GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lighting Pkg / Halogen Swap?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I own two Mk7’s: an S trim GSW with halogens and a GTI with lighting package.

Can I swap the headlights and be fully functional (adaptive and leveling features functional) with just VCDS coding?

I’m mainly interested in:

1. Is it possible? and
2. Is it easy? Like, just a simple swap-out and five minutes of coding easy.

Reason I ask is that I will almost certainly own the TDI longer than the GTI and I want those lights! The bi-xenons are so so much better than the halogens.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
You will not have afs functionality without installing then leveling sensor and the controller. The lights can be added and work statically with harness adapters available online.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
You will not have afs functionality without installing then leveling sensor and the controller. The lights can be added and work statically with harness adapters available online.

Can the leveling sensor and controller be moved from the GTI to the GSW? Pardon my ignorance. I was hoping all the necessary bits could be moved from one Mk7 to another.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
There's another thread floating around about adding OEM LP.

Long story short it can and has been done but it's not plug and play. Way more time and money vs aftermarket LP replicas that take less than an hour to install and code for a fraction of the money. Plus, both halos lit and cool LED turn signals on the reps

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie

Long story short it can and has been done but it's not plug and play. Way more time and money vs aftermarket LP replicas that take less than an hour to install and code for a fraction of the money. Plus, both halos lit and cool LED turn signals on the reps

Yeah, but it'd be free. That's why I was hoping I could do it.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Eh, doing nothing is free. Up to you to figure what your time and energy is worth. :)

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29237

That's the process of halogen to OEM bixenon. It'll be on you to figure out how to then wire the GTI from LP to non-LP. I second the opinion of "buy some good reps with proper bixenon functionality and drive happy"

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Then what about the poor bastard that ends up with the Gti?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So you wanna hack up the harness on the gti and jsw to flip flop lights? Yeah no, not a great idea...sounds like the back story to a thread titled- "help, I messed up both of my daily drivers and now my wife and I can't get to work!"

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
So you wanna hack up the harness on the gti and jsw to flip flop lights? Yeah no, not a great idea...sounds like the back story to a thread titled- "help, I messed up both of my daily drivers and now my wife and I can't get to work!"

If the harnesses have to be modified instead of being able to be swapped, then hell no, I wouldn’t even mess with it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'd imagine that swapping harnesses would be very spendy (fog lights are different) and a big job. Not sure but I think the lighting harnesses is all one piece for the whole front of the car

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Agreed, much easier to do this, but if you are looking for something much easier with projector visibility without coding or switching headlights the H7RC low beam is the next best option many choose:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

Let us know what you go with and your results. thanks