GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Call VW for an appointment to get the 91CU done at the workshop😉
Thank you for the response... I have already visited my local workshop and after examining my 3/2020 Golf Style 1.5 150hp with mechanical gearbox, the told me that there is incompatibility with a control unit version under the steer wheel B instead of C....

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the TPI mentions that the hardware part number of the Gateway control unit has to be 5WA907530C. If the part number ends with a different letter then the software update can't be applied. The good news is they are working on a solution for these control units.
2 months back, that was the situation as described by Massimo... Am I so unlucky? Anyway, thank you all for your answers... Have a nice weekend

Niceguy235

Hi guys,

Newbie here!

I don't actually own a Golf8, however i do own a Caddy 5 which is now based on the current Golf, and i have the same infotainment unit.

My Numbers are:

5H0 035 820H
Hardware H58
Software 1890

I can confirm that i can have dual sat nav in infotainment and digital cockpit at the same time.

However my issues are:
Climate keeps resetting itself to 22, even though i always have it set at 20. I have done this for many years in every car i have owned.
Mirrors do not always fold in when locking.
e-sim is failing to connect internet radio although works ok if i use hotspot on my phone.

I am taking it in today for this and other issues to be looked at and to see if they will update the software to 1896 as i haven't had any messages to say that it's available OTA. This could be down to the esim not working properly, although we-connect seems to connect to it ok!

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys,

Newbie here!

I don't actually own a Golf8, however i do own a Caddy 5 which is now based on the current Golf, and i have the same infotainment unit.

My Numbers are:

5H0 035 820H
Hardware H58
Software 1890

I can confirm that i can have dual sat nav in infotainment and digital cockpit at the same time.

However my issues are:
Climate keeps resetting itself to 22, even though i always have it set at 20. I have done this for many years in every car i have owned.
Mirrors do not always fold in when locking.
e-sim is failing to connect internet radio although works ok if i use hotspot on my phone.

I am taking it in today for this and other issues to be looked at and to see if they will update the software to 1896 as i haven't had any messages to say that it's available OTA. This could be down to the esim not working properly, although we-connect seems to connect to it ok!
Do you pay for the Cubic data plan? If not the internet radio won't work without it it'll only work when using your phones data connection.

tos

Go Kart Newbie
I thought that OTA updates need activated we connect service and privacy settings off

Niceguy235

Do you pay for the Cubic data plan? If not the internet radio won't work without it it'll only work when using your phones data connection.

Ah ok didn't realise that. I just assumed it was all part of the we-connect service. Interestingly it doesn't ever mention needing a sub when trying to use it.

I have just been scrolling through this thread and other infotainment related issues are

Reverse sensors do not beep, even though i have the volume slider.
Front sensors beep but are very very slow to react.

Last edited:

Matt Beard

My car took well over two months to fix after a multiple collapse when they tried to upgrade the software to 1890 from 1803. The problem was passed to Germany after a week. They attempted a fix after a month, that failed, and finally another fix a month later which worked. It sat with the technical team for long periods wating in a queue of failed software problems across the world which are more than they can handle. However, they did fix it eventually, after engaging the executive complaints department at VW UK. I would have to think long and hard before I bought another VW, after having been a long time buyer and owner of the brand. I now live in constant fear of another software upgrade at the next service and the problems that might bring
Interested to hear you ahd similar issues to mine. 7 weeks tommorow since i took it in . They have put a new control unit and aerial this week but still not resolved . Interested to hear you had escalated to the complaints department at VW UK. Were there details easy to find as I can't seem to find them on the Web?

Niceguy235

I have just had an apparent OTA software update on my infotainment unit and none of the version numbers have changed at all.

Switched off and back on and again and it came up with ‘changing your settings’ or something similar and that’s it.

I am guessing this update was more to do with the running of the vehicle rather than infotainment update?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Over the air (OTA) software updates are so minor that you would probably not notice them. All the serious updates have to be done in the workshop. We’re talking VW not Tesla 😢 .

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Over the air (OTA) software updates are so minor that you would probably not notice them. All the serious updates have to be done in the workshop. We’re talking VW not Tesla 😢 .
I think from 1896 onwards all software updates minor or major will be done over the air

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I think from 1896 onwards all software updates minor or major will be done over the air
Just wish they would provide more info as to what's being improved, I've had the driver settings now being changed a few times now but it never tells you what driver settings.