GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Losing power after gear shifts (DSG)

Essence

Hi Guys,

Would greatly appreciate your inputs on this.

I'm driving a mk6 GTI DSG, had it tune up to stage 2 recently. Had my intake, downpipe and resonator delete done as well (stock muffler), changed out my plugs to new ones with new R8 coil packs. Everything else is stock.

After my tune, I experienced lag when up shifting, meaning every time i go into a higher gear, the car lags (loses power) for a split second before going full on again. This happens when i'm heavy on the throttle climbing to high rpm range. It does feel like a turbo lag? I'm not sure.

Anyone on stage 2 tune with DSG experienced this? Is this is norm? or there's something wrong with my car.

Help please.:(

Jaber

Modero
How many miles? What tune?

Does it happen only when you go full throttle or partial?

Essence

How many miles? What tune?

Does it happen only when you go full throttle or partial?

44k miles. I would say near full on the throttle, it's like as long as I'm in high boost, when I shift up, it's lags a little before going full on. I'm puzzled because I would suppose there shouldn't be any lag with the dsg. And I don't have a boost gauge, I can't tell if the boost drops in between shifts.

Forgot to mention that i do have a stage 2 dsg tune as well.

Last edited:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed this with my Stage 1 tune...It only happens to me when I down shift a few gears quickly. There is about a second delay and then the power comes in.

I did some experimenting under different conditions and realized it's the DSG waiting to engage the clutch. I'm assuming, fuel is cut to the engine, the DSG selects a gear and waits a bit longer before allowing fuel flow to make sure you aren't at peak boost to preserve the clutches.

Essence

I also realised on a stand still, when I throttle hard, the rpm will climb to about 3 to 4k rpm before moving off. It's like I'm driving a manual on half clutch position trying to launch off. (and no, I'm not in launch control mode, esp is on and most importantly, my left foot is not on the brakes when I'm hitting on the throttle)

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed this with my Stage 1 tune...It only happens to me when I down shift a few gears quickly. There is about a second delay and then the power comes in.

I did some experimenting under different conditions and realized it's the DSG waiting to engage the clutch. I'm assuming, fuel is cut to the engine, the DSG selects a gear and waits a bit longer before allowing fuel flow to make sure you aren't at peak boost to preserve the clutches.

I've noticed this too.

Or sometimes if I press the throttle a bit and let go before I downshift, the DSG will slowly shift down before it engages.

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero

DSG predicts what gear you're going to be in next, based off driving behavior. So if you try to downshift from 5th to 4th, 5th to 4th might be quick downshift, if you're at the right conditions. But if you try to quickly downshift to say 3rd or 2nd, there will most likely be a delay.

Good read on how the DSG functions and avoiding those uh-oh moments. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Essence

I've noticed this too.

Or sometimes if I press the throttle a bit before I downshift, the DSG will slowly shift down before it engages.

I assume this is absolutely normal, it's the car rev matching for you. This like the "heel-toe" technique you apply on a manual gearbox with a clutch pedal. It's something I love about the dsg down shifts, it matches my rev perfectly to the next gear.

Essence

Has the DSG service been completed at 40k?

Yes, full dsg service done.

The feeling is like you feel the full G pushing you forward, and when you up shift, that force forward pulls back and then push you forward again.

Jaber

Modero
Yes, full dsg service done.

The feeling is like you feel the full G pushing you forward, and when you up shift, that force forward pulls back and then push you forward again.

Can't say this happens in my car. What tune do you have (not stage, but from who?) and what spark plugs did you install? Is it normal when full throttle then?

You might need to contact the tuner for further help. Since you have DSG tune as well. More than likely will require some logging with VCDS (VAGCOM).

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I also realised on a stand still, when I throttle hard, the rpm will climb to about 3 to 4k rpm before moving off. It's like I'm driving a manual on half clutch position trying to launch off. (and no, I'm not in launch control mode, esp is on and most importantly, my left foot is not on the brakes when I'm hitting on the throttle)

That doesn't sound right though. It shouldn't allow the clutch to slip all the way up to 3-4k like that...I've never had that happened. I'm at 50k miles and did the DSG service at 40k...I'm hoping nothing comes up

Essence

Can't say this happens in my car. What tune do you have (not stage, but from who?) and what spark plugs did you install? Is it normal when full throttle then?

You might need to contact the tuner for further help. Since you have DSG tune as well. More than likely will require some logging with VCDS (VAGCOM).

I'm from Singapore, tune is done by my local tuner here. It's a flash in quite similar to APR and many others.

Maybe I'll check with my tuner. I have a handful of friends on the same tune, but on the 1.4 scirocco, they don't have this issue. Haven't had a gti for me to benchmark with, that's why I seeking advice here. Loads of technical gurus here.

Essence

That doesn't sound right though. It shouldn't allow the clutch to slip all the way up to 3-4k like that...I've never had that happened. I'm at 50k miles and did the DSG service at 40k...I'm hoping nothing comes up

It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping. It bites like hell, it kinda feels like the clutch has yet to engage.