GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Another update. After more than a month my Golf 8 style etsi is still with the dealer (Peter Cooper, Shirley, Southampton) following the update recall
VW 9088-1 they applied resulted in most of the assist systems becoming unavailable plus loss of other functions.

It has been passed to VW Germany who have not communicated back to the dealer for over 3 weeks now.

Car was basically fine on 1803 before the update was applied, no-one seems to know what recall 9088-1 was supposed to achieve, I had hoped it was 1890, does anybody out there know?

Waiting to hear from VW customer services what they can offer, although I sense know the answer... pretty disgusting really.
The 9088 Recall is a MHEV software update package for the eTSI model Golf 8 with the 48V battery. Some of the control units get updated which are not listed in the TPI but I suspect is similar to another MHEV TPI update and these are 01 Engine/ 19 Gateway / 21 48V Battery Module and CC Alternator module.
If you f..k up the gateway that's where you get problems with all the other units...

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Massimo. that is more information than I have been able to get through the dealer or VW. If there was one system on the car that had always worked faultlessly, it was the MHEV system containing the items you mention. So VW have updated and f**ked up a perfectly good functioning system on the car. Strangely ACC, Travel Assist, Dynamic sign, driver Profile and Auto Main beam dip now seem to be the things that are unavailable or missing altogether.

What function does the gateway perform on the car Massimo? and do you have any ideas how VW Germany are going to make good this mess. The dealer said they had initially tried to uninstall the update but without success and VW UK then handed it over to Germany where it seems to have ground to a halt.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@SimonGC - Here’s hoping your VW dealer has provided you with a free courtesy car for the duration while they and / or VW Germany sort out the issues they’ve created when applying update recall 9088.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks SRGTD, yes I do have a courtesy car, only a 1.0 litre 5 speed Polo but thankful to be mobile. To be fair, the dealer has been OK, they are not happy with my car sitting around for a month plus waiting for VW Germany to come back to them with a TPi/Recall that actually works....their words

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
There’s an expression ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. I’m coming to the conclusion that with VW the expression should read ‘If it’s partially broken don’t bother trying to fix it (because we can’t)’.
You are right.
It keeps me wonder, how my regular petrol Style, produced Oct 2020, SW 1664, still works (first dealer visit in next 6000 km). Some minor glitches, that I used to live with, but generally, providing me A to B transportation.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
You are right.
It keeps me wonder, how my regular petrol Style, produced Oct 2020, SW 1664, still works (first dealer visit in next 6000 km). Some minor glitches, that I used to live with, but generally, providing me A to B transportation.
I imagine it isn't every single car that has problems beyond various degrees of annoyances (that tend to come with abundance of software) and that the ones with problems are more likely to seek advice / post about them on forums :)

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Are you getting the Travel assist fault also?
If not then your problem could be the SOS unit would need to be swapped ...
No i don't think i've ever seen the travel assist fault.
It always follows the double click and the little globe and user symbol disappearing sometimes they'll reappear but if i get the SOS error they stay vanished for the rest of the journey.
I noticed yesterday that i was getting the double click just before every major junction on the M25 and it reappearing just after until the 4th time when the SOS error appeared and it stayed blank.
On the return journey everything was normal but i still got the double clicks a few times and i noticed that my phone that was streaming kept losing the signal at roughly the same points.
I personally think the car cannot handle changing mobile signals as you travel which would explain why it happens at the same places also i suspect this is why it can have the KPH/MPH malarkey in the same places, oddly enough that was faultless last night until i turned off the M25 and it gave the KPH speed.
It's going in for a service Tuesday so i'll see what they say.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
No i don't think i've ever seen the travel assist fault.
It always follows the double click and the little globe and user symbol disappearing sometimes they'll reappear but if i get the SOS error they stay vanished for the rest of the journey.
I noticed yesterday that i was getting the double click just before every major junction on the M25 and it reappearing just after until the 4th time when the SOS error appeared and it stayed blank.
On the return journey everything was normal but i still got the double clicks a few times and i noticed that my phone that was streaming kept losing the signal at roughly the same points.
I personally think the car cannot handle changing mobile signals as you travel which would explain why it happens at the same places also i suspect this is why it can have the KPH/MPH malarkey in the same places, oddly enough that was faultless last night until i turned off the M25 and it gave the KPH speed.
It's going in for a service Tuesday so i'll see what they say.
They need to apply Recall 91BU-W-OCU which fixed it for me.

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car now 20 months old, had steering wheel changed, numerous updates since and still experiencing errors with travel assist/ TPM/e-sim/ no blue tooth, so emailed VW CEO who arranged for UK to contact me and just had my 14th visit back to the dealership to try and identify issues only to find out that the SOS module needs replacing before they can start any diagnostics, so back next week for 15th visit. Dealership informed that they are having more models coming back with the same issues as the Golf.

Jedi86615

Car now 20 months old, had steering wheel changed, numerous updates since and still experiencing errors with travel assist/ TPM/e-sim/ no blue tooth, so emailed VW CEO who arranged for UK to contact me and just had my 14th visit back to the dealership to try and identify issues only to find out that the SOS module needs replacing before they can start any diagnostics, so back next week for 15th visit. Dealership informed that they are having more models coming back with the same issues as the Golf.
Are you not able to reject the car? Granted the car is now 20months old, but you've raised the issue at the beginning so surely you have a case? Or get some compensation? Does anyone know what the case is and timeline for rejecting a faulty car?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Are you not able to reject the car? Granted the car is now 20months old, but you've raised the issue at the beginning so surely you have a case? Or get some compensation? Does anyone know what the case is and timeline for rejecting a faulty car?
Under UK consumer legislation I think the time limitation for no quibble outright rejection and full refund is 30 days. After that;
  • between 1 and 6 months; dealer has to be given one chance to fix the issue(s). If they fail to fix the issue(s) to the customer‘s satisfaction, then the dealer has to offer a refund which could be either a full or partial refund depending on the condition of the car and the amount of use it has had.
  • 6 months old or older; issues should be fixed under warranty, but I believe the right to reject the car is lost. Also, bear in mind that not everything is necessarily covered under warranty for the full duration of the warranty e.g. under VW’s new car factory warranty, parts and components considered to be wear and tear items and only covered for the first 6 months / 6,500 miles, whichever happens first.
Anyone considering rejection should bear in mind the current state of the new and used car market;
  • potential very long lead times in getting a new replacement car due to fewer new cars being built as a result of ongoing semiconductor supply issues and the impact of Covid on car manufacturers workforces.
  • because of limited supplies of new cars, increased demand for good quality nearly new used cars resulting in very low used car stock levels at most dealers, limiting supply and choice for buyers.
The above might not be an issue if a person considering the rejection route has another vehicle to make use of, but it could be a problem if the car being rejected is their sole means of transport.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
@SRGTD is right. In practice, after 1 month anyone who rejects a car is really selling it back to the dealer (because the dealer can make a reasonable deduction for mileage used).

In the current buoyant used car market, you might not lose much.

The problem, as @SRGTD points out, will you be able to get a replacement vehicle?

Jedi86615

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I agree, the current car market is a total mess right now with supply issues and it is definitely something to consider before rejecting. Its a shame though to spend hard earned money on a new car to then having to visit the dealer on 15 occasions. Granted the dealer is the middle 'man' in this and VW should be sorting this out.
Under UK consumer legislation I think the time limitation for no quibble outright rejection and full refund is 30 days. After that;
  • between 1 and 6 months; dealer has to be given one chance to fix the issue(s). If they fail to fix the issue(s) to the customer‘s satisfaction, then the dealer has to offer a refund which could be either a full or partial refund depending on the condition of the car and the amount of use it has had.
  • 6 months old or older; issues should be fixed under warranty, but I believe the right to reject the car is lost. Also, bear in mind that not everything is necessarily covered under warranty for the full duration of the warranty e.g. under VW’s new car factory warranty, parts and components considered to be wear and tear items and only covered for the first 6 months / 6,500 miles, whichever happens first.
Anyone considering rejection should bear in mind the current state of the new and used car market;
  • potential very long lead times in getting a new replacement car due to fewer new cars being built as a result of ongoing semiconductor supply issues and the impact of Covid on car manufacturers workforces.
  • because of limited supplies of new cars, increased demand for good quality nearly new used cars resulting in very low used car stock levels at most dealers, limiting supply and choice for buyers.