GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Losing data connection

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
That’s very disappointing. I can understand the dealer needs to get the ok from VW to apply an update (the dealer will have to be paid for the car to be hooked up for 4 or 5 hours), But it’s a pity they didn’t press your case with VW HQ. Hopefully your call to customer services will do the trick. Software version 1668 seems to be much more stable.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same situation. On my 2nd Golf 8, which has the same issue as the first (which was replaced). Just been in the dealer for the 2nd time for 2 weeks, various software updates, a new SOS system etc and still the issue exists. But still on software 1664. It is so frustrating as I reckon 1668 will solve the issue, but will they install it - No. And whilst I had an agreement with the dealer that the car could be rejected, they have now changed their decision as the head of sales and after sales have moved on. All I want is for them to put all the latest software on the car, and replace any control units which need replacing. At the moment they are saying they don't believe there is an issue and I either have to let a technician ride in the car with me (illegal and dangerous for both of us during covid), or prove it some other way. I think I will go direct to VW and see if I can get the dealer to be a bit more helpful.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
The VW Customer Service agent called me today. He says the software release 1668 is not applicable to my car and I am on the latest release for my car. Mind you I told him in error that I was on 1666 when I am on 1664 which wasn't queried so I'm not sure how much checking was done.

On the issue of losing data connection he gave me the phone number of the Digital Services support based in Athens. I rang them. The guy there told me that unfortunately with wireless connectivity there will always be occasional issues. He said just as wireless routers tend to need rebooting on occasion the same applied for their data server in the car. I'm not sure but I think he implied that there is an automatic reboot now and then which may explain why it fixes itself after a period.

He's sent me a troubleshooting checklist which should enable me to reset the server myself. However it does involve deleting the primary user and resetting the infotainment centre. It's not clear to me that after following the full process all my settings and favourites will be restored. I'll try it if I lose connection again.

He did say that the issue should be a very infrequent event but if it is happening regularly then I should call back and they'll open a ticket to look at my problem.

Here is the troubleshooting list sent to me.

• Delete your account from the infotainment system (Menu-Users-Settings-Delete Users).
  • Delete the vehicle from the We connect account in the We Connect website.
  • Perform a factory reset from the infotainment system (Menu-Settings-Factory Settings- Reset Settings to factory settings- Confirm the reset).
  • Exit the vehicle and leave it fully locked with the engine and the infotainment system off for 5-10 mins.
  • Turn the ignition on.
  • Login to your account in the infotainment system after having the vehicle readded in the website and try to become the Main User.

If the above steps did not resolve the issue, please be so kind to follow the last steps below:
  • Set privacy mode to maximum for about 10-20 sec. : Go to Menu-Users-Settings (bottom right side)-Privacy Settings & Services- Select the first option (Full privacy) and have it in this state for 10-20 seconds.
  • Then Select the last option (Share my location / position).
  • Exit the vehicle and leave it fully locked for at least 10 minutes.
  • The online services will be available again at the next start.

Stevep33

I also lost data connection to the We Connect app. I phoned We Connect and after giving them my details, they were able to locate the problem remotely. They then sent the resolution to my dealership who have now (hopefully) corrected the problem and have also updated my media software.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
That’s good news.

Mine failed again (third time) and I tried the suggested actions I posted earlier up this thread to resolve the problem. The Infotainment factory reset failed and I chicken out of removing my car from my We-Connect Account because it warned me I would lose all my settings. I couldn’t then re-add myself as the Primary user so now I am using the car as a Guest User.

I contacted VW via the “I” button in the car which is what the dealer advised me to do if I lost connection again. They got me talking to VW Digital Digital Systems support. They’ve opened a ticket for me and say they are in touch with VW technical to find a resolution but they thought I would probably have to take it into the dealer. At the moment I am waiting for them to come back to me. I hope they will end up applying a software update.

Stevep33

Try phoning We Connect directly. I got the phone number through the We Connect portal. They were brilliant and found the problem immediately. They knew my preferred dealership and contacted them with the resolution. Good luck.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
VW Digital Services and We-Connect are the same people. I had an email from We-Connect today saying that they are working on the issue.

Sniffer

I bought my new Mk8 GTI in December, 2020 and have been experiencing all sorts of software issues since then e.g. central locking not functioning properly, Infotainment screen freezing, VW Connect throwing me out and the forward assist and park distance control sensors switching on and off, randomly. The SOS Emergency Unit also displayed a fault, very occasionally.

Anyway my dealer had my car for 5 days this week and performed various software downloads, including updating the Infotainment System from version 1664 to 1668 and, so far, it all seems to working much slicker. Time will tell!

My car came off the production line in Week 40, which was well after the date (June, 2020) when the SOS fault was supposed to have been fixed... but it's defective. The replacement unit is on back order now and I hope to have it retrofitted soon, although I was warned that there is already a huge backlog of customers waiting for the part.

I asked the After Sales Manager whether he needed to obtain authority from VW to perform the 5-6 hour software download and he looked puzzled. He assured me that, as VW main dealers, they had total authority to carry out this work, under warranty, and that the problems I had experienced were well known with the Mk8. It sounds like some people on here are being spun a line by their local dealers.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally We-Connect support have come back and advised my dealer to apply a software update to fix the data connection problem.. My car goes in next week for the update.

I don't know whether this a new fix. When I was pressing for my car to be updated to the latest software level a few weeks ago VW customer services told me I was already on the latest version but I'm not convinced they were well informed.

Hopefully this will stop the problem re-occuring then I'll have just one outstanding issue which is that my mobile phone doesn't always automaticaLly connect on startup.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
1668 seems to be pretty stable, so hopefully this will solve the problems..

Sniffer

1668 seems to be pretty stable, so hopefully this will solve the problems..
Yes, in just a few days, I have noticed a significant difference after upgrading from 1664 to 1668. The system is significantly more stable, as you say, Handydave.

The central locking problem in my car (sometimes the sensors worked, sometimes they didn't) has also been cured but that involved a different software update at the dealers. According to my dealer, it's a common problem and is easily fixed. I didn't need any hardware replaced on that visit.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, in just a few days, I have noticed a significant difference after upgrading from 1664 to 1668. The system is significantly more stable, as you say, Handydave.

The central locking problem in my car (sometimes the sensors worked, sometimes they didn't) has also been cured but that involved a different software update at the dealers. According to my dealer, it's a common problem and is easily fixed. I didn't need any hardware replaced on that visit.
As a matter of interest does it also fix the mobile phone not automatically connecting problem?

Sniffer

As a matter of interest does it also fix the mobile phone not automatically connecting problem?
I am afraid not. But I've found that, if my phone hasn't connected first time, that opening and closing the driver's door will do the trick.

Strange but true!

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I am afraid not. But I've found that, if my phone hasn't connected first time, that opening and closing the driver's door will do the trick.

Strange but true!
Yes I also use the open door trick. Much easier and quicker than selecting the phone again.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
As long as it is not raining, my procedure is as follows:
- open the door
- sit on the seat, clutch, engine start
- car will start beeping that engine is running and door is open
- after 3 beeps, I close the door (just enough time to fasten seat belt)
In most cases Carplay connects, sometimes even continues to play podcast.
But no 100% (of course SW hiccups have to exist) as I mostly start driving reverse with engaged camera.
Maybe I would need additional few seconds (to lit up cigarette or to correct makeup) (bummer, I am not smoking nor I am woman) of patience.