GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JT64's Car Journey

m3dragon

Event guy
335 comes with the 8 speed ZF transmission or 6 speed manual in M trim models. Later M 335i came with the DCT in the sport package. RARE option. I know of one for sale in Rocklin at the moment in white.

Turbos do not blow all the time as speculated. The early BMW's had High Pressure Fuel pump issues which have been resolved.

I am giving my option for OP my 2 cents based on what he posted and having owned, driven and drive with owners of these cars and what first hand knowledge they have shared with me owning the listed cars.

Take the knowledge and do what you will. Just remember other costs such as insurance, cost for tires, oil changes, and upgrades if that is your thing.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Based on our PM's, I would Say 335 with the M package. Great on gas, cheaper on insurance, can run smaller tires which are cheaper, and warranty is newer for no cost basics. If you want to go crazy you can upgrade the car on the cheap to have as much or better performance then all of the cars listed. 7 speed DCT is the same as in the e9X m3.

Mercs eat rear tires and gas. Not a drivers car like the other ones listed.

E90 M3 is great but eats gas and 19's are expensive tires.

Audi is good but is HEAVY and you will feel it on spirited drives. AWD makes up for the weight but just have to adjust driving style.

EVO, no comment other than fit and finish is not as good as German. Probably better bang for the buck.

M3's come with 18" wheels/tires too.. agreed on mpg though.

The S4 doesn't feel as heavy as it is... I have experience there:

Stock car, felt pretty nice actually.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
335 comes with the 8 speed ZF transmission or 6 speed manual in M trim models. Later M 335i came with the DCT in the sport package. RARE option. I know of one for sale in Rocklin at the moment in white.

Turbos do not blow all the time as speculated. The early BMW's had High Pressure Fuel pump issues which have been resolved.

I am giving my option for OP my 2 cents based on what he posted and having owned, driven and drive with owners of these cars and what first hand knowledge they have shared with me owning the listed cars.

Take the knowledge and do what you will. Just remember other costs such as insurance, cost for tires, oil changes, and upgrades if that is your thing.

You're talking about the F30... ? I was talking about the E90

JT641

Banned
Op Updated; Please be sure to read it thoroughly before you respond as I've been as specific as possible So we don't have any arguments &/or mis-understandings.:thumbsup:

Let me try & clear things up, I've driven all of the cars on My list except for the EVO-X, So starting with the Audi B8 S4 here are my impressions; For The Record (I Drove an RS4 & an older V10 S6 at the same dealer before driving the S4). Liked the S4 a lot very understated looking on the out side which I like (won't get stopped by the cops much with it because of how it looks) Steering is very responsive (the one I drove had the Sport Diff, Adaptive Damping, & 19 inch wheels which mine will have if I get one) Definitely drove like a smaller car almost like my GTI in terms of steering input & response handled better than my GTI yet the ride was more comfortable (Suspension was set to the Sportiest setting), Brakes are very good & felt linear. the inside feels & looks top notch compared to the rest has the most available tech for the info-tainment (can be a WiFi hot spot for up to 4 devices which the other don't/didn't offer). BMW E90 M3 Love the sound of that engine, very good seats with adjustable bolsters, Steering Feels very direct & I feel connected with what the car was doing, "I drive" is very user friendly didn't have any problems with operating it was very intuitive, Like the fact I can get it without A Sunroof!!, Drove it with both a 6spd Manual & the 7spd DCT, the 6spd manual felt slow & kind of lazy where as with the 7spd DCT it felt very responsive yet it didn't have that low down off the line grunt/torque of the Audi. BMW F30 335i Sedan Just like the Audi very understated on the outside & very nice & upscale on the inside, Where it let me down was the seats you sit on them & not in them (my GTI has much better seats) the other thing is the steering felt slow & making a U-Turn requires a lot of room all of the others except for maybe the M3 & EVO which I haven't driven yet made very sharp & short U-Turns. It did handle very well in the sportiest setting & yet the ride was smooth, Info-Tainment Tech seems on par with the Audi & the I Drive functions just as well as it did on the M3 (No LSD Option) C63 AMG Felt very quick lots of Torque handled very well (drove it over the same back road as the M3) IMO as good as the M3, Has Great seats Steering is very direct & very responsive makes very sharp U-Turns, Where it lets me down is on the Tech of the InfoTainment system No Bluetooth Streaming Audio Feels somewhat dated inside compared to it's German Competitors. 2010/2011 E63 AMG this one has the new multi clutch Trans; Shifts with this trans in manual mode are very quick not quite as good as the M3's 7spd DCT but close, Was Very pleasantly surprised at how well it handled (drove in Sport+ mode) was able to make very Sharp U-Turns it in no way drove like a Big Car Drove very similar to the S4 in that Aspect, But on un-even pavement in Sport+ mode the ride is kinda of rough/bumpy. The rest is the same as the C63. EVO-X MR Will be testing it out within the next week so Stay Tuned.

Lets try & remember people all our opinions & experiences are different & my reasons for posting this thread are to get Opinions & Personal Experience input from those that have it, So Lets try & keep this Diplomatic As there is No Contest or Race Here. ;)

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
you can tune 335i, the n55/n54 proven to be a reliable engine, exception with fuel pumps on earlier years which are all fixed from '10 and up. heck my moms f10 535 is more reliable than my yaris :laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh wow.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion

8,500 rpm...No but seriously if you want a "race" car it's the only way to go (or possibly the RS5 but I haven't driven one yet) As far as true race car feel a high reving naturally aspirated engine rwd platform can not be beat and the M3 does it the best for a balance of that race car feel, comfort and amenities. The car is totally livable everyday driving and just so much fun on the track.

On the other hand if you really like the power curves of turbo/supercharged engines and the characteristics that go with that then you may like the S4 better. That is for you to decide.

C63 can be fun if you want a muscle car the only reason I don't suggest it is because you are looking for a used car and good fucking luck finding one with LSD. I looked for one after my M3 got wrecked and I could not find one anywhere and it totally kills the car without it. Also the <2012 MY have slush boxes which is also fuckin stupid and boring.

I wouldn't stray from either the E90 M3 or the B8 S4, esp since you can get the latter CPO'd.

You can get all of them CPO'd

I bought my 08 fully loaded coupe (only option it was missing was extended leather) in 2011 CPO'd w/30k on it for $45

JT641

Banned
Ok, First off there is no option for LSD for the Current F30 335i, Second all of the other cars on my list either has it as an option (Audi & Mercedes) or it comes with one standard (E90 M3). To get it an LSD on the Benz you have to option the AMG Performance Package & the Audi it's a single option. The EVO-X comes with at least one on it standard. 3rd This car is going to be primarily a daily driver (plan on taking at least one trip in it with my 92 year old father, Hopefully) & tearing it up on the back roads at least once a month, But I doubt I will track it I'll wait till I get a 2nd car & do it with that one. With the BMW M3 my main concern is reliability as I've read a number of consumer reviews about them being unreliable from throttle issues to transmission & Nav issues that there dealers couldn't resolve. GG as for the C63's Slush Box as you call it I would most likely go with the 2010-2011 E63 instead because of it's better transmission & roomier interior.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Your main issues with the m3 should be rod bearings, everything else is pretty safe. I don't think you'll need LSD unless you track.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Your main issues with the m3 should be rod bearings, everything else is pretty safe.

Correct

The S65 is actually one of the most reliable BMW motors. The rod bearing can be covered by BMW sometimes. Some people have had success get them to cover it

Last edited:

JT641

Banned
Your main issues with the m3 should be rod bearings, everything else is pretty safe. I don't think you'll need LSD unless you track.

I got one put on my GTI why wouldn't I want it on any of these other cars When I have first hand experience of the benefits of having an LSD. Regardless of what I get my next car will either come with an LSD or I'll get one installed in it.

JT641

Banned
Eliminated the C63, When compared to the E63 there respective resale prices are near enough makes no difference & I get better bang for my Buck with the E63 + slightly better gas mileage & Mercedes new Multi Clutch Auto Trans. I'll be testing out the EVO-X MR & the 335i again tomorrow so stay tuned.