GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
No, only on 1 at the same time - so this is the proof I have Discover Media only - thank you Massimo.
Now I am giving it up because there is so many options in VW DiscoverCare to update Discover Media (Gen 2) Maps and no description what Region is used in infotainment system now. I can choose (for Czech Republic): Europe 3, Europe DL1, Europe DL2, Europe DL4, Europe AS.

If I understand it correctly - I have 2 options to update Navigation database (now 21.2) - am I right?
1) online via OTA from the car (I have to pay for subscription to We Connect Plus)
2) offline via VW DiscoverCare (via USB stick) - for free???
That is correct👍.

fantozzi.cz

Hi Massimo 2323

I'm a bit confused about which Discover software I have!
Before the 1896 and IS software update the Navigation Database was 19.7, after the update it showed as 22.3, since then it has updated in several steps to 22.6
Following the 1896 and IS update I have Nav maps in one display only which is great - don't see the need to have them in both displays at the same time, although it would make it more convenient to set up a journey.
I have had the same software update in the last few weeks - about four times, all have downloaded and installed to completion - Digital Manual, small improvements and error prevention.
I don't have a We Connect Plus subscription.
How can I find out which Discover software I have or what the story is re. map updates :confused: Car is January 2021 Style model - 1st attached shows system info just prior to 1896 / IS update, 2nd and 3rd just after and latest.
How did you update Navigation database without We Connect Plus subscription?

Niceguy235

Just to note i have had a few minor updates over the last couple of weeks with no evidence of anything being any different, although, i have the radio station on the main dash display on the left, and the station name seems to sit lower down below the logo, although that could be my imagination!

fantozzi.cz

I misunderstood the update process, in Golf 8 the update is not provided via Discover Care but via USB stick.
So I prepared a USB stick according to the manual and inserted it into the car. Downloaded update was 22.6. My last database was 21.2. After a week of driving a car with inserted USB stick navigation database is updated now - but to database 21.11 only! 👹 I am confused now 🤪

Attachments

• B1BDFE66-56BA-400B-804E-45468D2056F4.jpeg
    B1BDFE66-56BA-400B-804E-45468D2056F4.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
True or False? factoid from today's (27/07) Steve Wright In The Afternoon show (BBC R2) some car's software can contain up to 100 million lines of code! Maybe we're being a bit hard on VW :giggle:
I'm a software engineer. Code bases are so complex that it's difficult to keep how it works in your head.

However when they says it's a million lines they are counting third party code that you use in projects. I'm sure it's less than 100k lines and even then it's conditions, reading information , writing information. It's still complex and difficult to get right

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I am very confused too, the only way my Nav database could have updated is via those software updates that VW released over the past few weeks. Haven't been with the dealer since the 1896 / IS software update in May last. I have never downloaded anything from or even visited that VW website and the only USB drive I have in the car is one containing MP3 files!
By the way had another of those software updates this evening, at least the fifth in as many weeks or less, all showing the same details..........
View attachment 257288
I had a map update OTA a few weeks ago (UK) I don’t have any data subscriptions or such like, the only way it can have connected to VW servers is via the in built SIM card.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Until you have the weconnect plus the navigation database will get downloaded OTA. While the other system updates will always come OTA as only the Weconnect (Not Plus) is necessary.
To check the weconnect subscription go in Shop / WeConnect and you should see the subscription period.
Maps.png

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
It turns out that, without my knowledge, I do have an active WeConnect+ subscription, 🤷‍♂️
2DDD51FE-DCCC-419C-8446-82049C8AA721.jpeg

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
With the Discovery Pro i got 3 year weconnect plus subscription.
Looking at the latest brochure in Ireland the Golf 8 comes with Discovery Media and 1 year weconnect plus subscription.
C16A6A6B-9853-4BB4-A149-B9691CF0FC80.jpeg

TwoSheds

I was told by VW Digital ( Germany ), when I had another query about We Connect , that the Nav Map updates are done automatically OTA without any notification to customers.

They now do up to 12 map updates per year OTA for We Connect Plus subscribers

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
As if I haven t had enough problems with my golf... I recently acquired a new one... Vw never stops to surprise me.... The problem now is that I cannot change my privacy settings and I cannot perform factory settings reset by via the menu option.... Is there any other hard reset option by some key combination or something like that... When I am trying to factory reset it gives me a message of privacy setting not appropriate. I also cannot add basic user...

daveb15

Ready to race!
I noticed tonight that VW have added the ability to read text messages on Apple iPhone via the Bluetooth interface, previously you could only do that on android phones or on Apple CarPlay.

OJT23

I’m trying to get CarPlay working on my golf mk8. When I click app-connect it says please visit the shop but there is no app-connect on the shop. Does anyone have any ideas? The dealer is saying there is no update for my car yet. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• A8064A30-2C8E-4726-99D3-6B2E153C6036.jpeg
    A8064A30-2C8E-4726-99D3-6B2E153C6036.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • 92D777C2-6C4B-4C8C-9837-85BAC49A4390.jpeg
    92D777C2-6C4B-4C8C-9837-85BAC49A4390.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 114

TheDutchieGolf8

After numerous unsuccessful tries I decided it's pointless to wait and scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday with the service.

Did you also try removing the We Connect user and factory reset the car? After I did this the SHOP tile is no longer present on the homescreen. It was there before.
Regarding the homescreen the manual says: "Touch the tile and keep your finger on the screen until an additional window opens." No matter how long I keep my finger on a tile there is NO additional window. I can only move the tile around.
I also have to enter my S-PIN when I start the car in the morning eventough I clicked on "don't ask again". If the car is parked for a short time only, then it doesn't ask for the S-PIN. :)

I also had problems with Apple Music streaming via my iPhone. It simply stopped playing music after a few seconds and started buffering for 20-30 seconds. At first I found out that if I disable the E-SIM then Apple Music streaming works and the car is still online, reporting data to We Connect.
Then I guess on the Apple support forum an Audi user had the same problem and found that disabling the hotspot in the infotainment for his phone made Apple Music to stream again with enabled E-SIM. Works for me too.

VW software is utter garbage and it negatively impacts user experience. They shouldn't have launched the car in this half baked state.
Had the same issue as you with Apple Music. Disabling the e-Sim made it work. All other functions were also good with doing that, only thing is the blue dot with a 1 in it, thinking you might have an update waiting.. but, disabling the hotspot didn’t work for me, because it would disconnect the complete iPhone from the infotainment system. Making it impossible to use.

After the update last week to 1896, e-Sim didn’t have to be disabled anymore to make Apple Music stream. Until today, where it had a tiny hickup while streaming. Hoping it was just a onetimer.

Another issue I had after the update to 1896, is a strange behaviour of the gearbox (so it seems). I wonder if any of you guys have the same problem. When braking slowly (e.g. from 50 kmh to 0 kmh) it seems that from 3rd gear to 2nd gear, the gearbox or clutch seems to disengage pretty abruptly. So that feels as if the brakes don’t work for half a second. It makes you feel like you move forward pretty quick and very shortly. It feels very unpleasant and I hope they can fix it. Car is 2 years old, and although downshifting wasn’t as smooth as my previous Golf 7 DSG, its now worse than it was before the 1896 update.

I’m at:

PART: 5H0035816G
HARDWARE: H56
SOFTWARE: 1896
ABT HARDWARE: H40
ABT SOFTWARE: 3074