GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 tune or APR STAGE 1 tune .. Opinions appreciated

Russooo

Ready to race!
So I'm going to be purchasing my 2017 golf R next month and I just want some feedback of what people thought about each of these tunes if you have one of them , money really isn't a issue for me just want the better product for the money your paying.. I understand JB1 is under about $400 and the stage 1 APR tune is $799 or so ... So my question is the apr tune that much better ? And with either of these tunes do they both void manufacturing warranty ?

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
Every "flash" tune Im aware of sets something called the "TD" counter. As delivered OE its "TD0", the second you flash it, it goes to "TD1". Reversing the tune will not reverse the TD counter, so do it once and your done. TD1 = warranty gone for virtually anything, YMMV.

Signal interrupt devices like the JB1/JB4, Dinantronics etc, will not set the TD counter as they do not program the ECU, but only interpolate signals going to it from sensors on the engine. By all accounts, the JB device has stellar support and loads of folks using it with happy results.

Flashing the ECU allows the file author to manipulate virtually every operating circumstance (top speed governor as an example), while the interrupt devices have to way of allowing that as they typically only modify sensor signals back to the ECU.

You will have to remove the signal interrupt device from your car before going to the dealer, but this is typically quite simple.

Russooo

Ready to race!
So basically you're saying I'm better off going with the JB1/Jb4 because if I'm spending 40k plus on a brand new car who wants to void the warranty right from the start ! But I should also mention I am Treating this purchase kind of as a Lease looking to resell it 2 years from with around 20 thousands miles on it hoping to get around 33-35k for it than and either get an upgrade to the new rs3 or maybe another golf depending how much I like this one since it will be my first

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
JB4 if you care about your warranty. It's also easily removable and not discoverable and you can sell it when you're done. Flash tune if you are okay with potential warranty coverage issues. Had both and was happy with both. JB4 now and it's awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the JB4 which I upgraded from JB1. It is as close as you get to the APR stg1 all while avoiding being flagged for touching the ecu.
The difference is the fact that once you upgrade to the next MK9 or 10, you can sell while with apr you are stuck.

Best part about the JB4 is the support you have to from the best guy there is; George Smooth.

I do want to note that JB4 is so much more refined and smooth then the JB1. The R responds overall way better. And to top it off, Im on e85 mix.

Imo its the best bank for the buck.
Watch my Golf R here in action: Bro made the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jSfruXnWA

Cheers.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I have the JB4 which I upgraded from JB1. It is as close as you get to the APR stg1 all while avoiding being flagged for touching the ecu.
The difference is the fact that once you upgrade to the next MK9 or 10, you can sell while with apr you are stuck.

Best part about the JB4 is the support you have to from the best guy there is; George Smooth.

I do want to note that JB4 is so much more refined and smooth then the JB1. The R responds overall way better. And to top it off, Im on e85 mix.

Imo its the best bank for the buck.
Watch my Golf R here in action: Bro made the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jSfruXnWA

Cheers.

I love it too. Guys are getting around stage 2 power with bolt ons and map 6 custom settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
So basically you're saying I'm better off going with the JB1/Jb4 because if I'm spending 40k plus on a brand new car who wants to void the warranty right from the start ! But I should also mention I am Treating this purchase kind of as a Lease looking to resell it 2 years from with around 20 thousands miles on it hoping to get around 33-35k for it than and either get an upgrade to the new rs3 or maybe another golf depending how much I like this one since it will be my first

The R will hold their values well since they came to our shores, VW of VA moved about 8k of them for 15 and 16. And who knows how many of them went to Canada. So they are a rarity for sure. And so far they've been reliable for what others are saying included those that upgraded to stage 3.

Russooo

Ready to race!
So looks like I'm going to try out the JB4 tune first see how it goes & if anything I can just resell the product and switch to APR tune if I'm truly not satisfied but sounds like it's pretty comparable , already put 300 miles on my car first day driving back from dealership in VA so mods going on soon ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 2,650

DrivingSolo

Passed Driver's Ed
There are of course a few downsides to modules. You have to constantly take them off and put back on for dealer visits. It may be only 30 minutes of work but it's not fun to do especially in the winter. Not to mention you are risking breaking clips etc. Also there is no DSG tune available. They are certainly good value but not without faults.

Mr Golf R

Ready to race!
Simply put...... APR voids your warranty and the JB, once removed,leaves no trace. However, having installed the APR Stage 1 on my 2017 R, I have no regrets.....due to the fact that:
1. After reading that the hundreds who have installed any APR product, have had no issues, and trust their product and their reputation. They have the best engineers and programmers and spend literally thousands of hours developing the best ECU upgrades possible.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
I had both ... JB1 and then APR Stage 1 and 2.

JB1 is like APR Stage 0.5 in it base form, when you start chaning settings, you get get it to be APR Stage 1.5 equivalent.

JB4 I haven't tried and that seems to be the cats meow for $430 shipped. You can try it and then sell it for $400 easy ...

GL.

Russooo

Ready to race!
I had both ... JB1 and then APR Stage 1 and 2.

JB1 is like APR Stage 0.5 in it base form, when you start chaning settings, you get get it to be APR Stage 1.5 equivalent.

JB4 I haven't tried and that seems to be the cats meow for $430 shipped. You can try it and then sell it for $400 easy ...

GL.

Thanks for input , that's my plan thinking about trying JB4 and seeing how it goes and if all doesn't work out atleast I'm able to sell like you said and get the APR tune

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
One think to point out, JB4 is like a Stage 1 tune out of the box and its much smoother per people's feedback. No TD1, simple install and excellent return on investment.

Russooo

Ready to race!
So basically what your saying is for half the price of Apr stage 1 tune & not having to void the manufacturing warranty on your new car , the JB4 is a no Brainer & is the way to go ..

What other mods compliment the tune well ? I was thinking of getting intake , and possibly down pipe ..

Any brands you recommend for either of those ?

RichardToronto

Having researched both, this is what I can gather:

JB4 definitely adds power, however it does so in a way that isn't completely as close to stock as APR does.

With the stage 1 from APR, you're really paying for the painstaking engineering that went into the tune. It mimics the stock curve perfectly, and simply provides... more. :)

In my experience, APR will drive like "stock+", whereas JB4 will drive slightly less refined than the APR tune.

You're probably not risking too much picking up the JB4 and reselling it if need be.

I prefer the APR all day... but that's just me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk