GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key fob case holster/clip

a.dubz

Car(s)
'19 VW GTI SE
Hello fellow GTI-ians! This is my first car with keyless entry and I'll just cut to the chase, this key fob is a chunky monkey. I had to take some sentimental items off my keychain to compensate for it's hefty size.

However, it's still a beast in my pocket. Constantly falls out when driving, hacky sacking it with my knee when walking, and keyblade switch out and ready for a fight when taking it out of pocket.

I did some poking around here and online but there doesn't seem to be smaller alternatives, cases with long latches that will whip around on the belt loop or just one-off DIY solutions. I was curious if someone found or made (possibly 3D printed) a fob case with clip/holster? Like the old pager days 😬 I feel this could hold the key in and could be clipped onto belt/pant waistline or inside the pocket to secure in place.

I know, first world probs but I do miss my keychain items. I figured I could keep my house keys and items together and the fob holster flying solo on me elsewhere.
Idk, just spitballing here, I figured this would be the best place to find that solution or similar.

Thanks for reading and possible insight✌️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not aware of a smaller fob but you can make it lighter by getting rid of the chrome end. I got the plain plastic end from the dealer that's for the regular Golf.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
He said holster, thought someone came up with one to put the fob next to my .40 😁.

There was a thread back ways where a group was trying to make a Jenny Craig key fob but it never really came to fruition. Maybe dig that one up and with some 3D printing ya might get somewhere. I put mine on a long thin lanyard that I attach around a belt loop on my pants and drop it in my pocket. No fuss, no muss.

a.dubz

Car(s)
'19 VW GTI SE
There was a thread back ways where a group was trying to make a Jenny Craig key fob but it never really came to fruition. Maybe dig that one up and with some 3D printing ya might get somewhere.

Ah okay, I'll do little searching then. I may end up doing what you did, just get a long lanyard and have it hold steady in the pocket. Worth a try!

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
All fobs are on single keychains that identify the car they belong to. Keys to the other cars are on a ring with their alarm fob. All other flat keys (house, garage, inlaws place, etc) are on a separate key ring. That way I don’t need 4 different sets of those keys when I want to go for a drive.

I will agree about the switchblade in pocket. I added a strip of cellophane tape to limit opening. And the GTI key is noticeably heavier than the Alltrack because of the end cap.