GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Sythaera

I saw something about a 1898 update a while back.. Has anyone heard anything about this update? Suppose it will come OTA as 1896.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I have seen a couple of new My23 cars with 1898 software on them. But nothing in regards to OTA yet.
An Italian Golf 8 owner found this Oil Level Popup on the AID display when he opened the hood and switched the ignition on without starting the engine. It seems it will not appear if the car has only been driven.
Tried it on my eHybrid but it does not work.
IMG_4626.jpg

Reactions: tos

Antsyy

No, long story short, I spoke to the dealership which sent a message to the Dutch VW company (PON) and represents VW for The Netherlands. They replied that this is normal behaviour and that the cause lies in the mild hybrid charging system.
I told my dealership that this behaviour wasn’t there before the update, which means it is created because of the update.
The dealership agrees with me, and they tell me that I have to make a complaint to PON and let them handle the issue.
I find this should be solved under warranty (4 years) and I will not be satisfied until the problem is solved.
Yesterday I contacted the dealer where I bought the car new (which is not the same dealer which applied the update), as they helped me always the best they could, I explained the issue, and they will contact me before the weekend, which should be tomorrow at the latest.

This is the thread where I posted the same story:
https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/brakes-feeling-odd.399895/#post-7864902

Hi

I just spoke with volkswagen Finland and they contacted factory. They said that factory knows that, after 1896 update there is problem with gearbox when you brake. They dont have solution yet, but they are looking in to it!

tos

Go Kart Newbie
No, I don´t have access to obd11 now, I will ask some guys around to check, anyway, the car is still in warranty so I will go to dealer to fix it. I have the car back for one month (spent 2 weeks for ecu change and soft install) but the SOS call issue started yesterday + navi map disaster connected when SOS issue occured. According navi I should be around 150km far away from the current location. And what annoys me is when I drive on a highway and the car is "following" the road according navi maps and the car starts decelerate because it thinks there is some round about in front of me.
My car started SOS issue at week ago.
I visited vw service today = antenna is broken, they will order new one.
I have to wait 6 weeks.

Sos issue comes because antenna is broken.

My car is now 15 months and 23000km old.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
My car started SOS issue at week ago.
I visited vw service today = antenna is broken, they will order new one.
I have to wait 6 weeks.

Sos issue comes because antenna is broken.

My car is now 15 months and 23000km old.
Does it says that SOS function in not available or that it's limited and to contact service?

I believe my issue is because of the infotainment crashing (and not booting up) but I don't know what the cause is.

Also I do remember that before the infotainment started to crash, GPS navigation was funky, it though sometimes I was tanking a highway exit and started to recalculate route, then it would see that I'm still on the highway and it would recalculate route again. Then it started crashing, and the SOS function it's the first error that pops up.

Something might be related with all this issues.

My Golf is an 2020 eTSI 150HP with the latest software (1896?).

feds85

Update:
SOS / Emergency call issue / Navigation issue - I was on vacation last week and the car stayed one week on the hotel parking. I drove 900 km with all that issue and weird car driving behaviour due to the navi issue (the car slowing down on a highway - thinking that there is a turn in front of me...

I started the car after one week - no issue with sos/emergency and navigation. And now it is working for several days in a row.

Gear box braking issue - no change - still bad!

Waiting for dealer service check at 19th Sept.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
My car often makes a creaking noise when reversing and coming off the auto hold? Is this normal.
Thanks.

TheDutchieGolf8

Hi

I just spoke with volkswagen Finland and they contacted factory. They said that factory knows that, after 1896 update there is problem with gearbox when you brake. They dont have solution yet, but they are looking in to it!
Today I went to the dealer where I ordered the car, and they were very willing to help me on this issue. They told me that they are going to reset the gearbox management module (or so) and from there on they are going to decide what to do next. Because they are extremely busy they only have time to take the care in for maintenance in November. I will deliver the car on Monday the 7th.
I will let you guys know what will be the outcome. Maybe in the meantime VW will have figured out a way to fix this through a software update, as stated by @s3bax. I will ask the dealer when I bring the car what they say about it, as it is still 8-9 weeks in the future. The person I spoke to, which is an extremely helpful guy, said that he thinks it isn’t very likely to be a software issue. Because the big update 90S8 (and the other) don’t seem to have to do anything with updating the gearbox. Still, he says anything is possible... keep you guys posted.

TheDutchieGolf8

Update:
SOS / Emergency call issue / Navigation issue - I was on vacation last week and the car stayed one week on the hotel parking. I drove 900 km with all that issue and weird car driving behaviour due to the navi issue (the car slowing down on a highway - thinking that there is a turn in front of me...

I started the car after one week - no issue with sos/emergency and navigation. And now it is working for several days in a row.

Gear box braking issue - no change - still bad!

Waiting for dealer service check at 19th Sept.
Please keep us posted!

TheDutchieGolf8

My car often makes a creaking noise when reversing and coming off the auto hold? Is this normal.
Thanks.
Creaking noise? Very loud? I don’t seem to have that issue... I very aware of any noise in the car that seems suspicious, but this sound that you mention, haven’t heard it. Will check though...

JonG

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
First ever post. I'm UK based and took my Golf 8 2020 Style in to investigate an airbag warning light recently. While it was there the dealers decided to do a 91CU software update. It failed to update and has been in the garage ever since, coming up to 2 weeks. They told me that they'd tried to update 6 cars of which 2 including mine broke. Apparently the issue was escalated to ODIS(?) and then escalated further to the factory. I've been told there may not be any movements "for weeks". If you have a golf 8 that has been recommended for a 91CU update I'd recommend holding off until VW actually appear to test their software properly otherwise it's likely you'll be playing vehicular russian roulette.

Any update on how long it took to resolve the software update please ?

I'm currently suffering the same on 91CU update on my 2020 Golf R-Line 1.5 eTSI. It's been three days so far and no progress yet, just issues.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks.

That might be normal depending on the circumstances. The auto hold is supposed, well, to hold your car, mostly, coming off a hill. It will hold your car unit the car has enough power to go forward, or backward in your case, without rolling in the opposite direction. That might cause a squeaking noise before releasing or when it releases. It shouldn´t be an issue if it´s a noise caused by the Auto Hold and not by reversing. Try deactivating it and see if it still happens.

CH47AV8R

That might be normal depending on the circumstances. The auto hold is supposed, well, to hold your car, mostly, coming off a hill. It will hold your car unit the car has enough power to go forward, or backward in your case, without rolling in the opposite direction. That might cause a squeaking noise before releasing or when it releases. It shouldn´t be an issue if it´s a noise caused by the Auto Hold and not by reversing. Try deactivating it and see if it still happens.
Auto-hold: selectable via button/switch. Brakes remain engaged with the brake lights on after coming to a complete stop and taking foot off the pedal. Disengaged as soon as the accelerator is pressed.

Hill-hold: Not selectable via button/switch. Brakes remain engaged for 2-3 seconds when stopped completely on a large enough incline AFTER you remove your foot from the pedal. The brake lights turn off as soon as the pedal is released (assuming auto-hold is not active). The hill-hold delay was VCDS/OBD11 adjustable on previous versions. On manual cars the braking force can be sufficient that the car stalls prior to the brakes disengaging if one does not time the acceleration correctly.