GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for Another Laptop, but...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I prefer one without cooling fans. I currently have a Lenovo 710 11. It does everything I want and doesn't use cooling fans. Of course I don't have the faster speeds you get with fans but with its SSD it's fast enough for me. The only way I see I can get something similar since Lenovo doesn't make one like mine anymore is to get a Chromebook. I see ones that have Intel processors and WIN10 but most don't have HDMI ports. Any suggestions? I'd like 8GB RAM with a 128GB SSD. No more than a 13" screen, smaller would be even better.

cb1111

Why no fan? You are limiting yourself for something insignificant. A properly designed laptop will have the laptop fan running very infrequently?

What are you doing with the laptop?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
There's lots of great Chromebooks that have an Intel Core I5 or I7 processor.
I would have to check about the HDMI port but why HDMI specifically? You didn't mean USB port did you?

cb1111

You really need to decide what you want the computer to do. I always buy the top spec, but I keep it for many years. I'm still using my Lenovo X220 from 2012 and I just assigned 4 Dell D430's from 2007'ish to a project that just needed simple word processing and access to one website. They work fine.

graysen

Are you looking to build a laptop for gaming, it yes, then which video game are you going to play mostly?

1L19

Autocross Champion
You really need to decide what you want the computer to do. I always buy the top spec, but I keep it for many years. I'm still using my Lenovo X220 from 2012 and I just assigned 4 Dell D430's from 2007'ish to a project that just needed simple word processing and access to one website. They work fine.
This right here. It's hard for folks to offer help without knowing what you want as a final product. I'm also curious as to why you don't want fans. I have 3 fans in this lappy and they are whisper quiet. Well unless I try to play Subnautica and Fallout 4 at the same time.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Can confirm. Got two in the house
I have years of experience supporting/using both PC's and Macs. For general use (not gaming) Macs are my personal pick. I have a Mac mini and a macbook pro. I used Windows machines most of my working career as an IT person but I still prefer Macs, because they just run.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I have years of experience supporting/using both PC's and Macs. For general use (not gaming) Macs are my personal pick. I have a Mac mini and a macbook pro. I used Windows machines most of my working career as an IT person but I still prefer Macs, because they just run.
I prefer Mac too but I have a gaming pc too. Only use it to play. 2700x 1080ti 16gb of fast ram cheap ssd

It does well. I wish I could build a Mac gaming pc but not many games are on mac. Plus u can’t really build one. I mean u can but not really.

cb1111

Any other reason for that comment, other than not your personal preference? Genuinely curious what you perceive the negatives to be.
It is mostly personal preference but there are a few things where I think that the Mac is worse at doing. There are many business based programs (Office etc.) that have less functionality on a Mac and the lack of a "right click" drives me nuts. Many of the mainstream business programs were designed for Windows and ported to Mac as an afterthought.

OTOH, if I was doing photo/design then the Mac might be a better platform. I just can't get over the lack of a right click.

Then there is the security issue. Mac users believe that they are immune to hacks but don't understand that they haven't been hacked because they are a relatively small target - but subsets have been specifically targeted - see the Big Mac Attack of a few years ago.

While the market share of Mac has increased over the years, it looks like it is going down a bit again. Here is the link for the static chart below.

1625862460457.png