GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking into a staggered setup need help

Stormywizz

Car(s)
Mk7 gti and mk7.5 sp
Hi all, So as the title says I'm looking into a staggered set up for my mk7. Fronts are a 255/40/18 with a 18x8.5 et34.5. from what I can gather they should fit no problem. The rears however are my concern. They are a 285/35/18 on a 18x9.5 et 48. Willitfit has it coming in 38.4mm closer to the strut then stock. I'm stock suspension at the moment, but would like to do lowering springs eventually. I'm going to assume the rears are too wide? Thanks everyone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200713-071500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200713-071500_Chrome.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 67

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know if it would fit but why would you want to go with a setup that can't be rotated to compensate for the fronts wearing the tread much faster than the rears?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hi all, So as the title says I'm looking into a staggered set up for my mk7. Fronts are a 255/40/18 with a 18x8.5 et34.5. from what I can gather they should fit no problem. The rears however are my concern. They are a 285/35/18 on a 18x9.5 et 48. Willitfit has it coming in 38.4mm closer to the strut then stock. I'm stock suspension at the moment, but would like to do lowering springs eventually. I'm going to assume the rears are too wide? Thanks everyone
you are trying to fit this set up
To a mk7 golf?

Is this a set up being sold used So you are just “trying” to fit it? because that rubber selection is all wrong... both the F/R are Over an inch taller than what the car has been calibrated for, the front will poke and need negative camber Beyond what stock could do to clear (so camber plates/offset ball joints) to not rub.

The rears... I see the comparison you used says the existing wheel is a 7.5 with a 35et are these aftermarket already? Stocks are more like 49et, anyways a 9.5 will poke or rub on the inner well depending on the offset, and a 285/35... forget about it unless you don’t mind poking out a lot and not lowering the car and having lots of Neg camber again to clear the fender as the suspension compresses.

Stormywizz

Car(s)
Mk7 gti and mk7.5 sp
you are trying to fit this set up
To a mk7 golf?

Is this a set up being sold used So you are just “trying” to fit it? because that rubber selection is all wrong... both the F/R are Over an inch taller than what the car has been calibrated for, the front will poke and need negative camber Beyond what stock could do to clear (so camber plates/offset ball joints) to not rub.

The rears... I see the comparison you used says the existing wheel is a 7.5 with a 35et are these aftermarket already? Stocks are more like 49et, anyways a 9.5 will poke or rub on the inner well depending on the offset, and a 285/35... forget about it unless you don’t mind poking out a lot and not lowering the car and having lots of Neg camber again to clear the fender as the suspension compresses.
Yes they are being offered to me from a friend. I pretty much assumed they wouldn't fit but thought I'd ask as the price is right. And no that's based on the factory Austin's.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What he said. None of that is a good idea.

I mean, unless you're going with a wide body kit, a whole lot of suspension parts and making a show car. Then you can finesse those in there for under $10,000 if you know a guy that does body work. ;)