GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Yes that 9 digit is a part number , you can order these at VW or buy online.
Where the hardware doesn’t change internally it is possible to update the firmware as well as the software… this is also possible with other control units too..
i think we were all surprised by this kind of update.. maybe before the chip shortage it was just easier to swap the hardware rather then get the technician to update them.

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
Have version 1666 keep getting parking aid error every few days. Never use ACC seems more trouble than it’s worth. My new bug bear had to replace key battery in a car less than a year only and under 6k I don’t have keyless access. Previous Mk 7 had for 4 years and never changed the battery.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
But your previous Mk7 required the key to be inserted in the steering column, whereas the Mk8 is detected wirelessly if you have it in your pocket while sitting in the car.

Not saying that one’s better than the other, but that probably accounts for the difference in battery life.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Have version 1666 keep getting parking aid error every few days. Never use ACC seems more trouble than it’s worth. My new bug bear had to replace key battery in a car less than a year only and under 6k I don’t have keyless access. Previous Mk 7 had for 4 years and never changed the battery.
Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems in readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.

Last edited:

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems I readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.
thanks for this the key is kept in the kitchen at the back of the house, will check if it is flashing or not. Watched a YouTube video of VAG Italy about changing the battery and they said when using Keyless it’s lasts about 6 months.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems in readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.

Not a mk8 Golf, but my Polo GTI+ has keyless entry / keyless start. I’m not able to disable keyless permanently via the car ‘Settings’ menu on my car (I would if I could) but I am able to temporarily disable it each time I lock the car, and that’s what I do so the key fob doesn’t communicate with the car. I’ve owned the car 16 months from new and the key fob batteries are holding up OK. I keep a spare fob battery in the car and carry another in my wallet as they’re known to fail without warning - if that does happen then hopefully I’m prepared! None of the previous four VW’s I owned had keyless and I never had to change a key fob battery with any of those cars - each of which was owned for four or more years.

Keyless is something I’d happily do without. It was a standard feature on my car but if it wasn’t, I’d never have paid extra for it. I like to think I’m more than capable of pressing a button on the key fob to unlock / lock the car and use the key to start the car.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
My attempt at trying to get the car upgraded from 1803 to 1890 software has been a disaster, the only fault on the car prior to going in was the MPH/KPH random ACC fault otherwise it was fine. The car was booked in on recall VW number 9088-1.

I was told by (Peter Cooper, Shirley) this recall had just been released but they could not confirm the TPI or software number, even though I gave it to them. They had logged the MPH/PH ACC errors on previous visits. It came back, still on 1803, but missing completely ACC, Travel Assist, Dynamic sign, Driver Profile and auto dip on main beam amongst others. These functions were completely deleted from the main menu.

It has been back in the workshop since Friday, they have tried to delete the update with no success and are currently waiting for VW technical to come up with a solution. How I regret ever taking it in! I still haven't had an answer what the VW 9088-1 recall was for or what it was supposed to achieve, does anyone have any information on this?

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Donald,

You could try this - hold down the on/off button on the infotainment unit until it reboots, this clears some messages I have had in the past, have a go anyway.
Thanks went to car this morning and it was ok

Antsyy

thanks for this the key is kept in the kitchen at the back of the house, will check if it is flashing or not. Watched a YouTube video of VAG Italy about changing the battery and they said when using Keyless it’s lasts about 6 months.
Hi, i have had golf 8 now 1,5 year and never changed key battery and yes i have keyless access.

Reactions: tos

Jedi86615

Thought I'd share this since I hadn't seen it posted:

Autocar reports that VW is planning on upgrading the SoC in the infotainment system for better performance, and software updates for enhanced touch and voice input.

No mention of backlit controls, but hey, who knows.

Since this is a UK news outlet, I'm not sure if these updates have already made it to the US models.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...e-golf-infotainment-new-software-and-hardware
Hi

Did anyone find out which cars would have the new hardware? Im about to order a car which has a build week 8 ( February). The article suggests 2022, however unsure as to when they would implement this.

This article just mentions 2022: https://uk.motor1.com/news/555244/2022-vw-golf-infotainment-upgrade/

This article mentions production with the new system should have started by now: https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-...ainment-amid-criticism-in-line-for-australia/

Both the dealer and VWUK can't comment and have mentioned that it is the factory that know and no way to find out until the car is actually in their hands!

How can a dealer not know which updates are due? surely they can speak to head office?

Any help welcome.

Thank you in advance

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back from the dealer. Update to 1890 successful!

Device part number: 5H0035816J
Software: 1890

Unfortunately I am not in the UK so I can't comment on the MPH/KMH ACC error.

I will report back in a couple of days to let you know if the responsiveness of the infotainment has improved (on the short drive back from the dealer it seemed more responsive).

Reactions: tos

Jedi86615

Just got back from the dealer. Update to 1890 successful!

Device part number: 5H0035816J
Software: 1890

Unfortunately I am not in the UK so I can't comment on the MPH/KMH ACC error.

I will report back in a couple of days to let you know if the responsiveness of the infotainment has improved (on the short drive back from the dealer it seemed more responsive).
Thank you

Good to know that the 1890 update is being rolled out. I was wondering if anyone knew when the new hardware, as the article suggested, would be placed into production?

The article is vague and the dealer has not even heard of the new hardware change.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you

Good to know that the 1890 update is being rolled out. I was wondering if anyone knew when the new hardware, as the article suggested, would be placed into production?

The article is vague and the dealer has not even heard of the new hardware change.
According to @Massimo 2323 (who knows about these things) the new hardware won't become available until model year 2023. Here's his post:
https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/inde...oying-infotainment-system.392166/post-7749102

The new model year is usually introduced in the summer of the previous year, after the factory shutdown. So MY23 after August 2022?