GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light bar on Golf Mk8 style 2.0 TDI

Paulb1994

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me, I picked up my golf (70 plate) the other day and love it!

I've seen that Style trim comes with the front grille light bar, however, having a look I can't see it and I've not seen it turned on over the last few days.

Is there anyway to turn it on or to check whether it's actually there?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Light bar comes with iQ lights and works only when lights are on at night/dark... it is not working with DRL leds...

daveb15

Ready to race!
Light bar come with LED plus headlights or IQ lights. The Style come with LED plus head lights as standard. There used to be an option to add LED plus headlights to the Life and R-Line but not anymore now you have to add IQ Lights. Not sure how easy it would be to retro fit the light bar to an existing car.

Paulb1994

Light bar come with LED plus headlights or IQ lights. The Style come with LED plus head lights as standard. There used to be an option to add LED plus headlights to the Life and R-Line but not anymore now you have to add IQ Lights. Not sure how easy it would be to retro fit the light bar to an existing car.
I'm pretty sure it's the LED plus lights on this, I can't check again because the website took the car off. Apart from waiting till night time, is there any other way to check? Thanks!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
You can check the front grill by looking for the led bar as circled in the photo
5A2156BD-09D9-4378-A00D-F69AEB35343D.jpeg

F2614B85-88FC-4C0F-B08F-0D43D9993177.jpeg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If I had a mk8 Golf with this light bar, I’d be investigating to see if it could be disabled 😀. IMHO it looks a bit tacky and not very VW-like. That’s just my opinion though and it’s good we don’t all like the same things.

I think the light bar is here to stay though - VW have added it to the facelift version of the Polo.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
To the OP, your car is a 70 plate, so assuming you're in the Uk your Style should have the lite bar. It only illuminates with the main headlites, like when it's dark (duh), the only way you would see if it's fitted and works is to park your car somewhere it's dark, or the car decides it's dark, switch off engine, jump out, ignore the 'ignition left on bleeps' and have a look for yourself. I have the 1.5 Style 150PS manual, it has the lite bar which I'm not over keen on, but I do like the car way more than I thought I would, the slightly longer wheelbase took a bit of getting used to as did the lower down mounted mirrors so increasing mirrors folded width slightly with the tight turns for entry to my garage. Takes an extra couple of button presses to turn off the annoying (to me at least) stop / start, or say adjust the heater blower functions, but you soon get used to it and it is what it is. One point: I've ony seen another 4 Mk8's on the road, so still fairly rare in these parts, but I've not had any double takes as I did with first Mk7 way back in 2013, hate to say it from many angles the car does look quite similar to a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra.....

Paulb1994

In
To the OP, your car is a 70 plate, so assuming you're in the Uk your Style should have the lite bar. It only illuminates with the main headlites, like when it's dark (duh), the only way you would see if it's fitted and works is to park your car somewhere it's dark, or the car decides it's dark, switch off engine, jump out, ignore the 'ignition left on bleeps' and have a look for yourself. I have the 1.5 Style 150PS manual, it has the lite bar which I'm not over keen on, but I do like the car way more than I thought I would, the slightly longer wheelbase took a bit of getting used to as did the lower down mounted mirrors so increasing mirrors folded width slightly with the tight turns for entry to my garage. Takes an extra couple of button presses to turn off the annoying (to me at least) stop / start, or say adjust the heater blower functions, but you soon get used to it and it is what it is. One point: I've ony seen another 4 Mk8's on the road, so still fairly rare in these parts, but I've not had any double takes as I did with first Mk7 way back in 2013, hate to say it from many angles the car does look quite similar to a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra.....

In Scotland so by the sounds of it it should have, but unfortunately I don't appear to have one which is a shame!

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Lucky you, living in Scotland, we'd love to live North O' The Border. Taken our hols there on & off since 1997, regularly since 2003, there is literally so much to do, people so friendly & helpful, made many friends. And - it don't rain all the time, we have wet our weather clothing close at hand but only worn it twice. Back on topic; shame your car don't have the litebar, pretty sure it should being a Style model....

Paulb1994

Lucky you, living in Scotland, we'd love to live North O' The Border. Taken our hols there on & off since 1997, regularly since 2003, there is literally so much to do, people so friendly & helpful, made many friends. And - it don't rain all the time, we have wet our weather clothing close at hand but only worn it twice. Back on topic; shame your car don't have the litebar, pretty sure it should being a Style model....
Aw I love it here, been here over 15 years now! Glad you like it! Yeah, everywhere I look including the VW website confirms it should be there, I'm at the car garage now handing over paperwork for my old car so I'll probably ask them about it! Cheers

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Another way to check is to set the lights to the parking position and the led bar will light up even during the day...
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

Reactions: tos

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I picked up my golf (70 plate) the other day. I've seen that Style trim comes with the front grille light bar, however, having a look I can't see it and I've not seen it turned on over the last few days

I think the light bar and power fold mirrors were only introduced on Style models for the 2021 model year (cars built from July?? 2020 onwards). 2020 model year Styles did not have either.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think the light bar and power fold mirrors were only introduced on Style models for the 2021 model year (cars built from July?? 2020 onwards). 2020 model year Styles did not have either.
The light bar certainly wasn’t listed as part of the Style model’s spec in the April 2020 brochure;

3E69FFB3-5A04-47B0-A728-5AFA6535F586.jpeg

It’s listed in the current brochure (effective 24/09/2021) for the Style model, so I agree, it probably was a 2021 model year change.

BD2FE435-53C3-4360-B7B5-B590FC40B9E0.jpeg