GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control- Really?

GoFastR32

Car(s)
R32 and E90 M3
Maybe I'm doing this wrong but the launch control is sad on this car (of which I am loathe to say anything negative). Anybody have any advice on this? Car stops rev at 2900-3000 rpm then acts like, "what the h___ you doing?" when I let up on the brake. Whats up with this?
My M3 lays down $200+ dollars of scary Michelin rubber when I do launch control!

SoCalR32Boy

789/5000 .:R32
Car(s)
2008 r32
the r32 is kinda underpowered and awd so don't expect to peel out or anything, but it still takes off and puts a smile on my face.
you might think about getting a dsg software tune so that it will raise the rpm of the launch control higher to about 4500 or so.

R3Drew

Latex Salesman
What all these people said. Also make sure your ESP is toggled off, otherwise it won't even "launch control", rather just accelerate normally.

geboost07

X20A Strike Freedom
Car(s)
golf gti
Maybe I'm doing this wrong but the launch control is sad on this car (of which I am loathe to say anything negative). Anybody have any advice on this? Car stops rev at 2900-3000 rpm then acts like, "what the h___ you doing?" when I let up on the brake. Whats up with this?
My M3 lays down $200+ dollars of scary Michelin rubber when I do launch control!

lol! good luck trying to spin tires with that AWD system without a turbo.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Or supercharger....

bonix

Ready to race!
what is this "what the hell you doing" feeling? when i do it, i let go the break and the car takes a second to tell me to hang on to something then flies away! why do you want to be like a gti!?!? (jk, no offense gti's i loved mine)

Gotsol

Ready to race!
the aftermarket DSG software eliminates any of the delay in LC and the raised RPMs brings it to just the right RPM to get it moving. I've even heard it squeal a front tire.

BTW did you just buy the R32 from Leith VW in Cary?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
  1. Stop the car.
  2. Turn off ESP, ensure the little "sliding car" icon is lit on your dash
  3. Place gear selector in manual or "S" mode (will not activate LC in "D")
  4. Apply the brakes, hard.
  5. Rev the car. If you feel any "pull" at all then you are not in LC mode... It should rev freely to 3000.

If it rev's freely, proceed; if it pulls (like it is trying to move forward against the brakes) return to step 4 and push harder.

6. Rev the car to 3000 rpms. Do not floor it; just feather the gas to hold right around 2800-3000. Flooring it "confuses" the ECU/LC programs and they fight each other slowing your launch. This is the "what the hell you doing" feeling you are getting.
  7. When ready, in 1 fluid motion release the brakes and floor the gas (act like you are driving a manual, and releasing the clutch to go). You should chirp the tires and take off hard.
  8. Remember that this is a 250 hp AWD, not a 400 hp RWD.

When done properly, it will chirp all 4 tires and push off as hard as its 250 hp can push it; but it will never lay down yards and yards of rubber, it has too much traction with AWD for that. :thumbsup:

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
  1. Stop the car.
  2. Turn off ESP, ensure the little "sliding car" icon is lit on your dash
  3. Place gear selector in manual or "S" mode (will not activate LC in "D")
  4. Apply the brakes, hard.
  5. Rev the car. If you feel any "pull" at all then you are not in LC mode... It should rev freely to 3000.

If it rev's freely, proceed; if it pulls (like it is trying to move forward against the brakes) return to step 4 and push harder.

6. Rev the car to 3000 rpms. Do not floor it; just feather the gas to hold right around 2800-3000. Flooring it "confuses" the ECU/LC programs and they fight each other slowing your launch. This is the "what the hell you doing" feeling you are getting.
  7. When ready, in 1 fluid motion release the brakes and floor the gas (act like you are driving a manual, and releasing the clutch to go). You should chirp the tires and take off hard.
  8. Remember that this is a 250 hp AWD, not a 400 hp RWD.

When done properly, it will chirp all 4 tires and push off as hard as its 250 hp can push it; but it will never lay down yards and yards of rubber, it has too much traction with AWD for that. :thumbsup:

Actually, with regards to Step 4, gottaluvvw and I figured out athte strip that you don't necessarily have to put hard pressure on the brake pedal. You just have to wait a second between putting the car in "M" or "S" and pressing on the brake pedal. It takes a second for the ECU to figure out what it is you're trying to do.

But yes, when launch is done properly, all 4 wheels should chirp on take off, at least on factory tires. Seems like my Yoko S. Drives chirped some on launches, too. Don't think my DWS's have, though.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Actually, with regards to Step 4, gottaluvvw and I figured out athte strip that you don't necessarily have to put hard pressure on the brake pedal. You just have to wait a second between putting the car in "M" or "S" and pressing on the brake pedal. It takes a second for the ECU to figure out what it is you're trying to do.

But yes, when launch is done properly, all 4 wheels should chirp on take off, at least on factory tires. Seems like my Yoko S. Drives chirped some on launches, too. Don't think my DWS's have, though.

As to the brakes; mine won't do it unless enough pressure is applied. Maybe part of my failing Mech unit too, I dunno :frown:

But I've chirped all 4 DWS's on a perfect launch or two; but they are a little tougher :biggrin: