GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for Another Laptop, but...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I’ve been slowly integrating my smart home devices. It’s hard to find products that integrate with HomeKit natively. From what I have read the encryption is a bastard to work with. That’s a plus for me. There is a raspberry pi setup you can build, can’t recall the name, basically it will bridge not HomeKit devices with HomeKit. It does all the heavy lifting. I am still considering it. I have other projects right now I’m trying to finish before the next semester starts. So it needs to wait.
U mean home assistant. Probably the most powerful and capable but very difficult to work with

home kit stuff has to pass apple’s bullshit. But as a result of that bullshit, the experience setting up is simplified as hell.

get a home pod mini. This way u can use apple’s Thread.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
U mean home assistant. Probably the most powerful and capable but very difficult to work with

home kit stuff has to pass apple’s bullshit. But as a result of that bullshit, the experience setting up is simplified as hell.

get a home pod mini. This way u can use apple’s Thread.
I have the 4K Apple TV. No It is HomeBridge. You setup the Pi and it literally bridges non HomeKit devices with HomeKit. Pretty trick.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I have the 4K Apple TV. No It is HomeBridge. You setup the Pi and it literally bridges non HomeKit devices with HomeKit. Pretty trick.
Oooh ok home bridge. It’s how u set the pi as a secondary to allow for HomeKit.

home assistant is something totally different. Sorry. Home assistant is by far the erect penis of all the smart home hubs. Plus unlike Amazon and google, who use WiFi. Home assistant doesn’t need a cloud and does it all locally, it’s way more secured this way. Basically home assistant is hubitat with a huge wiener.

home bridge has some plus and minuses. It’s power lies in the fact that u can now use home kit, zwave, zigbee and anything else in between.

edit. Home assistant is a fucking pain in the ass to set up. It does require script writing knowledge too. Heavy amounts of it if u want automation. That’s it’s biggest and only con IMO.

home bridge can sometimes lag a wee bit. But it’s hardly a second at worse. So at worse your shit won’t be instant and will take a mere second. Frankly that ain’t even a con. But for some folks maybe? I can recommend home bridge for sure

KevinC

Autocross Champion
If it is that simple, then I might just play around with one.
It really is. Play around with a new MacBook Air in a store. I think you'll be impressed. And 15-20 hours of battery life is nothing to sneeze at.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
It's always hard for me to understand why people run Mac unless they are old, have zero computer experience or think their PC should be a fashion accessory. The business world runs on Microsoft and that's about it.
That sounds like something I would have said prior to 2008, when I dumped Windows forever. You couldn't pay me to run Windows on any of my personal machines nowadays. And "the business world runs on Microsoft" just isn't reality nowadays. My wife is an IT director for the largest bank in the country. You might be shocked at how many Macs are in use there. Times have changed.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
It really is. Play around with a new MacBook Air in a store. I think you'll be impressed. And 15-20 hours of battery life is nothing to sneeze at.
It’s crazy dude. My wife has the m1 MacBook Pro and she charges it once every 1.5-2 weeks. Though she’s a light user

my daughter also has the same model and is definitely a power user and she charges every 5-8 days

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
It’s never too late
No interest. I have a Chromebook and pretty soon Google is updating it to also run Windows. I don't use the laptop much. Mostly the Samsung S7 tablet. Everything I've posted in here is using the tablet.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
No interest. I have a Chromebook and pretty soon Google is updating it to also run Windows. I don't use the laptop much. Mostly the Samsung S7 tablet. Everything I've posted in here is using the tablet.
I personally have no interest in a Mac for myself too. I’d never use it. I use my iPhone for everything and my pc for gaming. Mostly ff14 these days