GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key battery

Clare

I was just wondering if any one has had trouble with the battery on key fob
My car will be 3 yrs old June for the last 2 yrs I've had to change the battery every 6 weeks
Volkswagen are saying this is unusual and they've not heard of this before,
I go to main dealer every 6 weeks for a battery

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
How close do you store your key to the car when not in use?

mattywalker3

I was just wondering if any one has had trouble with the battery on key fob
My car will be 3 yrs old June for the last 2 yrs I've had to change the battery every 6 weeks
Volkswagen are saying this is unusual and they've not heard of this before,
I go to main dealer every 6 weeks for a battery
I too have had this issue, mine will be 4 years old in April, low key battery indicator started appearing on the dash about 10 months ago. So I swapped it with a Store bought battery. Did this about three times in 12 weeks before I took it back to the dealership. They swapped the battery but it started up again about two months ago. I have just switched to the spare key because I have another car on order and I figured the spare will probably last till the new car arrives.

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Wow, that would ne a pain in the arse. When I bought a spare fob for Golf, they were having problems getting it to work correctly, tech said he had to put a new battery in fob, then it went well. Maybe your dealership has a drawer full of batteries that are weak? Try what Diggs24 suggested

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
I just wanted to add that I did have an issue with my batteries and even functionality of BOTH of my key fobs on my MK7. I had to go back to the dealer for another issue and had them deal with it, and it's been working well every since. As an aside, I did watch the YouTube videos, changed the batteries, etc, etc.... not sure what was causing all the issues, but given the car is under warranty, I wasn't about to deal with it since I was going to be at the dealership, anyway. Also, since they're RFID... obviously, make sure your keys are stored nowhere near your vehicle. As an ex, if you car is parked in the garage and you hang your keys in the garage, it could be triggering the RFID and draining those CR2032 coin batts.

Last edited: