GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Internet Gurus

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What would it take to set up my own website to allow me to view my own surveillance cameras remotely from my cell phone? I may be old, but I've been using PC's since 1986 and wrote my own database programs back then. I can use a WIN10 laptop as a server, and I would be the only one using it. Is there OTS software?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You could just buy one of the current easy to use systems. Lots of features, including wireless cams, lots of motion sesitivity and area parameters as well as online storage. And you can see them all from your phone, some can also have pop-ups on your TV when someone. comes to door etc. I use an Arlo system. These systems have their own embedded server dedicated and secured for single purpose (hub) that all the cameras connect to and allows you access. They are more like an appliance, so easy to use.

I am old too, worked in the IT field for 20+ years at a major university. With these new video systems already made, feature rich, more secure than you can make and keep some open source web server secure this is the way to go. I have had my system for 2 years and I am very happy with its picture quality, ease of use, reliability and feature set. When you buy one you get a certain amount of storage which has proven adequate for me and there is no monthly charge.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You could just buy one of the current easy to use systems. Lots of features, including wireless cams, lots of motion sesitivity and area parameters as well as online storage. And you can see them all from your phone, some can also have pop-ups on your TV when someone. comes to door etc. I use an Arlo system. These systems have their own embedded server dedicated and secured for single purpose (hub) that all the cameras connect to and allows you access. They are more like an appliance, so easy to use.

I am old too, worked in the IT field for 20+ years at a major university. With these new video systems already made, feature rich, more secure than you can make and keep some open source web server secure this is the way to go. I have had my system for 2 years and I am very happy with its picture quality, ease of use, reliability and feature set. When you buy one you get a certain amount of storage which has proven adequate for me and there is no monthly charge.
Thanks, I'll look at Arlo.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
There is also Ring and others that provide an all on one solution. If your current system has a DVR, it may already have online capability but would require configuration on it and your router to set up traffic flow.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Are you an Apple (iOS) user?

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
What do you want to do? If you just want to have security cameras you can check remotely from a cell phone anytime you want, nearly any one will do that these days, no website required. I have some Wyze cameras along with their doorbell, since they're super cheap. We have one in the living room since we got a puppy a year ago, and wanted to be able to keep an eye on him. Through the app on my phone, can live view it any time I want. Same with the doorbell.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I have a smart house set up using apples homekit

YouTube will be your friend

but if u just want a simple way of monitoring your cameras, eufy does well!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I use Lorex NVR. App is pretty nice that you can setup multiple locations to view on 1 screen. They also have 2k cameras that are excellent.

Would recommend POE cameras so you just run 1 set of wires.

That being said, these systems are wired so maybe not the easiest to setup.