
Tomorrow I find out if it has worked !
The dealer was Inchcape at Telford.

Pete
Just an update to this. The software changes worked, but I have noticed a couple of things in the subsequent months:

I occasionally get the false undertaking issue - perhaps once a month i.e. every 1,000 miles.
I still get the false "you are about to hit the car in front" alerts on the dash, but these seem more frequent - always explainable though from what is happening in front of me.
I do get occasional instances where the car slows down and applies the brakes, but there is no obvious reason for this, and there is no dash display message. This always happens in urban environments when other parked cars are around. I would expect some sort of dashboard explanation.

Pete

Massimo 2323

Go Kart Champion
My Golf 8 was in the workshop for the 91CU service campaign. Took 2 days to update the various control units.
The campaign 27J5 was also carried out where the battery monitoring module/cable attached to the 12V battery was replaced with an updated version 5WA915181F.
The software difference between the 166x-1896 update process (TPI:2066316/x) and the 91CU is the Gateway receives newer software and the air conditioning control unit gets updated too.
Here is a table with the updates of all the control units:
CU 91CU.jpg

Reactions: MJ9

s3bax

I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.

Reactions: tos

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.
I've had a similar problem with braking since the software update.

Matt Beard

Just a further update now 5 weeks on and still no car. Starting to wonder if the car will come back fully fixed. Has anyone else experienced similar as I am concerned what state the car is going to come back in?

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
My car took well over two months to fix after a multiple collapse when they tried to upgrade the software to 1890 from 1803. The problem was passed to Germany after a week. They attempted a fix after a month, that failed, and finally another fix a month later which worked. It sat with the technical team for long periods wating in a queue of failed software problems across the world which are more than they can handle. However, they did fix it eventually, after engaging the executive complaints department at VW UK. I would have to think long and hard before I bought another VW, after having been a long time buyer and owner of the brand. I now live in constant fear of another software upgrade at the next service and the problems that might bring

mageor

20220628_180253.jpg

Hey guys.... I m gonna cry.... Everyone is getting upgraded, except of me.... Massimo any news on my car setup? We had an older conversation on my car... I stuck on 1668...

s3bax

Lane assist, front assist, traffic signal recognition, ACC and auto start stop just straight died during driving today. Scared the shit out of me when the notificactions started to pop up. Restarting the car seems to have solved it but jeez...

Last edited: