GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 to big turbo?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Anyone ever make this move? Or is it better to just got straight to Stage 3 BT?

The reason I ask is I am conflicted whether or not to use the K04 I have sitting in my living room or exchange it for BT kit.

I have spent many you tube hours watching videos of the amazing things that BT can do.

And it seems that it might be worth it.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I am a fellow youtube video viewer, even though I have a bone stock car. I have watched probably hours of K04 and BT vids, and now think I would not do K04 if I was going to go all out replacing my turbo and adding lots of parts. If you are going to spend the money on K04, you almost might as well go BT. As I said, I have no direct experience with anything :)

DarkCloak

Banned
I am a fellow youtube video viewer, even though I have a bone stock car. I have watched probably hours of K04 and BT vids, and now think I would not do K04 if I was going to go all out replacing my turbo and adding lots of parts. If you are going to spend the money on K04, you almost might as well go BT. As I said, I have no direct experience with anything :)

two sets questions?

1. How fast do want to go. Is a 12 s car fast enough or do you require the ability to smoke almost everyone.

2. How much can you afford and how much do you want to spend?

If you want to go to a big turbo kit I would not buy the K04 as it an expen
sive proposition in and of itself.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Another thing to consider is how much turbo lag will you have? Bigger is usually more lag and that could kill daily drivability.

For that matter I wonder how much lag the K04 has compared to stock.....

03boostedGTi

Ready to race!
if you went big turbo you should consider replacing rods pistons ect. not needed but its good to do. K04 you bolt up and play

so if you want a reliable daily that can whomp on an m3 this is your car turbo
if you have another car and have the money for BT. i personally went k04 the pros out weigh the cons.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Both stage 3 and k04 drive like they are a stock turbo...really awesome tunes for both help....I honestly don't notice a difference in spool between k03 and k04...an there is hardly a difference in lag between k04 and stage 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The biggest incentive for Stage 3 is more power. Theres a lot more head room, especially with the APR Kit. Basically from Stage 3 to 3+ you keep all the hardware and add in bigger turbo and injectors. Next step would be rods, pistons, etc. etc.

As I sat there with the Raffle Stage 3 kit in my room with all the components spread out, I wondered about the cost of this adventure. Sure, its 405BHP, but at what price? I was still looking for FMIC, Carbonio, Midpipe, etc. etc.BUT If I had the money I wouldve done stage 3 in a heartbeat!!

There are some days I regret it, but overall I'm glad I did it. Now I would never think about going from K04 to BT because of the amount of loss associated with it.

EDIT: Just saw you havent installed it. If you have the money DO IT!

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I already have the BB TBE and APR FMIC.

I got delayed twice getting my K04, once waiting for AWE to deliver and the other time my ECU fried.

The downtime gave me time to rethink my original K04 decision.

I really want something that will let me keep up with my buddy's 2011 5.0 Mustang. That thing is so powerful, if only it had 4 doors and a usable trunk. :)

My other BT decision is coming from my other friend's new Camaro V6 - 300 HP.

I just want to hang with that group.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I call dibs on your k04 if you pull the trigger!

All these people lined up to buy use ko4's makes it temptin to sell mine and go stage 3+

It would be very hard to not buy a stage 3+ setup if
1) APR had a big sale on the kit (20% off)
2) had a gooood fair offer on my kit
3) I was in a manic phase of my bipolar disorder
4) apr includes the "angry panda racing" sticker

My forged internals are ready for it and my tech wants to do it just to promote the shop

Until then the thing holding me back is I'm shopping around for a house with a driveway and a big garage to work on things myself again.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Stage II will thump a V6 Camaro and a K04 will be just behind a 5.0. If you want to hang a k04 will due but if you want to beat them you will need to BT. The K04 is going to be cheaper and you already got it.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
I already have the BB TBE and APR FMIC.

I got delayed twice getting my K04, once waiting for AWE to deliver and the other time my ECU fried.

The downtime gave me time to rethink my original K04 decision.

I really want something that will let me keep up with my buddy's 2011 5.0 Mustang. That thing is so powerful, if only it had 4 doors and a usable trunk. :)

My other BT decision is coming from my other friend's new Camaro V6 - 300 HP.

I just want to hang with that group.

Ya I think your going to need a Lil more then a k04 to pull a new 5.0 if it's a 6-speed Track pack thos have gears too. As far as your boys camaro v6 a stage 1 would be a good race and stage 2 will pull it pretty good

fastgti69

M3 Eater
going from k04 to BT is like another 2-3 grand... That's not cheap esp only for like 30-50 whp at the most. If you know you're going to build the motor and maybe make this into a crazy set up, go BT 400whp+. If you want to keep a fast DD k04 is more than enough. I rape almost everything on the streets already.

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
I ran a gt500 yesterday with my k04 and he had a car on me...the 5.0s are an easy kill actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This although disagree that there isn't a noticeable difference between IHI and K04. The stock turbo would spool even when you where trying hard not too :). K04 is actually easier to drive and stay out of boost to save gas. That said going Stage 3+ or custom beyond "anyone smell some Beef?" is going to cost WAAAY more then K04. Unless you can upgrade your rods yourself. Stage 3 is where to go if money isn't that much of an issue and you want it for a good DD. I'm K04 btw and yes I would LIKE more power but honestly its a fun car to drive as is. The king of GTI upgrades needs to get on here. Where you at Halvie!