GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
I was going to pull the trigger on the Mabotech, but I dont want to trim my grill. If it was a dedicated track car sure, but not a lease daily driver. Plus heard shipping is crazy.
So either gti jake fmic, or the Twintercooler. Literally havnt heard anything negative from owners of the product.

Literally the reason I will be going with Forge over Mabotech. Stacking with stock IC, I'm not sure the extra size requiring trimming of my bumper will be beneficial to a point where it just has to be done.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I was going to pull the trigger on the Mabotech, but I dont want to trim my grill. If it was a dedicated track car sure, but not a lease daily driver. Plus heard shipping is crazy.
So either gti jake fmic, or the Twintercooler. Literally havnt heard anything negative from owners of the product.

I would skip the Twintercooler and go for a true FMIC, or a stock location replacement. Not a fan of tube-and-fin.

FWIW, I did not trim the grill and just forced it all together. It fits, but it is frustratingly tight. Frank is looking into shortening the mounting brackets as well per some fitment feedback, which would eliminate the need for trimming.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
My kit fits with zero bumper trimming, has clearance so it doesn’t contact the bumper either so no forcing anything together

I am 100% confident that your FMIC is going to be the best true FMIC on the market. The core is giant and is in the right spot :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Shaggz did some logging with my FMIC kit today, held 1-3* over ambient 1-5gear and peaked 22* over at a dead stop in traffic, then dropped immediately down to 1-3* above once over 4,400 rpm rolling again!

ashiun

Ready to race!
I'm getting the creeping feeling my CTS Stock location isn't going to perform well come summer time... I've only had it on since fall and it's been cold since.

Time will tell.

Hans

Ready to race!
Hey guys; first data log done today on my mostly stock system. The data doesn't look quite the same as the other graphs. Maybe its the sampling rate on VCDS, or the channels I selected, or of course, this is how the factory intercooler works. I am trying to get some baseline numbers and testing done to get familiar with logging, and in prep for S2 here in about a month.

The IATs seem to climb in step with RPM. I tried to do some 3 to 4 WOT pulls on the freeway in manual mode. Ambient is logged but was ~11*C/ 50*F.

2015 GTI Non PP
Uni S1+ ECU & TCU
DSG
Factory intake / intercooler / exhaust

https://datazap.me/u/hansnc/040818-first-run-540?log=0&data=0-6-9&solo=6&zoom=312-594

ashiun

Ready to race!
Hey guys; first data log done today on my mostly stock system. The data doesn't look quite the same as the other graphs. Maybe its the sampling rate on VCDS, or the channels I selected, or of course, this is how the factory intercooler works. I am trying to get some baseline numbers and testing done to get familiar with logging, and in prep for S2 here in about a month.

The IATs seem to climb in step with RPM. I tried to do some 3 to 4 WOT pulls on the freeway in manual mode. Ambient is logged but was ~11*C/ 50*F.

2015 GTI Non PP
Uni S1+ ECU & TCU
DSG
Factory intake / intercooler / exhaust

https://datazap.me/u/hansnc/040818-first-run-540?log=0&data=0-6-9&solo=6&zoom=312-594

Can't open your file. Is it on private?

ashiun

Ready to race!
Yeah that polling rate isn't too great lol

Hans

Ready to race!
Yeah I may have to play with it a little.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I may have to play with it a little.

VCDS can have some pretty slow data rates, but there are some things you might be able to do to speed it up. It may also depend on which cable you bought.

Try selecting the boost button if you haven't already.

Try logging fewer items as well.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.php#4.8

I would log IAT, Outside Air Temperature, Engine speed, and pedal position. If sample rate is high enough, you can try logging the speed of the car. This would just give people looking at your logs an idea of the amount of airflow going through the intercooler.

I don't have my logs with me right now, but with the stock intercooler, it wasn't uncommon for me to see 20*F higher than OAT while driving in the summer.

Hans

Ready to race!
VCDS can have some pretty slow data rates, but there are some things you might be able to do to speed it up. It may also depend on which cable you bought.

Try selecting the boost button if you haven't already.

Try logging fewer items as well.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.php#4.8

I would log IAT, Outside Air Temperature, Engine speed, and pedal position. If sample rate is high enough, you can try logging the speed of the car. This would just give people looking at your logs an idea of the amount of airflow going through the intercooler.

I don't have my logs with me right now, but with the stock intercooler, it wasn't uncommon for me to see 20*F higher than OAT while driving in the summer.
Yep; there is a 'turbo' button for VCDS; was not sure what it did but will try it next time, along with your other suggestions. I appreciate the feedback.

Wow. Yeah, Uni and IE are on the short list. I'm trying to convince myself I can wait for an IC upgrade, but the other half is like, 'nah, do it now'.