GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just switched to Map 6.

I want to see how much E I can put in. What values should I be looking at? Trims? Otherwise do these logs look ok?

I do have a CEL too since the downpipe install, 3A44. Anyone know what that could be? If not I'll just have to pop over to Autozone and have them scan it but I'm hoping its just the rear o2. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pull from 3-5.
https://datazap.me/u/millatyme/log-1598844933?log=0&data=1-4-11-19

Pull 3-4.
https://datazap.me/u/millatyme/log-1598844933?log=1&data=1-4

I think you mean code P0344.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...nsor-circuit-intermittent-by-valerie-johnston

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Just switched to Map 6.

I want to see how much E I can put in. What values should I be looking at? Trims? Otherwise do these logs look ok?

I do have a CEL too since the downpipe install, 3A44. Anyone know what that could be? If not I'll just have to pop over to Autozone and have them scan it but I'm hoping its just the rear o2. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pull from 3-5.
https://datazap.me/u/millatyme/log-1598844933?log=0&data=1-4-11-19

Pull 3-4.
https://datazap.me/u/millatyme/log-1598844933?log=1&data=1-4
I would turn it down a little, first log looks like some knock around 5k and corrections on cycl2

second log
timing looks ok but still corrections on some cyclinders

MillaTyme

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I would turn it down a little, first log looks like some knock around 5k and corrections on cycl2

second log
timing looks ok but still corrections on some cyclinders

Oh jeez, thank you! I'm still learning this stuff but ign2 should be for cycl 1 right? I am guessing I want ign2/3/4/5 all at 0 so its not pulling timing. Is the knock because of the lower octane rating? 91 with a little E in there, I wonder if adding more E would solve that or octane booster perhaps?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Oh jeez, thank you! I'm still learning this stuff but ign2 should be for cycl 1 right? I am guessing I want ign2/3/4/5 all at 0 so its not pulling timing. Is the knock because of the lower octane rating? 91 with a little E in there, I wonder if adding more E would solve that or octane booster perhaps?
so ign_1 is your timing curve, if it droped at any point thats bad, you want some what smooth curve starting at 0 around 4800 to 10ish at the end 6500rpm. some cars only go to like 8 some 6-7 but 10 ish is around the max and car is pushing it at that point for jb4. if the ign_1 value drops like your first log around 5000rpm it was at 5 then went to 2, thats a knock. sometimes the line is a little choppy and drops .5 (not great but not terrible) but when it drops 3 like that its bad i.e knocking.

you view ign2,3,4,5 these are directly related to cyclinders 1,2,3,4 and they should all be 0 otherwise corrections are being made to overcome whatever i.e. it knocked so its trying to fix that.

I would say try this map and relog 3rd gear to 4th if MT or just do a 3rd gear pull if auto trans. And yes fueling is everything on these cars, if you can do 93 do 93 and add 2-3 gallons of E. 91 and 2-3 gallons of E is really like 93.

1500 2
2000 3
2500 4
3000 4.5
3500 5
4000 5
4500 6
5000 7
5500 7
6000 7
6500 6.5
7000 6.0

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

How much E85 did you add? Intercooler? Its pulling a bit of timing because its getting a bit hot and is fighting it. Octane is a small part of the equation, start with good gas. No Chevron and no ACN (looks like you're in CO though). Add some E85, about 2-3 gallons per tank, then re-log. I'm gonna go with bk here and say turn it down slightly or stay with Map 2, until you can do more E or IC if ya don't have one. Too much boost in the heat can pull timing and limit advance. Elevation has an influence too.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
How much E85 did you add? Intercooler? Its pulling a bit of timing because its getting a bit hot and is fighting it. Octane is a small part of the equation, start with good gas. No Chevron and no ACN (looks like you're in CO though). Add some E85, about 2-3 gallons per tank, then re-log. I'm gonna go with bk here and say turn it down slightly or stay with Map 2, until you can do more E or IC if ya don't have one. Too much boost in the heat can pull timing and limit advance. Elevation has an influence too.

I should have said buy an IC but I really don't know, IAT's were not that high as my stocker was like 140 ish sometimes so 113 would make sense if its like 95 out (it is summer) for an upgraded

MillaTyme

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
mk7_bk I appreciate the mini lesson! I've been looking for tutorials on what to look for in these logs and how to read them but can't find much. I'll make those adjustments and get a log. I've been purposefully not making pulls in the heat since I know its not going to be good but those pulls were done around 73-75 ambient in the evening. No intercooler. I have a turbo blanket and turbo inlet on the way that MIGHT lower the IATs a couple degrees at least. Not sure what else I can do outside of intercooler or meth.

Shortyb I had about a gallon of E in there for a half tank. Unfortunately, literally no one sells 93 in the Denver area, super frustrating. So it's either race gas or 91. I'm worried if I add 3 gallos of E to a tank then I will have fueling issues.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
From my exp you’re ok with 2-3gallins of E. I’ve run out of fuel up top of 4th into 5th. Hot out though. You’re starting to cool down now

MillaTyme

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Thanks for the input Mechanic. What are you looking at to determine you've capped fueling on the log?

Also for those following along at home, 3A44 in the JB4 is the P0420 code, I just scanned it. So we're all groovy there :)

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Lol. The CEL I had pop up lol. We had to tune for higher gears on the WRX so I sorta expected it with the JB4.

Tank is just about empty of the crap 93 I put in for the ride home from W coast of FL. Will do a full pull log and post.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
You should be fine with 3g. of E and 91. Set the FOL to 60 and log a couple Map 2s then a couple Map 3s. Keep an eye on trims, corrections, AFR and advance. They will tell you when fuel headroom is thin. That and a CEL 😁.

I'm gonna bet that she will get dang hot though with no IC. I had a feeling there wasn't one looking at IAT at top of 4th gear cuz it was a blowing dang hot for an IS20 with an upgraded cooler. Get one.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
mk7_bk I appreciate the mini lesson! I've been looking for tutorials on what to look for in these logs and how to read them but can't find much. I'll make those adjustments and get a log. I've been purposefully not making pulls in the heat since I know its not going to be good but those pulls were done around 73-75 ambient in the evening. No intercooler. I have a turbo blanket and turbo inlet on the way that MIGHT lower the IATs a couple degrees at least. Not sure what else I can do outside of intercooler or meth.

Shortyb I had about a gallon of E in there for a half tank. Unfortunately, literally no one sells 93 in the Denver area, super frustrating. So it's either race gas or 91. I'm worried if I add 3 gallos of E to a tank then I will have fueling issues.
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269

still pretty spot on

MillaTyme

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
For the record shorty I have an R so it should be the IS38. Your point still stands tho, the air is too hot lol. My wife is not going to be happy with me now wanting to get an IC :).

I've been working with George who saw those same logs and also told me to turn down the boost. New map 6 will be :

FOL 45, autoshift redux 90.
1500 - 0
2000 - 2
2500 - 3
3000 - 3.5
3500 - 4
4000 - 5
4500 - 5.5
5000 - 5
5500 - 5.5
6000 - 4
6500 - 3
7000 - 2

Previously was:
4000 5
4500 6
5000 6
5500 6
6000 4

which is right where the knock was occurring. George told me to only turn down a couple spots but I decided to reduce it a bit more since I'd rather not break stuff haha. I will try to go fill up 3 gallons of E and 91 on Friday and go back to map 6 (on map 1 with 91oct in the tank now) and make some more logs.

Thanks a ton bk, that was some terrific reading and exactly what I was looking for. N54 has a few parameters that are different but the rest was perfect.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Yeah, missed that you have an R. Changes things a bit with maps and FOL, but like you said, is still getting hot. Well at least more E85 is cheaper than an IC. For now 😁.