GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lower engine mount failure

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
SO, I think on my drag strip outing the wheel hope on my first run may have broken something and it just started becoming apparent over the last week.

I've been trying to diagnose a strange clunk that is hard to reproduce. Happens more over uneven surfaces with varying degrees of throttle input, usually when letting off the gas.

First I thought maybe the ECS end links I just installed a month ago but those looked fine. Strut bolts up top look good. Subframe bolts all nice and tight.

Then I found that my HPA lower dogbone insert looked off.

The attached picture is taken from the internet and how it should look and how mine DID look before.

Currently it is recessed about 1/2" , causing the dogbone arm to contact the crossmember and the Upper factory puck to rub the front sway bar.

I don't think I've seen this happen before on here so I'm not sure what needs done. I can probably pull the HPA puck out and get something rigged up to get the upper mount back into place, but I have concerns it would happen a gain.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 36039632650_46b50b07e3_c.jpg
    36039632650_46b50b07e3_c.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 745

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I'll get a picture tonight of how mine looks currently, again, the red puck is recessed about 1/2" :(

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
how is the top dogmount sitting physically?

It looks like it's still straight in there, just shifted up 1/2"

Could be slightly slanted but it didn't look like it when I was under the car this morning. Will be looking more after work.

The lower HPA puck looks to be in good shape. No tears and is still centered.

Plan is to see if i can rig up an adapter to pull down the top factory puck into the correct position and go from there.

I'm not sure what my options are if the upper puck is damaged.

drop the subframe and replace it that way?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
All fixed.

A bit of a pain but didn't have to drop the cross member.

The HPA puck was in perfect shape when I pulled it and the rubber in the upper puck also looked good.

Anyways, pics for those curious

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    757.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    685.8 KB · Views: 434

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
All fixed.

A bit of a pain but didn't have to drop the cross member.

The HPA puck was in perfect shape when I pulled it and the rubber in the upper puck also looked good.

Anyways, pics for those curious
Not gonna lie, that hoa mount looks more recessed than it should be.
My HPA tore apart.

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you running any aftermarket motor mounts? I imagine this would help

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

monkibouy

Passed Driver's Ed
The same odd recessed lower HPA puck issue happened to a buddy of mine. I don’t remember him mentioning it having contact with the cross member but he did say it felt ‘off’. He ended up yanking it out and going with the Racingline setup.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I wonder.....with the lower and upper oem providing a ton of resistance to up/down movement due to being press fit if more of us that went full lower replacement won't see this issue as well, especially since we lube the lower to get it in. Up and down hammering from wheel hop + less frictional resistance due to lower replacement = what we see here (i.e. top not holding)

I'll keep and eye on my powerflex hybrid but I don't drop the hammer below 40/50 much anyways so maybe less likely it happens.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
The last pictures I posted are the 'before' pictures of course.
It's all flush and correct now.

Was a pain to fix without dropping the subframe but I can confirm the upper puck is still in there very very tightly.

I think the cause was my first track outing. All season A/S3+ tires with my power level and launch control with a sticky track caused some violent wheel hop.

I think that things should stay in place as long as that doesn't happen again. All my other track passes had no wheel hop as I modulated the throttle a bit better :)