GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment niggles with discovery media pro

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my Golf Style with the Pro Infotainment system for 2 weeks now and mainly I'm very pleased with it. However I do have a few niggles and am wondering whether I'm doing things incorrectly or whether the are software issues which will be fixed in due course. The manual is almost useless with very little detail.

1. I've created radio favourites but all the tiles are in a single line rather than wrapping round to fill the screen. The manual says I can drag the tiles and indeed I can do this to reorder the tiles in-line but dragging them down to a new line doesn't work. So I have to scroll horizontally to access some tiles.
2. I can't get android auto to work wirelessly. I have the latest Samsung phone with all the software updates. I've even tried installing the Beta android but no luck. It works fine when USB connected.
3. My phone doesn't always connect automatically via Bluetooth although it sometimes does. Frequently I have to first select it from already paired phones. I haven't tested to see whether an incoming call might cause it to be connected.

Otherwise absolutely delighted with the car. Previously I had the Golf GTI 7.5 which I loved but the mild hybrid gives me far better fuel consumption and I didn't need all that power. The auto stop is so seemless with the mild hybrid.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So gathering info from a german youtube video it looks like the favorite screen area is split in 2, top line for radio favorites and bottom for media favorites.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Discover media (no PRO).
1. I have to read manual to create radio favourites, mostly I listen to podcasts.
2. Wireless carplay with Iphone XR works. Well, sometimes, connection runs automatically, sometimes I need to go through menu, to select phone&connect. I have no android, no experience.
3. I miss the ability to setup initial volume. Available for BT, no for wireless. Maybe in future.
4. Generally, UI is designed for young, healthy users. If you happen to be short-sighted, you will struggle as VW designers created very colorful, but small and contrast lacking display screens (RPM, speed), small icons (Carplay). Maybe too used for previous generations crisp classic B/W look.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, can you imagine older driver to browse through all the menus/settings?
I see Golf plus (or Sportsvan) to be quite popular for 60+ population.
I doubt, if MK8 will achieve same popularity.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Yes i found a lot of different information concerning wireless android auto. From what i gathered it will be available to the Golf 8 through an update in the near future ....... maybe ..

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
One of the other issues I've been encountering is that keyless access intermittently doesn't work. I took the car into my local dealership. They kept the car for a couple of days to carry out problem determination tests, and now VW in Germany has instructed them to replace the Control Unit. So the car is going back on Wednesday to have the Control Unit replaced and I'm hoping that as well as fixing the keyless access problem, it may also fix some of the other niggles.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
It seems to be a common problem even in France and Germany. I know of a few Golf owners that got it resolved with the workshop updating the software of the kessy unit and some other units also. So they know what the problem is and you should have it sorted.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, bad news. Replacing the controller didn’t fix the keyless access problem. They are arranging a courtesy car and want to keep my car for further problem determination. I now have visions of weeks without my car. But if it’s not the controller - and I assume they will have initially checked the sensors - what else could it be? If software surely it would be a common problem. I don’t feel at all confident that this will be easily fixed.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Was your problem only the kessy not working or had you other problems also?
So they just changed the kessy unit?
These units are interconnected with other units so i wonder if these also need to be upgraded.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I have the minor issues mentioned in my original post which I haven't yet raised with VW. I've sort of assumed that software updates would fix them but maybe I should have reported them. I'll have to see what happens next week.

At the moment I have a courtesy car which I think must be a demonstrator. It's a more basic golf style (manual). It was fine when I picked it up, but the next day the radio/media wouldn't work! Sounds like the problem mentioned on one of the other threads. Still haven't figured out how to get it working. Bit surprised that a VW owned car hasn't had its issues ironed out unless it's just me jinxing technology.