GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

I have got exactly the same problem (post #543). Today in the morning I went to the service for 2nd try but they told me, if it doesn't help they will have to switch the whole infotainment unit for the new one (for free of course)...
Thanks for the feedback. What did they do for the 2nd try?
I'm going to give it a few days of tries then call the service if it ain't working.

fantozzi.cz

Thanks for the feedback. What did they do for the 2nd try?
I'm going to give it a few days of tries then call the service if it ain't working.
Still waiting for the car... They should try to reinstall 1896 again.

Still waiting for the car... They should try to reinstall 1896 again.
After numerous unsuccessful tries I decided it's pointless to wait and scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday with the service.

Did you also try removing the We Connect user and factory reset the car? After I did this the SHOP tile is no longer present on the homescreen. It was there before.
Regarding the homescreen the manual says: "Touch the tile and keep your finger on the screen until an additional window opens." No matter how long I keep my finger on a tile there is NO additional window. I can only move the tile around.
I also have to enter my S-PIN when I start the car in the morning eventough I clicked on "don't ask again". If the car is parked for a short time only, then it doesn't ask for the S-PIN. :)

I also had problems with Apple Music streaming via my iPhone. It simply stopped playing music after a few seconds and started buffering for 20-30 seconds. At first I found out that if I disable the E-SIM then Apple Music streaming works and the car is still online, reporting data to We Connect.
Then I guess on the Apple support forum an Audi user had the same problem and found that disabling the hotspot in the infotainment for his phone made Apple Music to stream again with enabled E-SIM. Works for me too.

VW software is utter garbage and it negatively impacts user experience. They shouldn't have launched the car in this half baked state.

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
True or False? factoid from today's (27/07) Steve Wright In The Afternoon show (BBC R2) some car's software can contain up to 100 million lines of code! Maybe we're being a bit hard on VW :giggle:
Only when you save OBD11 backup file, it contains more than 37000 rows things that you can recode.... :D
.txt file is more than one megabyte

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Here is the latest Software / Hardware (Europe) of the Infotainment System:
Infotainment.jpg

fantozzi.cz

After numerous unsuccessful tries I decided it's pointless to wait and scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday with the service.

Did you also try removing the We Connect user and factory reset the car? After I did this the SHOP tile is no longer present on the homescreen. It was there before.
Regarding the homescreen the manual says: "Touch the tile and keep your finger on the screen until an additional window opens." No matter how long I keep my finger on a tile there is NO additional window. I can only move the tile around.
I also have to enter my S-PIN when I start the car in the morning eventough I clicked on "don't ask again". If the car is parked for a short time only, then it doesn't ask for the S-PIN. :)

I also had problems with Apple Music streaming via my iPhone. It simply stopped playing music after a few seconds and started buffering for 20-30 seconds. At first I found out that if I disable the E-SIM then Apple Music streaming works and the car is still online, reporting data to We Connect.
Then I guess on the Apple support forum an Audi user had the same problem and found that disabling the hotspot in the infotainment for his phone made Apple Music to stream again with enabled E-SIM. Works for me too.

VW software is utter garbage and it negatively impacts user experience. They shouldn't have launched the car in this half baked state.
After 2nd try to reinstall 1896 (in VW Service) everything is fine now. No problems at all (knock, knock...)

fantozzi.cz

Here is the latest Software / Hardware (Europe) of the Infotainment System:
View attachment 256736
Massimo, my hardware version is 5H0035816J but dealer told me yesterday I have Discover Media only (in your chart there is Discover Pro). I am also not able to view map on AID display... My Navigation database is 21.2 and no updates available (no subscription to We Connect Plus). Is the update of Navigation database based on subscription to We Connect Plus? Thanx 😀

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Massimo, my hardware version is 5H0035816J but dealer told me yesterday I have Discover Media only (in your chart there is Discover Pro). I am also not able to view map on AID display... My Navigation database is 21.2 and no updates available (no subscription to We Connect Plus). Is the update of Navigation database based on subscription to We Connect Plus? Thanx 😀
Was your original hardware 5H0035816C with 166x and Discovery Media?
So before week 48 of 2020 there was only one hardware for Discovery Media and the Pro. To Differentiate these two versions they did so by changing settings in the software.
The 816B and 816C are the same hardware for both Discovery Media and the Pro while from week 48 of 2020 the Discovery Media has a different hardware 5H0035820x while the Pro still has 5H0035816x.
So in your case updating the infotainment to 1896 you still have the Discovery Pro hardware which is now 5H0035816J but it is programmed as Discovery Media.
You should be able to get the maps on the AID with a setting in the maps on the infotainment and then try pressing the View button until the map appears.
You only get the Navigation database updates if you have the We Connect Plus subscription.
You can do it manually by downloading the Navigation database file from VW (Link at bottom) and extracting it on to a Usb-c stick.
https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/en/download/#download

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I know that unless you are related to new CEO Oliver Blume then your chance of replacing the gateway are very very very slim...
Like many others who are still stuck on 16xx with various problems you will need to wait for the appropriate recall....

fantozzi.cz

Was your original hardware 5H0035816C with 166x and Discovery Media?
So before week 48 of 2020 there was only one hardware for Discovery Media and the Pro. To Differentiate these two versions they did so by changing settings in the software.
The 816B and 816C are the same hardware for both Discovery Media and the Pro while from week 48 of 2020 the Discovery Media has a different hardware 5H0035820x while the Pro still has 5H0035816x.
So in your case updating the infotainment to 1896 you still have the Discovery Pro hardware which is now 5H0035816J but it is programmed as Discovery Media.
You should be able to get the maps on the AID with a setting in the maps on the infotainment and then try pressing the View button until the map appears.
You only get the Navigation database updates if you have the We Connect Plus subscription.
You can do it manually by downloading the Navigation database file from VW (Link at bottom) and extracting it on to a Usb-c stick.
https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/en/download/#download
Thank you Massimo for your reply but I am confused now 😀 My car contains: gesture control, voice control "Hello Volkswagen", Harman Kardon soundsystem...
How can I recognize if my system is Media or Pro??? Thanx

After 2nd try to reinstall 1896 (in VW Service) everything is fine now. No problems at all (knock, knock...)
It's great to hear. I hope mine will be fixed too next week. :)

The manual is not clear on this, they appear to confuse screens and tiles. On the Home screen you can only rearrange the tiles by touching, holding and move around - like your smart phone.

When on the Home screen and swipe to the next screen - at that point you can rearrange the functions shown by touching a function, holding and editing as desired (delete / add etc)
At that point touch the pencil / write symbol - this enables the creation of additional screens by touching the + symbol - a bit like creating shortcuts on the IS drop down menu.
I personally have four screens including the Home screen, you will find though that some if not all functions cannot be placed on multiple screens (that needs confirmation)

Initially, I had trouble setting up myself as primary user and using S-PIN, I reset / deleted everything and eventually got it right and works fine since then.

The software in my case and so many others was certainly infuriating - for over a year had to put up with errors appearing almost daily, the recent 1896 and IS software update fixed all that and although very late in the day, am now reasonably happy with the car 🤞🍀
I figured this out myself after watching a youtube video explaining the infotainment system :)

Even after 1896 I had a few Travel and Emergency Assist warnings with the annoying sound. I read that a couple of guys had this as well and it was resolved with a replacement wheel with cabling.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you Massimo for your reply but I am confused now 😀 My car contains: gesture control, voice control "Hello Volkswagen", Harman Kardon soundsystem...
How can I recognize if my system is Media or Pro??? Thanx
Do you ever have the VW maps on both displays at the same time? If not then you have the Media.

fantozzi.cz

Do you ever have the VW maps on both displays at the same time? If not then you have the Media.
No, only on 1 at the same time - so this is the proof I have Discover Media only - thank you Massimo.
Now I am giving it up because there is so many options in VW DiscoverCare to update Discover Media (Gen 2) Maps and no description what Region is used in infotainment system now. I can choose (for Czech Republic): Europe 3, Europe DL1, Europe DL2, Europe DL4, Europe AS.

If I understand it correctly - I have 2 options to update Navigation database (now 21.2) - am I right?
1) online via OTA from the car (I have to pay for subscription to We Connect Plus)
2) offline via VW DiscoverCare (via USB stick) - for free???

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 18.57.40.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 18.57.40.png
    925.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
I checked digital manual version today: 1.68.1
If it updates again, it should change :rolleyes: