GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had my UK Golf software updated. My issues were ACC slowing me down as it thought I was undertaking (when I was actually overtaking), incorrect speed display (110, 90 etc) and lights reverting to driving on the right.
I booked it in myself, and referenced TPI 2063230/3 and the fact that this included software version 1890.
They seem to have applied 1890 ok.
Tomorrow I find out if it has worked !
The dealer was Inchcape at Telford.

Pete
Just an update to this. The software changes worked, but I have noticed a couple of things in the subsequent months:

I occasionally get the false undertaking issue - perhaps once a month i.e. every 1,000 miles.
I still get the false "you are about to hit the car in front" alerts on the dash, but these seem more frequent - always explainable though from what is happening in front of me.
I do get occasional instances where the car slows down and applies the brakes, but there is no obvious reason for this, and there is no dash display message. This always happens in urban environments when other parked cars are around. I would expect some sort of dashboard explanation.

Pete

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
My Golf 8 was in the workshop for the 91CU service campaign. Took 2 days to update the various control units.
The campaign 27J5 was also carried out where the battery monitoring module/cable attached to the 12V battery was replaced with an updated version 5WA915181F.
The software difference between the 166x-1896 update process (TPI:2066316/x) and the 91CU is the Gateway receives newer software and the air conditioning control unit gets updated too.
Here is a table with the updates of all the control units:
CU 91CU.jpg

Reactions: MJ9

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.

Reactions: tos

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.
I've had a similar problem with braking since the software update.

Matt Beard

Just a further update now 5 weeks on and still no car. Starting to wonder if the car will come back fully fixed. Has anyone else experienced similar as I am concerned what state the car is going to come back in?

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
My car took well over two months to fix after a multiple collapse when they tried to upgrade the software to 1890 from 1803. The problem was passed to Germany after a week. They attempted a fix after a month, that failed, and finally another fix a month later which worked. It sat with the technical team for long periods wating in a queue of failed software problems across the world which are more than they can handle. However, they did fix it eventually, after engaging the executive complaints department at VW UK. I would have to think long and hard before I bought another VW, after having been a long time buyer and owner of the brand. I now live in constant fear of another software upgrade at the next service and the problems that might bring

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
20220628_180253.jpg

Hey guys.... I m gonna cry.... Everyone is getting upgraded, except of me.... Massimo any news on my car setup? We had an older conversation on my car... I stuck on 1668...

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Lane assist, front assist, traffic signal recognition, ACC and auto start stop just straight died during driving today. Scared the shit out of me when the notificactions started to pop up. Restarting the car seems to have solved it but jeez...

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Currently my GTE is working fine since the installation of 1896 and the fitting of new steering wheel (apart from a new rattle coming from the rear right door area). This morning my VW dealer phoned me to say there are a couple of recalls (sic). 91CU and something to do with the 12v battery.

The list of software updates (as gratefully supplied by Massimo) is extremely long. My fear is that my car will be end up with issues that it currently doesn’t have.

“If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” 🤔?

Last edited:

Wellthathurt

Got my car back after two weeks today. It went in for first service and software update. They replaced the brake control unit after the update kept failing. The car drives allot smoother and everything seems to work better. Fingers crossed though.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Regarding the brake issues. I noticed that the issue appears when the car downshifts. So I did a little testing. I drove the car manually using the gear levels. I did a slow long (almost) stop from 6th gears to 2nd gear. From 6th to 4th gears there were no issues, but once I downshifted to 3rd gear it was like when I started how to drive and released the clutch to soon. Same thing from 3rd to 2nd gear.

If anyone else could try that to to see if it's similar would be nice.