GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Dwj

My previously well behaved ehybrid with 1896 software has lost the plot today. Navigation says I'm in North London 20 miles away from actual location, no traffic or speed limit data, and a blank where the world symbol was this morning. Might this be a VW server issue?
Same issue with 1896. Also now getting an sos emergency error about 10 times a day, driving me crazy

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Just to add another data point, our 1.5 eTSI (build week 29/2020) was in for its 2nd annual service today and received the 91CU and 90S8 service campaigns.

Campaign 91CU updated the Device Part Number from no suffix to suffix G, and the Infotainment Software from 1668 to 1896. I'm not sure what 90S8 does.

Here's the System Information BEFORE:
20220816_155147.jpg

20220816_155200.jpg

And AFTER:
20220824_171558.jpg

20220824_171604.jpg

After the update I had to log in with my email and password on the infotainment screen. On the first attempt it displayed 'loading settings' for a couple of minutes before failing to load. It worked on the second attempt, though. I then set the primary user using the two key method.

However, the biggest inconvenience is that all the user settings have been lost - including radio presets, satnav favourites and vehicle settings.

ANYONE WHO IS TAKING THEIR CAR TO THE DEALER FOR THE 91CU SOFTWARE UPDATE IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO MAKE A NOTE OF THEIR PREFERENCES BEFOREHAND.

if it's any help, here is my list of the type of settings to be recorded and subsequently re-entered:
Assist Menu
- Front Assist Active
- Advance Warning - Medium etc
- All others 'On'
- In Assist settings (top left of Assist screen) set Eco Assist on/off
Adaptive Cruise Control
- Driving Profile - Comfort
- Last Distance - Selected
- Road Layout Preview - On/Off
- Speed Limit Preview - On/Off
Dynamic Road Sign DIsplay
- Speed Warning - On/Off
Vehicle Menu
- Cockpit DIsplay Eco Tips - On/Off
- Synchronous Mirrors - On/Off
- Lower in Reverse - On/Off
- Door Locking - single door / all doors
Reset the View/Settings for the Virtual Cockpit Display
Turn on Ambient Lighting and Reset the Colour
Reset Radio Station Favourites
Re-pair Mobile Phones
Re-enter phone favourites
Set Satnav Volume - Mute/Unmute
Re-enter Satnav favourites
S-PIN - on/off

Hope this is of some interest.

I haven't had time to check the improved responsiveness of the screen or the abrupt gearbox downshifts that have been reported by some other forum members, but I'll post some driving impressions in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

TheDutchieGolf8

Hi. I have exactly the same problem with gearbox! Have you fixed that already?
No, long story short, I spoke to the dealership which sent a message to the Dutch VW company (PON) and represents VW for The Netherlands. They replied that this is normal behaviour and that the cause lies in the mild hybrid charging system.
I told my dealership that this behaviour wasn’t there before the update, which means it is created because of the update.
The dealership agrees with me, and they tell me that I have to make a complaint to PON and let them handle the issue.
I find this should be solved under warranty (4 years) and I will not be satisfied until the problem is solved.
Yesterday I contacted the dealer where I bought the car new (which is not the same dealer which applied the update), as they helped me always the best they could, I explained the issue, and they will contact me before the weekend, which should be tomorrow at the latest.

This is the thread where I posted the same story:
https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/brakes-feeling-odd.399895/#post-7864902

TheDutchieGolf8

Just to add another data point, our 1.5 eTSI (build week 29/2020) was in for its 2nd annual service today and received the 91CU and 90S8 service campaigns.

Campaign 91CU updated the Device Part Number from no suffix to suffix G, and the Infotainment Software from 1668 to 1896. I'm not sure what 90S8 does.

Here's the System Information BEFORE: View attachment 259014
View attachment 259015

And AFTER:
View attachment 259016

View attachment 259017

After the update I had to log in with my email and password on the infotainment screen. On the first attempt it displayed 'loading settings' for a couple of minutes before failing to load. It worked on the second attempt, though. I then set the primary user using the two key method.

However, the biggest inconvenience is that all the user settings have been lost - including radio presets, satnav favourites and vehicle settings.

ANYONE WHO IS TAKING THEIR CAR TO THE DEALER FOR THE 91CU SOFTWARE UPDATE IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO MAKE A NOTE OF THEIR PREFERENCES BEFOREHAND.

if it's any help, here is my list of the type of settings to be recorded and subsequently re-entered:
Assist Menu
- Front Assist Active
- All others 'On'
Adaptive Cruise Control
- Speed Warning - On/Off
Vehicle Menu
Re-pair Mobile Phones
S-PIN - on/off

I haven't had time to check the improved responsiveness of the screen or the abrupt gearbox downshifts that have been reported by some other forum members, but I'll post some driving impressions in the next couple of days.

Hi, please let us know as soon as you know how the gearbox behaves, because it is making me mad! It is so annoying, and definitely wasn’t there before the update. At least not as heavy as it now is. It was a little shaky before, but I could live with it. As of now, the car is shaky as hell when braking from 50kph to 0. It is always one shake, at the same time, I believe while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

TheDutchieGolf8

I had my Golf for a few days after the update. What I noticed so far...

Wireless AA for perfectly. With that, I thought it was a good time to use the wireless charging pad, but it's not a good idea. The phone overheats and stops charging. Totally useless.
I don't really see any improvements to the smoothness of the UI. Still kinda janky.

What I did really notice it's the jankyness of breaking. At high speed, breaking it's smooth, but at low speed (like smoothly stopping at a red light) it is not at all. I feel like sometimes the issue is when it changes gears it acts as a manual when you depress the clutch pedal too quick and the car stutters. Sometimes I press the brake pedal to a point and maintain it there but the deceleration is not smooth, as if I would depress the brake pedal. One time I was slowly stopping and I felt like the car stopped to decelerate so I pressed the brake pedal harder but then the deceleration kicked in again plus the extra breaking which made a really bing stutter. I will have to take it back to the shop and see what is going on.
Sorry, I can't really explain it well in English as it is not my main language.
Precisely my issue! You describe it pretty good. Do you already have it solved? Was the issue before the 1896 update, or after, or both?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, please let us know as soon as you know how the gearbox behaves, because it is making me mad! It is so annoying, and definitely wasn’t there before the update. At least not as heavy as it now is. It was a little shaky before, but I could live with it. As of now, the car is shaky as hell when braking from 50kph to 0. It is always one shake, at the same time, I believe while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Downshifting under braking continues to be smooth for me, even after the update.

The only anomaly (before and after the update) is that when braking to a standstill there is sometimes a noticeable reduction in braking effect below around 5mph. I think this is the regenerative braking cutting out as the car comes to a standstill. It’s noticeable, but I wouldn’t say it was jerky, so I doubt it’s the same as your problem.

TheDutchieGolf8

Downshifting under braking continues to be smooth for me, even after the update.

The only anomaly (before and after the update) is that when braking to a standstill there is sometimes a noticeable reduction in braking effect below around 5mph. I think this is the regenerative braking cutting out as the car comes to a standstill. It’s noticeable, but I wouldn’t say it was jerky, so I doubt it’s the same as your problem.
Okay. Yes, I had your “problem” before the 1896 update too. After the update (which for another forum member was 1804) the issue got 10 times worse. Which golf 8 do you own? The mild hybrid /eTSI or the GTE? Although I‘m not sure if the GTE works the same way as the mild hybrid...

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Okay. Yes, I had your “problem” before the 1896 update too. After the update (which for another forum member was 1804) the issue got 10 times worse. Which golf 8 do you own? The mild hybrid /eTSI or the GTE? Although I‘m not sure if the GTE works the same way as the mild hybrid...
1.5 eTSI mild hybrid

TheDutchieGolf8

1.5 eTSI mild hybrid
Thanks. This means that the dealer / importgroup which states that “it is normal behaviour” are incorrect. Because if so, then you would expect that every car has the issue. They just don’t want to admit, or have to deal with the hassle it brings to sort it out and solve it.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Precisely my issue! You describe it pretty good. Do you already have it solved? Was the issue before the 1896 update, or after, or both?
I think I noticed it before the update to, but it was not so bad. The update definitely amplified it and made it worse.

My Golf is an eTSI mild hybrid 150HP.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie

Here's the System Information BEFORE: View attachment 259014
View attachment 259015

And AFTER:
View attachment 259016

View attachment 259017

Assist Menu
- Front Assist Active
- All others 'On'
- In Assist settings (top left of Assist screen) set Eco Assist on/off
Adaptive Cruise Control
- Speed Warning - On/Off
Vehicle Menu
Re-pair Mobile Phones
S-PIN - on/off

Having driven around 60 miles today, here are the differences and changes I’ve noticed after the 91CU and 90S8 updates:

- Some improvement in screen responsiveness, most noticeable in shorter time for navigation to boot up
- Reversing camera image stable - no fuzziness, noise or flickering as previous. The image also deploys more elegantly
- Reversing Camera wide angle view stays on until toggled - previously reverted to normal view after a second or so
- Android Auto works wirelessly and its route directions appear on Head Up Display
- System Information screen has a ‘Show all Updates’ button instead of the (non-functional) ‘Update Software’ and ‘Online Download’ buttons
- Qi symbol on infotainment screen when phone is charging
- There is now a click when touching the off button of the infotainment screen to mute radio / media sound

Unlike the reports from other forum members after their updates, I don’t have any jerkiness when downshifting under braking and Satnav is showing correct position.

TheDutchieGolf8

Maybe it can be an idea that some of us who have the problem with downshifting and some who don’t can check e.g. what the code of the transmission is.
I’m not sure if the issues do also exist on other types of mk8’s, but it seems that it only relates to the 1.5 eTSI with DSG.
If some of us who do have this issue with GTE’s or GTI’s or other models, please let us know.

I will check if I can find a numerous code of the transmission somewhere.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
hi @TheDutchieGolf8 I have a GTI Clubsport on 1896 and I do not experience any issues during downshifts. Was first on 1803, then 1890 and now on 1896

Last edited: