GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knock retard at low rpm / light load

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Sorry to butt in but relevant question. I'm only Stage 1 with EQT, how normal is to see ANY knock on the AP (average I see sometimes is -0.75 and -1.20)? Should I be expecting for the average to always be 0 or is it part of normal operation of the engine for it to see some?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry to butt in but relevant question. I'm only Stage 1 with EQT, how normal is to see ANY knock on the AP (average I see sometimes is -0.75 and -1.20)? Should I be expecting for the average to always be 0 or is it part of normal operation of the engine for it to see some?

That's not bad at all. Lots of other factors could influence the knock like fuel quality and high temperatures for a couple.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

For the most part, you should be seeing 0. Do you have a DSG or MT? Every now and then I see an average of 0.38 - 0.75 when rowing through the gears but I just ignore it because 9 out of 10 it's going to be false knock due to shifting.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
That's not bad at all. Lots of other factors could influence the knock like fuel quality and high temperatures for a couple.
Glad to hear it. Yeah, high temps here as usual.

For the most part, you should be seeing 0. Do you have a DSG or MT? Every now and then I see an average of 0.38 - 0.75 when rowing through the gears but I just ignore it because 9 out of 10 it's going to be false knock due to shifting.
DSG.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Update: I tested the EQT Stage 2 tune back to back with 5150's Stage 2 THOTS tune. The 5150 has far smoother power delivery and feels like its much more usable power. EQT's tune is fairly aggressive in that regard, it feels like the engine is really straining to do its thing. The 5150 tune makes the same power but does it in a way that feels like the car came from the factory this way. Knock is also down to zero on pulls and half as much under regular driving conditions. From what I gather, the THOTS tune is designed for california 91 octane and environment.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Update: I tested the EQT Stage 2 tune back to back with 5150's Stage 2 THOTS tune. The 5150 has far smoother power delivery and feels like its much more usable power. EQT's tune is fairly aggressive in that regard, it feels like the engine is really straining to do its thing. The 5150 tune makes the same power but does it in a way that feels like the car came from the factory this way. Knock is also down to zero on pulls and half as much under regular driving conditions. From what I gather, the THOTS tune is designed for california 91 octane and environment.

Are you sure you don't have that mixed up? The reason I ask is that Ed is on the conservative side with his tunes and not aggressive, with a very smooth, linear powerband. Well, at least with his protune he is, I never had his OTS tunes.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Are you sure you don't have that mixed up? The reason I ask is that Ed is on the conservative side with his tunes and not aggressive, with a very smooth, linear powerband. Well, at least with his protune he is, I never had his OTS tunes.
Im sure. I have gathered a lot of data regarding the two tunes, and it seems like the EQT just has somethin about it that the car doesnt like. I get lots of knock and the power delivery is wacky. Im sure a protune would be far better, but as far as the OTS tunes go this is what I have found to be the case.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Your 5150 tune runs anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees less timing. Of course it isn't pulling any timing, it isn't running any, lol. If it feels better to you then run it.
Any downsides to this? I would still get knock on the stock Stage 0 map, so whatever is going on with this 5150 tune, I like it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Any downsides to this? I would still get knock on the stock Stage 0 map, so whatever is going on with this 5150 tune, I like it.
Downside would be less power *based on if the EQT was indeed performing optimal for your gas / hardware, when it’s pulling time due to knock your final time between the would then end up being lower on the eqt.

just run what one you like, just don’t expect “golfmk7” group to back anything that opposes EQT as king of MQB tunes, lol *in this specific case I think you’re either running some real bad gas or something is up like spark plugs... what brand gas are you running?

Last edited:

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Can we see examples? (Logs)