GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Sigh...I'm feeling rather ADD at work today, so even more oddball PC builds. I'm not a gamer, but pretty much find any other use for a PC.

How about a lowly AMD A8-7600, watercooled, in a 2U rackmount case. What for? Audio DSP processing in Linux for my monster 4-way garage stereo. Dual monitors - one for the music software, one for twiddling virtual knobs.

torga

Autocross Champion
Ok, I like you're what-the-fuck-ever, it works attitude towards PC building. Love that it's in a 2U chassis lmao

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Back again - with a new weird PC project:

Found a dead Mac Power PC at the thrift store for $20.

Gutted what (at one time) was $3000 worth of awesome (junk by today's standards.)

Butchered a donor PC case.

Case mods in progress. More to follow (if anyone is interested.)

torga

Autocross Champion
Hell yeah, I'm interested! My dumb dream to build a PC inside the case of the new Mac Pro. That thing is wild. There's a company about to launch a crowd funding campaign to sell a PC version of it. It's an eye-watering $279 for the full-up model. Here's a link to it.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I saw a prototype review on LTT. Very cool. Mine will be more of a ghetto version. If you've ever picked up one of these cases, you'll know they would survive a nuclear war.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
20191120_133410.jpg

PS or mobo are DOA after 4 years, time for upgrades.

torga

Autocross Champion
Can anyone recommend a good brand for a PCIe 6+2 Y-Splitter adapter? I've gotten burned with low quality phone charging cables before and definitely don't want to screw around with my PSU/GPU.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
The Mac is now a full ATX PC. The internal baffle will accept a 240mm radiator with fans. Those are just junk components I used to mock everything up. The power supply will take about an hour to remove or replace, so I have a new 750 watt partial modular on order. No hard drive mounts. I'll use an NVMe, and I keep all my files on a NAS. It has tons of room, and begs for something more in there...

Now, onto sanding, filling nicks and gouges, and fresh paint. Yup, bodywork on a computer case ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
Excellent work! Loving the custom effort. How's that keyboard? Looks nice. I like the slim platform and the keycaps look good.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I've become a weird keyboard snob. In the picture, a Glorious GMMK board with Kailh bronze switches and thick/soft o rings. It's my favorite so far. Short travel with a light, sharp click.

I've also have keyboards with Cherry Red, Brown and Blue, along with a Unicomp Model M. The Unicomp is well suited for typing angry emails ;)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Anyone in here happen to have an SLI-ready, 1,000 watt power supply just gathering dust in their closet? I'm looking to add a second video card to my current build (I do a lot of 3D rendering on the GPU, so the more Cuda cores, the better) and my 650 watt isn't capable of handling it haha.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've become a weird keyboard snob. In the picture, a Glorious GMMK board with Kailh bronze switches and thick/soft o rings. It's my favorite so far. Short travel with a light, sharp click.

I've also have keyboards with Cherry Red, Brown and Blue, along with a Unicomp Model M. The Unicomp is well suited for typing angry emails ;)
What do o-rings bring to the table? I'm pretty fresh to the mech. keyboard arena. I've got a Keychron K2 with Gateron browns and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
They soften the feel a little when the keys bottom out, and shorten the throw. They'll also quiet the keyboard down a bit. Just like bump stops on your car's struts. It's a cheap/easy mod, and you can take them off if you don't like them.

If you want to go full-geek, watch some of this guys stuff. I think he almost gets some sort of sexual pleasure when he types on certain keyboards.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
They soften the feel a little when the keys bottom out, and shorten the throw. They'll also quiet the keyboard down a bit. Just like bump stops on your car's struts. It's a cheap/easy mod, and you can take them off if you don't like them.

I use bump stops on my keyboard at work just to annoy my neighbors less haha.