GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Also looking at the 91CU document the OCU control unit needs to have at least software 0067 for the Gte/eHybrid and 0075 for the rest or the service cannot be done…

Manicmillions

My golf (June 2020) was on 1668, I wasn't in a great rush so just waited all year until yesterday's service, but was told they'd only do 90s8. Annoying!
But then got a call asking they'd like to keep it overnight to do another update, so they did, and it was 91cu. Now I have 1899. South west England. Must have just taken it in at the right time!
All my settings have reset and none of the connected services work (navigation says to go to the shop), I'm hoping once I log back in and take ownership it'll reactivate all that.
I don't know what 1896 felt like auto gear wise but it seems to change fine to me, maybe a little better than 1668.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So the 91CU is a service campaign /Recall for Golf 8 built before week 48 of 2020 where numerous control units get software updates.
The problem with some of these Golf 8 not been recalled is because the control unit “Gateway”, which is behind the steering column, is not compatible with the software update. This gateway has the hardware number 5WA907530B (See photo).
9B287EDC-361C-4B4B-9957-F48FCC66D915.jpeg

Manicmillions

Well, after a factory reset and making myself the primary user again, navigation and app connect still refuse to do anything, just saying they need to be enabled in the shop. Which doesn't make any sense as they're not premium features. And the shop doesn't have anything in it anyway apart from the usual trials and confirmation my we connect plus sub is still active.
1899 update off to a good start...!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
So the 91CU is a service campaign /Recall for Golf 8 built before week 48 of 2020 where numerous control units get software updates.
The problem with some of these Golf 8 not been recalled is because the control unit “Gateway”, which is behind the steering column, is not compatible with the software update. This gateway has the hardware number 5WA907530B (See photo).
View attachment 266771
I think my October 2020 (first batch of GTEs in the UK) might have had the 91CU service campaign. It’s been back to the dealer at least 6 times for various software type issues including a major one that took several days. Apart from the dash display showing the speed limit of 30mph in minor 60mph roads things are tickety-boo (at the moment 🙄).

m3iss3li

Have anyone been able to get rid of the jerky downshift with OTA / Field updates or any other fixes that would have been carried out (gearbox reset etc.)? I'm on 1896 still and having this issue.

Reactions: tos

Manicmillions

I haven't noticed any downshift problems with 1899 for what it's worth.

Unfortunately I have found plenty of other issues, along with the broken navigation and app connect menu options, it seems most assist options are missing from the interface, and all the camera related stuff like lane assist, road sign recognition and ACC is gone.
I contacted VW we connect support people and they have replied saying it is an "outage issue on their side" ? I find that hard to believe with the sheer scale of missing stuff and the fact nobody else is complaining! So I'm going to take it back to the garage next week anyway, unless it does all come back of course.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
I drove today my car for 30min and so for no OTA update. Maybe it will pop up on the way back home.

Manicmillions

I got it back with the promise that everything was fixed, and most things were, but navigation is now stuck at 'please wait', and road signs are being interpreted as kph. So going to have to send it back again. What a mess. This will be my last Golf I think.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Since the Mk8 Golf has been on the market since the autumn of 2019 one would have thought all software issues would be familiar to VW dealers and they should know how to sort them.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
My car is booked in for an entertainment console software update (dunno which) in early Jan '23, they phoned me up to ask if I'd done it myself (no), I did notice it randomly switch itself off the odd time tho. I'm letting the dealer perform it as I'll be in the area on that day anyhoo and, yes I'm not overconfident at not making a mess of it and freezing the entertainment console....

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Well if there were supposed to be an OTA update, I haven't received any. When I will have time, I will check with service.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
At the moment there is still no TPI for updating the infotainment from 17xx or 18xx to 1899 in the workshop.
If you have the 91CU recall (those on 16xx) to be done then 1899 will be installed while if you have the OUF1 service campaign then 1899 will be installed OTA.
It is possible that 1899 will arrive OTA on 18xx…