GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Another update. After one and a half months My Golf 8 style etsi is still with the dealer (Peter Cooper, Shirley, Southampton) following the update recall VW 9088-1 they applied resulted in most of the assist systems becoming unavailable plus loss of other functions.

It has been passed to VW Germany who, after a month, came back with several fixes, none of which worked

Car was basically fine on 1803 before this

VW Customer Services offer the usual platitudes, the dealer waits helplessly for another communication from Germany, 1 month?, 1 year? who knows? Meanwhile the the car sits outside their workshops getting covered in birdshit. VW doesn't really give a toss.

Sorry to keep boring you with this but, if you are unlucky like me, this is how VW treat their customers.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Another update. After one and a half months My Golf 8 style etsi is still with the dealer (Peter Cooper, Shirley, Southampton) following the update recall VW 9088-1 they applied resulted in most of the assist systems becoming unavailable plus loss of other functions.

It has been passed to VW Germany who, after a month, came back with several fixes, none of which worked

Car was basically fine on 1803 before this

VW Customer Services offer the usual platitudes, the dealer waits helplessly for another communication from Germany, 1 month?, 1 year? who knows? Meanwhile the the car sits outside their workshops getting covered in birdshit. VW doesn't really give a toss.

Sorry to keep boring you with this but, if you are unlucky like me, this is how VW treat their customers.
Really sorry to hear of your woes.

In your position, I’d be very tempted to involve the media as this is the sort of case they’d love to get their hands on, and it might it might push VW into coming up with some sort of resolution that would be acceptable to you. I might contact VW’s UK CEO in advance of involving the media as a courtesy, to see if that might expedite a satisfactory outcome.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
‘OTA full software update is disabled’ 🤔🤔🤔? Presumably VW could enable it, meaning the inconvenience for both dealers and customers to update software at the workshop could be avoided 🤔🤔🤔?
I imagine OTA is disabled because it doesn't (yet) work as reliably as it should. The dealership can try different things if something goes wrong with the update (it still can happen even on PCs/Macs) and do some diagnostics to determine if it went as expected. Even they apparently can't guarantee the outcome as @SimonGC's unfortunate experience tells us.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your reply SRGTD, I had gravitated towards the direction you suggest. Does anyone have name and contact details (email or post) of the current VW UK CEO ?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Good luck.

Usually the best way is to keep the letter fairly short and impeccably polite. Your case is bad enough to speak for itself. You want to get the Executive Complaints Team (for that's who it will be sent to) on-side, rather than alienate them.

(Not saying you would do anything different.)

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Email and impeccably polite letter sent to Mr Alex Smith MD VW UK. Email reply received from the Executive office (as Handydave predicted) apologising that Mr Smith couldn't deal with it in person but that the case had been passed to Meera Chand at the Executive Complaints Team who would be in touch within 48 hours. I hope this generates a more proactive stance and a better outcome, we shall see.

Thanks to everyone who has helped thus far.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone from the UK on this thread able to confirm when update 1890 will be available in the UK? I've just asked my dealer to check my car details and she said there are no service bulletins or recalls currently showing for my car a late August 2020 build 1.5 150bhp Style, and genuinely didn't seem to have any knowledge about the press release from VW with reference to the mass rollout of the software update program before June 2022.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Still no update in regards to the 1810 software update for those on 166x like yourself.
The 1890 is only for Golf 8 built after week 48 (end of november) 2020 with software 17xx or 180x…

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder when Volkswagen will start actively communicating with their existing customers with regards to the new software rollout like it's claimed in the press release because my main dealer doesn't appear to have been told anything from them yet let alone existing customers.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Anyone from the UK on this thread able to confirm when update 1890 will be available in the UK? I've just asked my dealer to check my car details and she said there are no service bulletins or recalls currently showing for my car a late August 2020 build 1.5 150bhp Style, and genuinely didn't seem to have any knowledge about the press release from VW with reference to the mass rollout of the software update program before June 2022.
It’s already available: some UK owners on VWROC.com and golfgtiforum.co.uk forums have had the 1890 update applied to their cars.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder when Volkswagen will start actively communicating with their existing customers with regards to the new software rollout like it's claimed in the press release because my main dealer doesn't appear to have been told anything from them yet let alone existing customers.

I have software version 1890 in my GTD which was upgraded at the start of January. My car was going in for a number of problems and I quoted the TPI that Massimo stated in a previous thread. This, combined with the fact that I’d already logged a fault against the Travel Assist system, gave the dealership a reason to update it, which they duly did. Sounds to me like your dealership either doesn’t know what they are doing or don’t want to help much. Hope that you get it sorted.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
It appears that because my car is on 1664 there is no update yet in the UK as I have to wait for 1810 to be released first.