GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seals

burso

Ready to race!
We had a heavy rainstorm tomorrow and this is what the rear right door and inside frame looks like less than 24 hours after the rain. It is really bad only around this one door (although I have noticed tiny leaks around the other three. Has anyone experienced this issue and if yes is it easy to fix? I haven't contacted the dealer, was interested to hear your opinions first. Thanks

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 7,615
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 6,242
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 7,257
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 7,240

DW58

Go Kart Champion
It's difficult to see exactly what the problem is from the photos - has the water actually penetrated the seals to the inside of the car, or is it only the door shuts which are affected?

The areas where the water spots are visible have always got wet/dirty on my Mk.6, but water has never got past the rubber seals and into the interior of the car.

I steam-cleaned these areas on Monday morning this week.

burso

Ready to race!
The water didn't get inside the car but I was surprised the see the pictured areas wet. I have not seen this on my older cars, so I thought this is an anomaly.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I may be wrong, but I tend to think of that as being part of the outside of the car - I seal the paintwork generally referred to in detailing circles as the "door shuts" just as I would the external bodywork.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Yeah, don't see it as a problem really. It's the inner seal that's the proper weather seal, the outer ones on the edges of the door are more to do with wind noise suppression.

When you are travelling at speed in the rain, I think it's quite possible for water to get past the outer seals and into the door shut area.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
That's certainly how I've always seen it - that area on my current Candy White Mk.6 gets quite dirty, hence I treat it with the same G|Techniq sealant as the exterior bodywork.

I steam clean those areas with my Kärcher CS1020 steam cleaner.

burso

Ready to race!
This happened while the car was parked outside overnight. Maybe this is normal with VW, I have never experienced the areas wet in my previous cars. My understanding was that the water shouldn't get into the pictured areas.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
If you're not happy I'd check it out. As Sootchucker also points out, I don't consider this to be inside the car - the seals are above the painted areas, and the rubber strips on the doors are IMO solely there as Sootchucker suggests to keep wind noise down.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Michal - I'd make sure that these areas are sealed when you get the rest of your paintwork done as we discussed yesterday and you shouldn't experience any problems. Getting the paintwork sealed will stop any dirt adhering.

monkey boy kev

Passed Driver's Ed
I've have the same on mine and don't see it as a problem, as others have said this is the 'door shuts' and I've always had this on previous car - hence the area gets dirty as well and requires a clean at 'bath time' LOL

marvin1

Ready to race!
Ditto. Nothing unusual in seeing water around painted areas of doors when opened as it seems to be like that in my MK6. Also water pours out of the bottom door drains after washing or raining when you open the doors - a bit disconcerting at first but hey, they're only tin boxes, albeit expensive ones!

Option155

Passed Driver's Ed
Not opened car since heavy Rain on Tuesday. Will check tonight. However, I'd consider everything from the inner foam seals out as exterior - designed to keep water out so must expect water to get as far as seals. When old MK5 was washed with pressure washer the guys always had to wipe down the door frame.