GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lots of water in the spare tire well

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Hey guys - I have a 2015 Golf TDI, and I'm getting a ton of water in my spare tire well. There isn't water anywhere else in the car. The weird thing is, it's not anywhere BUT the well. Nothing along the sides or on the floor of the hatch.

I've replaced the drain tube from the emblem. That didn't change anything. I've also checked the hatch seal, and it appears to be tight and working.

Also, I was involved in a very (very) minor accident that required some repairs to the bumper and the drivers side tail light. Tonight I pulled the tail light that had been replaced and checked for water ingress. Everything looked tight and fine, though bit dirty. I cleaned it all up and replaced the light.

The only other thing I can think of is through the vents under the bumper, but wouldn't that cause a lot of water along the hatch floor?

Has anyone had any issues with water in this manner? It's driving me nuts as everything LOOKS fine!

IMG_0847.jpeg

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Underneath that cover, I recall some plastic pressure release vents that open when a door is closed to release pressure and then close to keep elements out. Might check to see if they are stuck open.

Found some pictures in a post I made awhile back about quieting the Golf interior. The below pictures show the pressure release vents along with a blue hose (next to right side pressure release vent) that is a water drain on right side another potential culprit. Also included picture before I added material around spare tire well to show there is no opening in that area. I would strip it down so you can see the water coming in from the hose.

PS That blue hose shown in the picture you may want to find where it drains and fish something up into it to see if it is blocked.

Attachments

• 6treat1.JPG
    6treat1.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,085
  • 5complete.JPG
    5complete.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 3,919
  • 4strippedout.JPG
    4strippedout.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 4,223
Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Check the remaining 3 tail lights too. I have seen pics somewhere w/ misplaced/damaged gaskets on the hatch lights.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I checked the sunroof drains in the rear. Both appeared to be ok and weren’t stuck shut or anything. I also pulled the other outer tail light to check the gasket. It didn’t appear to be letting water in, but I cleaned up the gasket surfaces really good anyway and replaced it.

I’ll check the last two tail lights. I think the hose mentioned above is the sunroof drain. I’ll check inside to make sure it hasn’t disconnected.

if none of these are the culprit, I’ll have to check the side vents. I hope they aren’t the issue, as replacing them is a pain.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
There's a drain hole in the fuel fill area recess. I suppose that rain water can enter this area as it runs down the side of the car. I don't know if there's a drain line attached, but it'd be easy to test by pouring a little water into the area.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There's a drain hole in the fuel fill area recess. I suppose that rain water can enter this area as it runs down the side of the car. I don't know if there's a drain line attached, but it's be easy to test by pouring a little water into the area.
It should have a drain tube fitted - number 4 on the diagram below (part number 3AA809937).

E522B0A7-9F0C-4231-BE0F-1F77B7FBB2ED.jpeg

The drain tub shouldn’t empty its contents into the luggage compartment or spare wheel well as it‘s positioned between the wheel arch and wheel arch liner, and any water draining from the fuel filler recess should just drain out onto the ground behind the right rear wheel.

@MattRabbit - other places to check;
  • seal between the roof aerial and roof. If the seal becomes perished or damaged, then it can let water in which is likely to ultimately drain into the luggage compartment and then the spare wheel well.
  • ribbed rubber sleeving that protects the electric cables from the car into the tailgate. if the end of this sleeving that’s connected to the upper part of the hatch opening becomes damaged, then there can be water ingress into the luggage compartment / spare wheel well.
  • tailgate hinge attachment points to the car body above the hatch opening. There were cases on early mk7 Golfs where water was entering the luggage compartment at the point where the hinges are attached to the body shell.
With all of the above, you might also have water staining to the headlining at the rear of the car and / or a damp rear seat cushion.

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
- Checked the antenna and roof - the seal is fine, there's no water in there.
- checked the sleeving that protects the wiring - dry
- the seal around the hatch is working, the tailgate hinge seems to be fine. There's no staining of the headliner in the back (the sunroof is a different story. I recently plugged the leak up there!)
- I checked the vent flaps under the bumper (I reached up behind the bumper and could feel them. They were all closed and seemed to be working properly). I couldn't check the seals, as the bumper is still attached, but everything appeared to be ok (as far as I can tell).
- The sunroof drains were draining. I verified water is coming out when it rains.
- Checked the other tail lights - the seals are working fine

It's the weirdest thing. Just sitting in my driveway, the spare tire well will fill with water if it rains (Florida rain is no joke). There is nothing wet surrounding the spare tire well, just the well is full of water. I even pulled some of the plastic trim panels to see if I could find it, but everything is dry.

This is driving me nuts!

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I went out and reached up behind the bumper again and felt for the vents. They were shut, but I tried to grab them and move them around. They slid around in the holes. That means the seals are probably not working in the slightest. I may have found the culprit.

I'll order two new vents (7N0819465E) and replace them, using some silicon rubber around the edges to keep water out. Hopefully that's the end of it. I'll report back what I find.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The vents slide around in my GTI as well. Removing the outer tails I can see water marks that run directly to the top of the vents. Haven't noticed any incoming water to my trunk there yet.

Looking at your pic I guess your issue is somewhere at the hatch door and not the vents.
1. GeorgeAb's pic #5 in answer #4 shows his trunk. Behind the rectangle opening on the left side there is one of the vents. The opening sits much higher. Is it wet in there? The pic of your carpet doesn't look like the amount of water came from the side of the vehicle
2. The plastic trim piece where the hatch door closes looks wet and has some water marks. I would start at the hatch door.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Have you tried getting inside and have someone spray car with hose yet? It's a HB so it is way better than trying it with a sedan

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Have you tried getting inside and have someone spray car with hose yet? It's a HB so it is way better than trying it with a sedan
This is really the best way. Start with the water low on the car and work your way up. Make sure the interior is out. This includes the quarter trims. You won’t find it easily otherwise.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Update:

I pulled the bumper and swapped the vents on either side with new ones. The seals looked pretty old and dry, and there was a *little* bit of water behind the drivers side one, but nothing huge. After replacing them... you guessed it! More water in the spare tire well the next time it rained.

I also dumped tons of water into the rear sunroof drains to see if they were draining properly. They drained out without issue.

I've started low and tried to work my way back, but the water is ONLY in the spare tire well. There is no moisture anywhere else. I even pulled the trim around the latch and didn't find any evidence of water. The only place I can't see is under the tool kit. I'll have to yank it and see if it's wet leading up the side.

My next plan of attack is simply yank out some of the interior in the hatch and have my wife spray it down with water to see where it's coming in. There isn't really any other way to find it. If I can't find it after that, I'm ditching the Golf and going for a Taos or Tiguan (without a sunroof!). It's getting ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.