GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Mine switch automatic maps to dark mode at night.... there is a switch, but I dont remember where it was ;)

veedoubleya

Same here, I always use dark theme. The VW maps are set to auto so switch between bright and dark. The rest of the system uses dark, as per my preferred selection.
I use dark as this keeps Goggle Maps in the preferred dark mode as well. For some reason Google Maps doesn't auto switch and is far too bright in the dark, so I use VW dark to keep Google Maps in dark all the time.

veedoubleya

serious? how can mine always stay on day mode. It doesn't switch between day and night for me
Open up the VW satnav and view the map. At the bottom of the map screen is a button with 3 horizontal lines. Press it, you will be presented with a screen with 3 options Auto, Day and Night. Choose Auto.
Your VW satnav will change from day to night automatically.
This is different from the rest of the screen, it's only the VW satnav.
The rest of the screen must be selected day or night manually, there isn't an auto option.
I have my system set to Dark (using the pull down menu, but I have the VW satnav set to automatic.

Reactions: tos

veedoubleya

When you press the 3 horizontal line button as well as the 3 options I've mentioned you will also get the option to show the map ahead of you in the screen that normally shows the Speedo dial and rev counter.

stefanox

Passed Driver's Ed
Open up the VW satnav and view the map. At the bottom of the map screen is a button with 3 horizontal lines. Press it, you will be presented with a screen with 3 options Auto, Day and Night. Choose Auto.
Your VW satnav will change from day to night automatically.
This is different from the rest of the screen, it's only the VW satnav.
The rest of the screen must be selected day or night manually, there isn't an auto option.
I have my system set to Dark (using the pull down menu, but I have the VW satnav set to automatic.
i meant my android car! the navigation of the car itself works well, only android auto does not switch from day and night mode

CH47AV8R

i meant my android car! the navigation of the car itself works well, only android auto does not switch from day and night mode
Go into Google Maps on the phone.
Click on your face top right
Settings
Theme
Light/Dark/Same as Device (you'd need to go into device settings to change the display mode on this)
Go to Navigation Settings
scroll down to "Map Display"
Color Sceme - Auto/Day/Night

Reactions: tos

veedoubleya

I can only go off what's been said. The posts have been about the VW satnav, no mention of Android auto until I give the answer for the VW satnav 🙄.
Android Auto doesn't change automatically, even though it should, I've tried every combination, including the one posted by CH47AV8R.
As I've said previously I set my VW to dark so that Android Auto is dark.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
I can only go off what's been said. The posts have been about the VW satnav, no mention of Android auto until I give the answer for the VW satnav 🙄.
Android Auto doesn't change automatically, even though it should, I've tried every combination, including the one posted by CH47AV8R.
That's because AA uses the cars system theme. If it's in dark mode AA will also be like that. Most cars use the light sensor to change between night/day mode, but for VW it's either dark or light.

veedoubleya

That's because AA uses the cars system theme. If it's in dark mode AA will also be like that. Most cars use the light sensor to change between night/day mode, but for VW it's either dark or light.
Yes. So Android Auto doesn't change automatically, even though AA says it should.

CH47AV8R

In the '22 NAR R with Android Auto/Google Maps, Google maps certainly change to dark mode at the local sunset time for me.

Phone - Settings/Display/Dark Mode Settings/Sunset to sunrise
Google Maps (in phone) - Theme/Same as device theme; Navigation Settings/Map Display/Color Scheme-Automatic
Android Auto (in phone) - General-Day/Night Mode for maps/Automatic

veedoubleya

In the '22 NAR R with Android Auto/Google Maps, Google maps certainly change to dark mode at the local sunset time for me.

Google Maps (in phone) - Theme/Same as device theme; Navigation Settings/Map Display/Color Scheme-Automatic
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
I keep my phone in day mode, so maybe that's my issue. I'll try phone in the mode you indicate.

veedoubleya

Just tried it as you suggested. All settings exactly as you described.
Doesn't work for me.
VW nav works fine and goes into dark mode automatically.
Android Auto only changes to Dark mode when overall VW settings are changed to dark. No auto change for Google Maps via Android Auto.
Had the car from new for 12 months tried repeatedly with many permutations - nothing works.
Will leave in VW dark mode and use Google Maps in dark mode 24/7 as I e had to do over the past year.