GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

feds85

I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.
Hi s3bax - still this issue or solved meanwhile? I have the same...

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I had two dash warnings come up today, front assist fault and driving assist fault (I think) both reset after 5 mins?

feds85

Just had a call with local dealer and they will check it - got the date in mid of September! But they said that today I am the 3rd one who has the problem with Navigation (showing location 100-150km far away from the current location).

I also mentioned that I have problem with the gearbox when slowing down, they were not aware and they will check it. But they can only report it to VW and wait.

...frustrated.

Niceguy235

Well, just been out in the dark for the first time for a few months and I now no longer have front poor weather fog lights or cornering lights, or fogs on in reverse.

I really can’t wait to see what crap the dealer comes out with this time.

You really couldn’t make this up.

I have also noticed the gearbox problem after the 1896 update and I will definitely report it. I will take the car to the service tomorrow with SOS and travel/emergency assist problems which usually occurs when turning though I also experienced right after ignition. I read that it requires a replacement wheel. Anyone knows if the replacement wheel is fitted with touch buttons? I wouldn't want that. :)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Well, just been out in the dark for the first time for a few months and I now no longer have front poor weather fog lights or cornering lights, or fogs on in reverse.

I really can’t wait to see what crap the dealer comes out with this time.

You really couldn’t make this up.
Are your settings for which side of the road you are driving on correctly set?? I know if I switch mine over to LHD some of the light functions are no longer available!

M|W

Anyone knows if the replacement wheel is fitted with touch buttons? I wouldn't want that.
I was worried about the same thing when I had my steering wheel replaced in January. However, the replacement wheel was identical to the original one, which had physical buttons.

Niceguy235

Are your settings for which side of the road you are driving on correctly set?? I know if I switch mine over to LHD some of the light functions are no longer available!

Thanks

I did pop out again and checked the headlight settings and it is still set for "driving on the left" although i didnt toggle it on and off to see if that did anything so i might give that a try.

Juts to add that on the screen it does display on or off when i switch them with the touch buttons, and the icon turns green but nothing happens with that or when cornering.

Last edited:

feds85

I have also noticed the gearbox problem after the 1896 update and I will definitely report it. I will take the car to the service tomorrow with SOS and travel/emergency assist problems which usually occurs when turning though I also experienced right after ignition. I read that it requires a replacement wheel. Anyone knows if the replacement wheel is fitted with touch buttons? I wouldn't want that. :)
I already have the wheel replaced (was done at the dealer before I bought the car) and the buttons are classic. SOS/em calls issue and Navi issue started 3 weeks after 1896 installation. Currently navi shows 90 km different location. When dealer told me yesterday that I am the 3rd at the same day with the navi issues, I am wondering if this may be solved by some OTA update (?)...

I already have the wheel replaced (was done at the dealer before I bought the car) and the buttons are classic. SOS/em calls issue and Navi issue started 3 weeks after 1896 installation. Currently navi shows 90 km different location. When dealer told me yesterday that I am the 3rd at the same day with the navi issues, I am wondering if this may be solved by some OTA update (?)...
I'm not aware of any navi issues because I use Waze via CarPlay. SOS is new for me, never had that before. I have been experiencing travel and emergency assist for a few monrhs. Last time they said the 1896 update along with some other updates resolved it but apparently it didn't. 🙁 Now also have the DSG issue and for a change I also had low battery (12V) warnings.

I'm starting to lose faith.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
My previously well behaved ehybrid with 1896 software has lost the plot today. Navigation says I'm in North London 20 miles away from actual location, no traffic or speed limit data, and a blank where the world symbol was this morning. Might this be a VW server issue?

feds85

Status today morning: Driving to work, still SOS emergency call issue and navigation showing 90 km different location. Second drive after one hour - SOS/emergency call working - Navigation working.

1. it could be VW server issue (as local dealer told me several customers calling with the same problem last week)
2. temperature? (last week almost 38°C, today 19 °C) - I remember when last year guy at car rental in Italy told me - they have a lot of problems with all Golf mk8 when the temperature is high...he hasn´t specified what, just in general

Anyway, my service check will be on 19th September, let´s see what they will discover.

EDIT 23rd Aug - SOS and Navi problem again.

Last edited:
I had the SOS module replaced and apparently that should resolve the travel and emergency assist warnings. Also the 12V battery was replaced under warranty. Let's hope the car will be more enjoyable now.