GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Internet Speed question

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
At the very least if you see no overall speed increase with the docsis 3 modem over the 2 you should see more consistant speed.

That was the biggest advantage to me. I didn't have too much of a problem seeing my peak speeds however from 3pm to 10pm my speeds were horrible. Especially begining of the school year when everyone jumped on the back to school deals and were suddenly going crazy on the internets.

Once I bought a docsis 3 it would slow down but never as bad. Anyone curious why just google the standards for it.

would it make any difference if I was not in an area that offered wideband? the highest offering where i am is 20/2.

Chris@RT

Banned
would it make any difference if I was not in an area that offered wideband? the highest offering where i am is 20/2.

No if the system is not updated it won't make a difference.

The updated down here a while ago so in my head I was just thinking it was normal everywhere.

If the node or whatever they call it with cable modems can't split your channels up then the docsis 3 wouldn't do anythin.

If the system is setup for it even at a slower tier you may see overall improvements in speed even if peak speeds don't go up. There is a chance your area is updated but since the whole system is not done yet they just haven't announced it

Are you leasing or own your modem? If you leased they probably wouldn't update you unless the system was for sure updated. But you can probably find a docsis 3 on sale for enough to make it worth not leasing and just buy one. I sold my docsis 2 for about half what I paid for the docsis 3. At this point its paid for itself vs leasing.

Chris@RT

Banned
If they went to 25/30 up they would most likely need ot be on docsis 3, I think 2 can technically do those speeds but since it can't channel bond it would be crappy.

go to 192.168.100.1 that is the default on many of the cable modems if it has a signals tab see if it shows a single or 4 channels. If it has one then it should be docsis 3.0 already.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Ugh, tried the signal tab, this is the message i get.

This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.

To exit this page, click on the "Back" button on your browser tool bar to return to the previous page or click on the "System" link above.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
966ms ping!!!

my lord I think i can download an entire blu-ray movie before your ping test would be completed!

Is sat your only option?

I really wouldn't be able to handle that.

They actually just payed ~15k to get cable out here :happyanim:

It should be in within the next two weeks, thank the lord.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
currently this is where i stand

I would like to keep the same speed (i'm reasonably happy with it). BTW this is fios, which is supposed to be so "quick". I was getting faster speeds w/ optonline.

I'll post in about 3 months when i'm done renovating my house and get my services installed. I'll talk to all the ISP's. I just hate the verizon billing. Every month its different.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
download only.
upload was minimal

My finance still has cable. i'll test hers for comparison.
this is all off recollection. I could be completely wrong.

edit: just remember, this is coming from the OP (the internet speed tard). lol.

Last edited:

Chris@RT

Banned
They actually just payed ~15k to get cable out here :happyanim:

It should be in within the next two weeks, thank the lord.

seems like a worthwhile investment :)

was that like the community or one house? I had a friend in NJ he wasn't in the woods or anyting by far but the street was about 2 miles long one end was a busy highway with farms the other ended up at a canal and there were only 3 houses on the whole street. Cable companies just laughed and said if you want it pay for us to run the lines. Which sucked because then they would pay thousands of dollars and their neighbors could just get it for 59.99.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
I have had no problems with my Verizon Fios, this is via wireless router as well. Really my only two options in this area are Comcast or Verizon, and with Verizon I was able to bundle my internet/TV/phone together.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
seems like a worthwhile investment :)

was that like the community or one house? I had a friend in NJ he wasn't in the woods or anyting by far but the street was about 2 miles long one end was a busy highway with farms the other ended up at a canal and there were only 3 houses on the whole street. Cable companies just laughed and said if you want it pay for us to run the lines. Which sucked because then they would pay thousands of dollars and their neighbors could just get it for 59.99.

Nah, I work in the middle of a cornfield, the closest neighborhood is like 1.5 miles away & thats where they ran the cable from. They laughed at us when we asked for it too and said the same thing "yeah, we'll run it if you guys pay for it". He wasnt expecting us to say yes to that.

They just had three Mexicans on one of those cabling machines, it took two day to run it....