GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Internet Speed question

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
I'm looking into different ISP's for my new place. I'm trying to figure out what speed to get & how much bandwidth i need.

I plan on getting a more basic tv package, because i will be streaming more content on my tv (netflix / hulu etc). Basically, I would like to optimize my usage so i don't need to pay for speed i don't use.

Here are my options:

Download speeds Up to 50 Mbps Up to 15 Mbps Up to 10 Mbps
Upload speeds Up to 5 Mbps Up to 768 Kbps Up to 512 Kbps
Email accounts 30 25 10
Storage space 10 GB 5 GB 2 GB

All plans also include:

Road Runner Webmail: access your email away from home
24/7 Customer Service, including live chat and email support
Always-on, instant Internet access
FREE Anti-Virus, Anti-spam, Firewall, Parental Controls, Road Runner Safe Storage and more
FREE online games, Photoshow, Radio and Video

For what i'm using it for, (occasional torrent & just basic streaming) is the basic package satisfactory?

Also, whats the deal w/ direct TV internet? worth while?

Last edited:

utekineir

Banned
Just have whatever comcast Internet is here, shared between 2 units. Has no issues streaming Netflix hd. Long as you're only doing 1 hd stream at a time most things above dsl would probably be ok. Multiple streams is where bandwidth really gets eaten.

Around here atleast the direct tv Internet is a dsl bundle with Verizon. Could be different for you though. There are satalite Internet solutions but are expensive and only good for people in the boondocks with 0 other options.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
I feel like ISPs screw people. It says up to 50 mbps but they limit how much you really get.

As far as DirectTV internet, we have satellite internet at work & it blows. Very slow DL & UL speed & it goes down all the time. Granted, its not DirectTV internet but its still satellite.

I'd go with the middle package but you would be okay with the bottom line, as long as you know how much/if they are capping your bandwidth each month

Chris@RT

Banned
Also remember while you may not think upload matters, if you re torrenting you can suck up all that bandwidth.

If you max out your upload you can slow down your download or actually just get the internet to disconnect.

There isn't enough buffer for me on either of the lower too packages and if you try to stream a movie while you torrent someting you will probably have some major issues.

Kind of shoked they have nothing between 15 and 50, and 5 up on a 50 down package is pretty lame, but then again I don't konw the price 50 down for me would be 100 a month.

Chris@RT

Banned
I feel like ISPs screw people. It says up to 50 mbps but they limit how much you really get.

They actually just did a study and it is much better than one would think.

Both Fios and comcast actually averaged higher than claimed, as well as a few others.

I pay for 22 down with a boost to 30 but I can see 50-60+ and I am able to maintain 28-30 for hours at a time.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
I see somewhere between 20-35 down ( depending on time of day ) and about 2 up. Works well enough with hd streaming, torrents running ( bandwidth limited by me ) and usually one or two people playing multiplayer games online. I'd consider moving up to the next level which is around 50 for a bit more headroom as occasionally it'll still bog down. We have been without cable now for about 2 years and we use the connection for all our entertainment.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
I'd try to get FIOS if it's offered in your area.

512 up or even 768 is very limited, esp. if you are torrenting. too bad they don't have a 2m upload package. probably, the 10/15/50 are $30/$40/$100 respectively. I'd suggest you try the 15/768 package first, to get a little more upload bandwidth for torrents. since you have wideband available in your area, you can try to get a docsis 3 modem (the one included with the 15m package is docsis 2, at least it was for me), and you might be able to get in the 30m+ range for no additional cost, but your upload will remain the same. if it doesn't work out, you still have the option to go to the 50/5 package, but, $100/mo is quite a bit, i'd try the 15/768 to see if you can live with it.

I have TWC 15/2 and pay $40/mo.

Chris@RT

Banned
At the very least if you see no overall speed increase with the docsis 3 modem over the 2 you should see more consistant speed.

That was the biggest advantage to me. I didn't have too much of a problem seeing my peak speeds however from 3pm to 10pm my speeds were horrible. Especially begining of the school year when everyone jumped on the back to school deals and were suddenly going crazy on the internets.

Once I bought a docsis 3 it would slow down but never as bad. Anyone curious why just google the standards for it.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Try out the 15/768k to see if it works ok for streaming if you are trying to save money. Myself, I have a 60/5 (no powerboost) package from Charter, and I can download at a solid 7.7MB/s (~61mbits) 24/7, and the internet still works fine for browsing without any noticable slowdown.

If you're going to torrent at all, you want the fastest package you can get..having crappy upload doesnt give you much headroom at all. With a 10/512k package, downloading a file will probably slow down browsing since the upload can't keep up with all the acknowledgement packets that its sending out for packets it already recieved, plus your internet browsing. The 10/512k package is a 20:1 ratio, and the 50/5 is a 10:1 ratio, so you have much more headroom with the 50/5 package. I hate that ISP's are so cheap with the upload speeds

Definately get a docsis3 modem, it will make your connection much more stable. Docsis3 allows multiple channels on downstream (and sometimes upstream), so everyone in the neighborhood isn't sharing a single channel (hence the slowdown at 3pm when the kids get home). With it splitting channels, its much more robust since it spreads everyone out and prevents the log jam effect of docsis2, and it also allows for much higher speeds. The 50/5 would require docsis3, and the 15/768 they could slip you a docsis2, but if you ever upgraded later, the docsis2 modem would cripple your speeds

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
^lmao, god that's terrible.. sorry to laugh, but goddamn, I'd pull my hair out with that connection

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion

45 a month.... urgh

Chris@RT

Banned
966ms ping!!!

my lord I think i can download an entire blu-ray movie before your ping test would be completed!

Is sat your only option?

I really wouldn't be able to handle that.

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Stupid Comcast and their bandwidth limits, ya 250gig is a lot but I might break that every now and again... "excessive use" F off lol

Chris@RT

Banned
Stupid Comcast and their bandwidth limits, ya 250gig is a lot but I might break that every now and again... "excessive use" F off lol

I've come close but never gone over, it does take an effort to think about it though and not go over.

I did 1.3-1.5 TB on charter one month :)