GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's Decided. 2.5 Turbo. Winter 2019

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
IMG_20191117_095917_489.jpg

The build has begun!
The front of the car is stripped and the manifold is off so far. it's going pretty slow as I only get a few hours a week to work on it. But so far it's been mostly smooth

gunn8731

Looking forward to the build. I have a 2009 MKV Rabbit that is probably nearing end of daily useful life at 136k mi and looking to have fun with the car while it lasts. Will probably do the IE manifold and Stg 2 tune, and then look to turbo a year after if it is still running. Did you go with the SPA manifold or other. Also what are you doing for down pipe.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I went with SPA. It was definitely the most reasonably priced without sacrificing quality.
I don't have a down pipe figured out just yet. Once I get the manifold on and see where the turbo is in reference to the flex pipe I'll work something up

Attachments

• 20191119_204114.jpg
    20191119_204114.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 186

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
20200221_233553.jpg

Nearly done now, just need to make a down pipe, and put the fuel pump in and wire it.

Just a quick question though if anyone can help me.

I'm putting a catch can on. The hoses coming from the engine are 5/8 but the biggest I can put on the intake are 1/4 or 3/8. Will this down size effect anything? Basically I'm going to run 5/8 in and 3/8 out of the catch can

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
View attachment 166214

Nearly done now, just need to make a down pipe, and put the fuel pump in and wire it.

Just a quick question though if anyone can help me.

I'm putting a catch can on. The hoses coming from the engine are 5/8 but the biggest I can put on the intake are 1/4 or 3/8. Will this down size effect anything? Basically I'm going to run 5/8 in and 3/8 out of the catch can

What fuel pump did you decided to use ? As for the breather and PCV hose, 1/4 is way too small. I'm not sure if going from 5/8 to 3/8 would affect the PCV system performance in a way you would notice, but it would be better to run 5/8". Running smaller hose reduce the maximum volume of flow and therefore it will build up pressure under high crankcase pressure and rpm since it's more restrictive than a 5/8" hose. In other words, running 3/8" will reduce the PCV effectiveness, VW designed the PCV system with 5/8" hose for a NA application, on a turbo setup I would run 5/8" and nothing smaller

I vent to atmosphere using an10(5/8), IE sells an adapter for the breather and as for the PCV hose, the valve cover have a an10

Don't forget to put a check valve on your vacuum line going off from your throttle body

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
What fuel pump did you decided to use ? As for the breather and PCV hose, 1/4 is way too small. I'm not sure if going from 5/8 to 3/8 would affect the PCV system performance in a way you would notice, but it would be better to run 5/8". Running smaller hose reduce the maximum volume of flow and therefore it will build up pressure under high crankcase pressure and rpm since it's more restrictive than a 5/8" hose. In other words, running 3/8" will reduce the PCV effectiveness, VW designed the PCV system with 5/8" hose for a NA application, on a turbo setup I would run 5/8" and nothing smaller

I vent to atmosphere using an10(5/8), IE sells an adapter for the breather and as for the PCV hose, the valve cover have a an10

Don't forget to put a check valve on your vacuum line going off from your throttle body

I went with a Walburo GSL932 inline.

Hmm Any ideas how to attach a 5/8 to an IE intake manifold?

I'm unfamiliar with venting a can to air.. Do you have pictures of your set up?? Still new to this whole thing haha can you send a link to the breather you're talking about?

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Okay just did some quick research, Now I know what you're talking about. I've seen them but never understood them.

If I'm correct basically it's like a PCV delete on a catch can. Pressure leaves the crank case but rather then going back into circulation it goes to atmosphere (Similar to a diverter valve vs blow off valve) and rather then gunking up a filter it gets caught in the catch can. Is this correct??

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Okay just did some quick research, Now I know what you're talking about. I've seen them but never understood them.

If I'm correct basically it's like a PCV delete on a catch can. Pressure leaves the crank case but rather then going back into circulation it goes to atmosphere (Similar to a diverter valve vs blow off valve) and rather then gunking up a filter it gets caught in the catch can. Is this correct??

The adapter : https://performancebyie.com/products/ie-breather-adapter-vw-audi-20t-fsi-25l-5cyl

Not a PCV delete, but yeah instead of depressurizing into the intake manifold it goes in the catch can

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Awesome, so do I just run a hose to the inlet and block off the outlet in my catch can?? Or run a hose to expel any extra gases?

Also, did you run your SAI into your intake or delete it?

If you have a filter on your catch can, you can block the "outlet" otherwise you will have to put a filter on the outlet

As for the breather hose, I would put a filter on it. You could plug it to the intake piping but you would need something to prevent boost going in the breather

I don't have a SAI on my engine :(

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The adapter : https://performancebyie.com/products/ie-breather-adapter-vw-audi-20t-fsi-25l-5cyl

Not a PCV delete, but yeah instead of depressurizing into the intake manifold it goes in the catch can

IE runs their setups back to the air intake. A much cleaner way of doing it. Venting to atm is messy. You'll get a fair amount of oil mist in the engine bay even with a filter on the can. The filter gets saturated pretty fast and blows oil everywhere. Do not go smaller than 5/8" hose on the PCV. In your case even rounting to the air intake vacume will be low and the PCV will always be in the open position. Too small a hose and you risk blowing seals. Too big a hose and you will pull oil from the valve cover.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
IE runs their setups back to the air intake. A much cleaner way of doing it. Venting to atm is messy. You'll get a fair amount of oil mist in the engine bay even with a filter on the can. The filter gets saturated pretty fast and blows oil everywhere. Do not go smaller than 5/8" hose on the PCV. In your case even rounting to the air intake vacume will be low and the PCV will always be in the open position. Too small a hose and you risk blowing seals. Too big a hose and you will pull oil from the valve cover.

I guess I can run the return to the piping just before the intake as the biggest port on IE's intake is 1/4. Would I still need a breather on the can if it's a closed system just incase theres a pressure build up?

My car is Canadian and has an SRI system. I'm near positive it does at least, isnt that where the hose before the intake goes???

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
If you have a filter on your catch can, you can block the "outlet" otherwise you will have to put a filter on the outlet

As for the breather hose, I would put a filter on it. You could plug it to the intake piping but you would need something to prevent boost going in the breather

I don't have a SAI on my engine :(

Hold on now, just to be clear the catch can attaches to the breather hose then either to atmosphere or the intake?

I think I just misread your post haha