GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JT64's Car Journey

JT641

Banned
The only thing keeping from choosing the Audi S4 are the seats, But in this case it has to do with the "Head Rests Not Being Adjustable" It's a fixed part of the seat (One thing I really like about my GTI are the Head Rests) For me the head rest comes up just a little past the top of my neck. Which for me isn't good since I've suffered whiplash in the past from accidents in vehicles that had bad head restraints/head rests Plus it's nice to be able to rest your head against a Comfortable Head Rest when you are on a Long Drive. Oddly enough the B7 RS4 has great head rests.

Check out this video of a comparison with the B7 RS4 & the Current B8 S4 and look at how low the head rest on the S4 is when Matt is in the Car.

JT641

Banned
Ok here are where things stand as of today, Going in order of which one ticks all or most of the boxes 1st on down. I've also reintroduced the BMW 335i (2012 & Up) as I took another look at it while at the BMW dealer looking at an E90 M3.
(Note that I have the S4 & the 335i Tied for 2nd)

1 2010-2011 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG
Cons: Gas MPG & Maybe it's overall size? Not sure it will fit in the Garage length wise??

2 Audi S4
Cons: The Seats (specifically the head rest?)

2 BMW 335i "2012 & Newer"
Cons: The Seats (specifically the seat bolsters & this is on the sport seats) No LSD Option.

3 BMW E90 M3 (2010-2011)
Cons: The Seats (specifically the seat bottom bolsters are right under my legs!!), Trunk space is marginal & the Gas MPG.

It looks like the deciding factors are going to be the seats & trunk space, As they all have everything else covered. The only car that has seats as good as my GTI (which has the leather seats from the Autobahn Package which has the bolsters perfectly sized & spaced for me) Is the E63.

Last edited:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
That e63 has got the 6.2 right? ( not the newer twin turbo?) If so, that is supposedly one of the greatest modern engines around in terms of what it gives your for power, throttle response, and noise. It really is in a different league than anything else you are looking at, both in size and (original) price. As long as you can foot the maintenance bill and you are ok with the 3 year old cabin tech, the e63 seems like the no-Brainer here.

I do love that supercharged v6 on the s4, and it can put out a lot of horsepower with just stage 2 pulley and tune, but nowhere close to the amg (518hp!). Plus the amg has more unicorn status, if you care about that stuff.

Tough decision though! Did you consider the cts-v sport with the twin-turbo v6? How about the Chevy ss? Chrysler 300 srt?

If ride quality/ease of entry is important, how about the sq5?

JT641

Banned
That e63 has got the 6.2 right? ( not the newer twin turbo?) If so, that is supposedly one of the greatest modern engines around in terms of what it gives your for power, throttle response, and noise. It really is in a different league than anything else you are looking at, both in size and (original) price. As long as you can foot the maintenance bill and you are ok with the 3 year old cabin tech, the e63 seems like the no-Brainer here.

I do love that supercharged v6 on the s4, and it can put out a lot of horsepower with just stage 2 pulley and tune, but nowhere close to the amg (518hp!). Plus the amg has more unicorn status, if you care about that stuff.

Tough decision though! Did you consider the cts-v sport with the twin-turbo v6? How about the Chevy ss? Chrysler 300 srt?

If ride quality/ease of entry is important, how about the sq5?

Yup it's the 6.2L

What's Unicorn Status??

Looked at those 3 Don't like the styling of the Caddy, The Chevy SS the Side bolsters on the back rest dig into my shoulder blades other than that it's a decent car, Don't like the interior of the SRT8 Charger nor the way the shifter functions.

Seems like most car manufacturers don't make cars with sport seats that fit Fit-Muscular People like me :D

JT641

Banned
Nice, by unicorn status I just mean there are much fewer e63's on the road than any other of your choices. I don't think I've ever even seen one up here, but I see s4's and m3's at least 5 times a week. Did they make that car with awd?

That's true haven't seen any E63's from 2010 & up, I've seen 2008 & older.

They started offering it with AWD in 2013? But for 2014 they made it standard on US cars (you can't get it with RWD in the USA).

JT641

Banned
The only real issue I may have with the E63 is fitting it in the Garage, If I go by the stats it will be a Very Tight Fit (length wise) So I'm going to go & measure one just to be sure.

JT641

Banned
Update;

The M3 Sedan is out. The standings as of now in order of preference.

1 Mercedes Benz E63

2 Audi S4

3 BMW 335i

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Gotta say, I don't even like Mercedes at all, but the E63 is pretty badass and seems to really fit what you're after.. I mean, an F30 335 really can't even compare. Have you considered waiting for the new M3? That thing looks pretty awesome.

JT641

Banned
I won't buy the first Gen of a car, Also I'm buying used or CPO not New, Plus I'm looking at getting a Porsche 911 in a year or 2 So I'm keeping what I spend on my next car to 50K Max
I was impressed with how the new F30 335i with the 8spd Auto performed when I test drove it again recently (the U-turn turning radius wasn't as bad as I 1st thought) & with it's tuning potential as well.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I won't buy the first Gen of a car, Also I'm buying used or CPO not New, Plus I'm looking at getting a Porsche 911 in a year or 2 So I'm keeping what I spend on my next car to 50K.
I was impressed with how the new F30 335i with the 8spd Auto performed when I test drove it again recently (the U-turn turning radius wasn't as bad as I 1st thought) & with it's tuning potential as well.

Fair enough. I've never actually driven any of these cars, they're a little out of my league financially right now :laugh: Just thought it was interesting since they sort of seem in a different league.

JT641

Banned
Fair enough. I've never actually driven any of these cars, they're a little out of my league financially right now :laugh: Just thought it was interesting since they sort of seem in a different league.

it's true they are in different categories Technically speaking, But they do fall under my spending cap. The F30 335i can be had for as low as 35K (without the M Sport Package) & nicely equipped for about 40K for one with about 25K Miles. You never test drives cars for fun :D

Last edited:

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Gotta say about the new 335. They look SEXY. Theres a guy in my complex whos friend has a pristine white one. I'm sure it has the M Sport package though. Its got the factory bodykit type look. Love the new halo look too. Very clean. Mucho mod potential too with that TT V6. Not cheap to modify though I'm sure.

JT641

Banned
Gotta say about the new 335. They look SEXY. Theres a guy in my complex whos friend has a pristine white one. I'm sure it has the M Sport package though. Its got the factory bodykit type look. Love the new halo look too. Very clean. Mucho mod potential too with that TT V6. Not cheap to modify though I'm sure.

Yup, I think it looks better than the E90:thumbsup: Mods wouldn't be that expensive except an LSD mod. BTW it's a strait 6 not a V6. The S4 would be cheaper to mod? since you can get it with an LSD from the factory. The E63 is the only car I wouldn't need to or do any mods to. But I'm starting to lean towards either the S4 or the 335i mainly because I'll save money on gas Which will make it easier to save up for a long vacation & my next car?(991 C4S or 991 GT3)