GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Niceguy235

Just to note i have had a few minor updates over the last couple of weeks with no evidence of anything being any different, although, i have the radio station on the main dash display on the left, and the station name seems to sit lower down below the logo, although that could be my imagination!

fantozzi.cz

I misunderstood the update process, in Golf 8 the update is not provided via Discover Care but via USB stick.
So I prepared a USB stick according to the manual and inserted it into the car. Downloaded update was 22.6. My last database was 21.2. After a week of driving a car with inserted USB stick navigation database is updated now - but to database 21.11 only! 👹 I am confused now 🤪

Attachments

• B1BDFE66-56BA-400B-804E-45468D2056F4.jpeg
    B1BDFE66-56BA-400B-804E-45468D2056F4.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
I misunderstood the update process, in Golf 8 the update is not provided via Discover Care but via USB stick.
So I prepared a USB stick according to the manual and inserted it to the car. Downloaded update was 22.6. My last database was 21.2. After a week of driving a car navigation database is updated now - but to database 21.11 only! 👹 I am confused now 🤪
I am very confused too, the only way my Nav database could have updated is via those software updates that VW released over the past few weeks. Haven't been with the dealer since the 1896 / IS software update in May last. I have never downloaded anything from or even visited that VW website and the only USB drive I have in the car is one containing MP3 files!
By the way had another of those software updates this evening, at least the fifth in as many weeks or less, all showing the same details..........
IMG_20220804_173125_298.jpg

Braxton

True or False? factoid from today's (27/07) Steve Wright In The Afternoon show (BBC R2) some car's software can contain up to 100 million lines of code! Maybe we're being a bit hard on VW :giggle:
I'm a software engineer. Code bases are so complex that it's difficult to keep how it works in your head.

However when they says it's a million lines they are counting third party code that you use in projects. I'm sure it's less than 100k lines and even then it's conditions, reading information , writing information. It's still complex and difficult to get right

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
I'm a software engineer. Code bases are so complex that it's difficult to keep how it works in your head.

However when they says it's a million lines they are counting third party code that you use in projects. I'm sure it's less than 100k lines and even then it's conditions, reading information , writing information. It's still complex and difficult to get right
I agree, but a company with VAG's background shouldn't have released vehicles like the Golf MK8 and even worse initially the ID.3 with badly flawed software / hardware on the unsuspecting public, dealers and importers - with a promise of an imminent software update to fix things.
Importers and dealers were then left to try and placate a lot of justifiably frustrated buyers for considerable long periods of time waiting for said quick fix software update. The quick fix in my case was sixteen months after taking possession of the vehicle.
Only after the final fix have I for one been able to enjoy the car, free of almost daily system errors, frustration and disappointment. Rant over!

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
I am very confused too, the only way my Nav database could have updated is via those software updates that VW released over the past few weeks. Haven't been with the dealer since the 1896 / IS software update in May last. I have never downloaded anything from or even visited that VW website and the only USB drive I have in the car is one containing MP3 files!
By the way had another of those software updates this evening, at least the fifth in as many weeks or less, all showing the same details..........
View attachment 257288
I had a map update OTA a few weeks ago (UK) I don’t have any data subscriptions or such like, the only way it can have connected to VW servers is via the in built SIM card.

Massimo 2323

Go Kart Champion
Until you have the weconnect plus the navigation database will get downloaded OTA. While the other system updates will always come OTA as only the Weconnect (Not Plus) is necessary.
To check the weconnect subscription go in Shop / WeConnect and you should see the subscription period.
Maps.png

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Until you have the weconnect plus the navigation database will get downloaded OTA. While the other system updates will always come OTA as only the Weconnect (Not Plus) is necessary.
To check the weconnect subscription go in Shop / WeConnect and you should see the subscription period.
View attachment 257396
Thanks Massimo 2323,

Do I take it that if all that's required are Navigation Map updates, a subscription to WeConnect Plus isn't needed?

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
It turns out that, without my knowledge, I do have an active WeConnect+ subscription, 🤷‍♂️View attachment 257454
I did a bit of digging in the app and I also have an active WeC+ subscription :eek:, apparently purchased in April 2021. As I have no knowledge or financial record of purchasing said subscription, have to assume that it may have been included in the original vehicle purchase price (January 2021) and was only activated presumably by me on the date shown on the attached snip from the app........................

Screenshot_20220806-213526.png:unsure::confused:

Massimo 2323

Go Kart Champion
With the Discovery Pro i got 3 year weconnect plus subscription.
Looking at the latest brochure in Ireland the Golf 8 comes with Discovery Media and 1 year weconnect plus subscription.
C16A6A6B-9853-4BB4-A149-B9691CF0FC80.jpeg

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Just checked the MK8 brochure from July 2020 (when I ordered the car) it does indeed list a We Connect 'Plus' 1 year contract for the first two models. The Style model which I choose included a 3 year subscription. Checking the current brochure only a 1 year sub is included with models supplied in Ireland.
I must have downloaded the app in April and activated it then (sub ends in April 2024) I must say though, I was more than distracted all that year with the software problems being experienced so didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the app or its features.
With all that sorted, does VW release the Nav map updates with the OTA's we have been receiving lately - there's no reference to them shown.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

I was told by VW Digital ( Germany ), when I had another query about We Connect , that the Nav Map updates are done automatically OTA without any notification to customers.

They now do up to 12 map updates per year OTA for We Connect Plus subscribers